[comp.sys.amiga] Lynx

n8643084@unicorn.WWU.EDU (owings matthew) (01/11/90)

	I just saw a report on the lynx on channel 7 news. They were at the
comsumer electronics show and they were talking about video games. They
showed a lynx running california games. It was in color and really looked nice.
They said it was twice as expensive as the gameboy. It looked like a nice piece
and it was obviously for real. Has anyone else seen it?

a23@mindlink.UUCP (Joel Murray) (01/13/90)

> mek writes:
>
>         I just saw a report on the lynx on channel 7 news. They were at the
> comsumer electronics show and they were talking about video games. They
> showed a lynx running california games. It was in color and really looked
> nice.
> They said it was twice as expensive as the gameboy. It looked like a nice
> piece
> and it was obviously for real. Has anyone else seen it?

> Mark Kennedy                   | AT&T: (612) 482-2787
> Control Data Corporation       | E-Mail: mek@udev.cdc.com
> CDC: Where the Classix lives on...

I saw it last week in Seattle at a specialty store called B. N. Genius,
although it was in a glass case and was not operating at the time.

I haven't seen the game machine at all here in the Great White North.

--
     //    ///         CIS: 73200,3117
   \X/oel ///urray  Usenet: a23@mindlink.UUCP

mek@punjab.udev.cdc.com (Mark Kennedy) (01/13/90)

Sullivan@cup.portal.com (sullivan - segall) (01/13/90)

>	I just saw a report on the lynx on channel 7 news. They were at the
>comsumer electronics show and they were talking about video games. They
>showed a lynx running california games. It was in color and really looked nice.
>They said it was twice as expensive as the gameboy. It looked like a nice piece
>and it was obviously for real. Has anyone else seen it?

They have them for sale at FAO Schwartz in San Francisco.  I picked up one
the other day, and have played with it for an hour or two.  (I'll have to
get a new game cartridge soon)  The color is remarkably similar to the AMiga,
but with about half the resolution of  320 screen.  Control is good with
the exception that the reset and flip functions require pressing two buttons
at once.  Overall the machine is a wonderful toy.

The biggest problem is that the game cartridges are nearly impossible to
remove.  I use my keys to pull it out.

The machine just about ts into a large pocket (ie: a jacket vest pocket,
or an overcoat pocket.)  Games are currently tailored to the arcade crowd.
Six AA batteries last about 4 hours (according to the docs).  I've yet to
burn a set out.

Any other questions?
-s

watters@penguin.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (01/15/90)

I know a little about the Lynx so I will try and share it.

It can display 16 colors out of 4,096, not 32.
It can have an unlimited # of sprites as stated, but they can also
have a size limited only to memory.  This can be used for scrolling
multiple play fields over top multiple play fields.  One example of this
that RJ stated was a golf game they have where after you hit the ball, you
take on the viewpoint of the ball with trees and landscape zooming by.
It has 4 channel sound with 8 bit d/a (sound familiar) and with 2MB carts
look for some good sound comming out of it w/ samples.
With the port you can hook multiple units together but the last I heard
the number of units was limited only to the software. The nice feature
here is that unlike the Gameboy, Only one person has to own the game!
Other things RJ discussed were, though it doesn't exhist, it would be easy
to produce a device to connect the Lynx to a monitor or tv, like the Gameboy
will have.
The 68000 was briefly looked at for the processor but was quickly ruled
out since the thing it would add over the 65C02, that it uses, would have
been size and price.
NewYork city and Japan were to be the only places that they would be sold
before christmas, about 50,000 units.

And I will leave you with a new rumor :-)
There is supposed to be scaled down version (Lynx jr.) that will have
a smaller screen and a smaller price tag, $100, and is supposed to be released
at the same time.

I also last heard that Epyx and Atari are back on track and RJ and Dave
are still there.

A lot of this info was learned from VideoGames & Computer Entertainment
and a small but juicy mag, Electronic Gaming, which I now give credit

"I know I should be studying, but just one more game!"

evtracy@sdrc.UUCP (Tracy Schuhwerk) (01/18/90)

Just a quick note to fellow Amiga fanatics who are interested in the Lynx

Sears is selling the Lynx through their catalog sales (look in the "Focus
on Toys" catalog about 5 pages from the back) for $159.00 with the "California
Games" cartidge.  I stopped by a local Sears store yesterday and checked it
out!  Really nice! I will probably pick one up to keep me busy on my lunch
hour (If finances can afford an expensive toy... new cars take a chunk out
of the Amiga and Fun budget).

 \XX/           Structural Dynamics Research Corporation        \XX/