[comp.sys.amiga] A590 & Starflight

2200ai@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (01/16/90)

I recently bought Starflight from Electronic Arts.  I own a 500 and an A590
hard drive.  After playing Starflight for a while the system will crash,
lock up, or GURU.  Upon calling EA they told me that it was the A590 causing
the problem and that the only work around was to remove it from the system.
Now I think that most of you will agree that plugging and unplugging things
from the A500 bus port all the time is not a very good idea.  I asked about a\
patch and they said no plans for a patch even though they know about the
problem and from what I got from the conversation knew of the problem before
shipping.

Now I know that this is a relativly minor thing and that software companys
don't have to be compatable with everything on the market, but for God's
sake it is not equipment from a third party manufacturer even.  The A590 is
made by Commodore!  I wish that EA would stop throwing away the book from
Commodore on software compatability.  EA could not even tell me why the
program crashed.  Don't get me wrong I can get my money back on the program,
but I realy liked Starflight and us Amiga people have been waiting a long time
for Starflight.  I'll admit I am kind of pissed off at EA's attitude.  They
give the impression of "sorry, too bad, you loose."

Well thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Mike Montona

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (01/17/90)

In article <8266@nigel.udel.EDU> 2200ai@gmuvax2.gmu.edu writes:
>I recently bought Starflight from Electronic Arts.  I own a 500 and an A590
>hard drive.  After playing Starflight for a while the system will crash,
>lock up, or GURU.  Upon calling EA they told me that it was the A590 causing
>the problem and that the only work around was to remove it from the system.
What they fed you was a bunch of bullshit.  Come on developers.  Let's
start following Commodore guidelines.  I think EA is full of idiots
anyways.  Most of their games don't work on 020/030 machines at all.
Anything that follows Commodore guidelines will work on any of their
machines.  Period.  Anybody that chooses to ignore these guidlines
should get out of the business.  They are just hurting the Amiga.

>Mike Montona

                        Ralph Seguin

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu
gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (01/17/90)

In article <8266@nigel.udel.EDU> 2200ai@gmuvax2.gmu.edu writes:
>I recently bought Starflight from Electronic Arts.  I own a 500 and an A590
>hard drive.  After playing Starflight for a while the system will crash,
>lock up, or GURU.  Upon calling EA they told me that it was the A590 causing
>the problem and that the only work around was to remove it from the system.

You could try asking this question of EA: "Does the reason why Starflight
won't work on an A500 with with an A590 have anything to do with nonzero
values in memory location zero?"  Keep after them until you get connected
to someone who understands the ramifications of the question, and can
provide a definite yes or no answer.

Then ask your dealer or Commodore Customer Support if the "odd value in zero"
problem has been fixed for the A590.  I think someone from CATS said that
that was the cause.

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms