[comp.sys.amiga] Split Decision - Ami WP

JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET (JKT) (01/09/90)

Both the most recent INFO and AmigaWorld, they compare Pen Pal and
ProWrite 2.5.   INFO gave Pen Pal much higher ratings than ProWrite,
while AmigaWorld said that ProWrite was better.

I'd like opinions on which of these 2 reviews is more accurate and
reputable.  I can't believe both of them, or can I?  Whose advice
should I heed?
                                                           Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (814) 862-8630  ||   Looking for Amigas in all        ||
|| 600 E. Pollock Rd., #5705    ||   the wrong places......           ||
|| State College, PA 16801       -------------------------------------||
||   jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  or  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1             ||
||      or  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu                   QLink: KurtTappe   ||

swarren@eugene.uucp (Steve Warren) (01/10/90)

In article <90008.165456JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET> JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET (JKT) writes:
>Both the most recent INFO and AmigaWorld, they compare Pen Pal and
>ProWrite 2.5.   INFO gave Pen Pal much higher ratings than ProWrite,
>while AmigaWorld said that ProWrite was better.

Faced with the dilemma of choosing between INFO and AmigaWorld, I would
choose INFO every time.

I have seen too many examples of bad information in AmigaWorld to trust
them before any other Amiga magazine.  In addition, I happen to have a
high opinion of INFO.

--Steve
	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (01/10/90)

In article <90008.165456JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET> JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET (JKT) writes:
>Both the most recent INFO and AmigaWorld, they compare Pen Pal and
>ProWrite 2.5.   INFO gave Pen Pal much higher ratings than ProWrite,
>while AmigaWorld said that ProWrite was better.
>
>I'd like opinions on which of these 2 reviews is more accurate and
>reputable.  I can't believe both of them, or can I?  Whose advice
>should I heed?

	Each reviewer has his own opinion. You have to judge by what info they
rated each by, & how much you trust the magazine and/or reviewer.
	IMHO I would trust Info before I would trust Amigaworld. But then
that is MY opinion isn't it. I have Pen-Pal & like it. I do not have
Prowrite and can not judge it, but from what I have heard it is slow.

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (01/15/90)

In article <90008.165456JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET>, JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET (JKT) writes:
> Both the most recent INFO and AmigaWorld, they compare Pen Pal and
> ProWrite 2.5.   INFO gave Pen Pal much higher ratings than ProWrite,
> while AmigaWorld said that ProWrite was better.
>
> I'd like opinions on which of these 2 reviews is more accurate and
> reputable.  I can't believe both of them, or can I?  Whose advice
> should I heed?
>                                                            Kurt
> || Kurt Tappe   (814) 862-8630  ||   Looking for Amigas in all        ||
> || 600 E. Pollock Rd., #5705    ||   the wrong places......           ||
> || State College, PA 16801       -------------------------------------||
> ||   jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  or  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1             ||
> ||      or  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu                   QLink: KurtTappe   ||

I have Pen Pal and my wife has been doing freshman level college
work with it.  The first release tended to crash if you did
things with the menus too quickly, especially the tab requester.
They sent a free upgrade to version 1.2 a couple of months ago
which is pretty crashproof.  Our biggest problem is that
What-You-See is frequently NOT What-You-Get.  We have a Panasonic
1124 24 pin printer and use the printer fonts exclusevly.  Long
documents often break the page at a different point than on the
screen.  Sometimes lines wrap on the screen at different words
than on the printout.  This upsets my wife no end, and is reason
enough for me to NOT recommend Pen Pal for serious production
typing.  By the way, I complained to the maintenance phone number
shown in the manual and the programmer who answered said version
1.3 was being prepared for release probably in January.  He said
If I mailed him my original disk, they would copy 1.3 on to it
but at that time (mid-December) there were still bugs.

Pen Pal works perfectly if you print in the graphic mode but the
font resolution is MUCH lower than the native Panasonic 24 pin
fonts and it's so much slower.....  I have several other minor
gripes but the WYSINWYG problem is unforgiveable.

I have fooled around with ProWrite in the local Amiga store but
have not bought it.  My wife was turned off by it's interlace
mode flicker (I know that's an option).  The on-line spelling
checker is a plus over Pen Pal and I think it handles the actual
screen updating when typing faster than Pen Pal, I was not able
to out-type it at my maybe 50 wpm speed.  Excellence is horrible
in this respect, if you are an even normal speed typist, it is
useless.

I apologize for such a negative review, but I have yet to find an
Amiga word processor that my SO and I really like.  My reference
by the way, is IBM SMART which is our standard at work.

--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh

bn@attcc.UUCP (01/18/90)

> which is pretty crashproof.  Our biggest problem is that
> What-You-See is frequently NOT What-You-Get.  We have a Panasonic
> 1124 24 pin printer and use the printer fonts exclusevly.  Long
> documents often break the page at a different point than on the
> screen.  Sometimes lines wrap on the screen at different words
> than on the printout.  This upsets my wife no end, and is reason

In the review it said that if you use the 8 point font instead of the default
11 point, you will get what you see on the screen. (This is the review in
Amiga + ) You might want to try that. One thing I was wondering about, is
whether or not Pen Pal supports downloadable fonts. I have an Epson LQ printer
which has an 8K buffer to store fonts, but I don't know of any software that
will let me take an advantage of that.

Bo Najdrovsky
...!att!mwood!attcc!bn
mwood!attcc!bn@ATT.ATT.COM