[comp.sys.amiga] Developing for the Lynx

nsw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Neil Weinstock) (01/16/90)

All this talk about the Lynx has made me curious.  If, as seems to be the
case, the Amiga is currently the preferred development platform, is it
possible for those of us with Amigas to hack around writing Lynx programs?
Is Atari making the development systems available, or keeping it proprietary
for the time being?

Anyone know what the "official" programming language is for it?  I've never
believed that C could work real well on a 6502, but I can't see people filling
2 Meg cartridges with Assembler (yeah, I know, most of it's probably image
data, but still...)   Is there a Lynx simulator on the Amiga?

Just call me "Mr. Curious."
    ________________    __________________    _________________________
////                \\//                  \\//                         \\\\
\\\\ Neil Weinstock //\\ att!cord!nsw  or //\\ "Your hair is so...     ////
//// "Mr. Curious"  \\// nsw@cord.att.com \\//  lustre-laden." - Moss  \\\\
\\\\________________//\\__________________//\\_________________________////

dodgson@cs.wmich.edu (Harry Dodgson) (01/16/90)

In article <8581@cbnewsm.ATT.COM>, nsw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Neil Weinstock) writes:
> All this talk about the Lynx has made me curious.  If, as seems to be the
> case, the Amiga is currently the preferred development platform, is it
> possible for those of us with Amigas to hack around writing Lynx programs?
> Is Atari making the development systems available, or keeping it proprietary
> for the time being?

	The people at Atari will be happy to SELL you a development system
as they build them.  Can you afford $5000.00 for a custom board that
plugs into your Amiga?  I couldn't, therefore I didn't get one.  This
wonderful little board contains all the circuitry of a Lynx (including
display) and connects to the parallel port of the Amiga.  The Amiga
runs several programs (isn't multitasking nice?) that allows the programmer
to make changes to the code, recompile/assemble and download to the board
at the same time.  There are also debugging facilities built in.

> Anyone know what the "official" programming language is for it?  I've never
> believed that C could work real well on a 6502, but I can't see people filling
> 2 Meg cartridges with Assembler (yeah, I know, most of it's probably image
> data, but still...)   Is there a Lynx simulator on the Amiga?

	I didn't find out what language was supported, but a 4 MHz 65C02
can compete with an 8 MHz 68000 in execution cycles, so don't sell it short.
A few 16 MHz coprocessors don't hurt either.  As far as a simulator, the board
executes all the code, so simulation on the Amiga screen isn't needed.

notice: I got this info direct from the Chicago Atari office - no speculations,
no rumors, this is what the person told me.
		Harry
--
Harry Dodgson Jr.           | Internet  dodgson@cs.wmich.edu   -(35.132.4.1)-
Western Michigan University | UUCP      ...uunet!sharkey!wmichgw!wmu-cs!dodgson

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (01/18/90)

In article <759@cs.wmich.edu> dodgson@cs.wmich.edu (Harry Dodgson) writes:
>	The people at Atari will be happy to SELL you a development system
>as they build them.  Can you afford $5000.00 for a custom board that
>plugs into your Amiga?  I couldn't, therefore I didn't get one.

Nor I.  I assume this chunk of cash buys only the board & software, and
you supply the Amiga?  I suppose $5K is chump-change for the game houses,
but ow! it sure isn't for us mortals.

>	I didn't find out what language was supported, but a 4 MHz 65C02
>can compete with an 8 MHz 68000 in execution cycles, so don't sell it short.
>A few 16 MHz coprocessors don't hurt either.  As far as a simulator, the
>board executes all the code, so simulation on the Amiga screen isn't needed.

Sort of related question: whatever happened to the 6809 chip?  I always
thought it had a lot going for it, too, as 8-bit chips go.  The only
commercial computer/game that I know for sure used it was the Tandy Co-Co.
--
>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
   "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo System Division of H.P.

uace0@uhnix2.uh.edu (Michael B. Vederman) (01/18/90)

>Sort of related question: whatever happened to the 6809 chip?  I always
>thought it had a lot going for it, too, as 8-bit chips go.  The only
>commercial computer/game that I know for sure used it was the Tandy Co-Co.
>--
>>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
>   "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo System Division of H.P

The 6809 was used on some of the Williams games:  Robotron,Stargate,Joust.

- Paul

Double Click Me | Double Click Software | P.O. Box 741206 | Houston, Tx, 77274
Support BBS: (713)944-0108 | SHADOW | DC FORMATTER | DC UTILITIES | and others

boncelet@udel.edu (Charles Boncelet) (01/19/90)

>Sort of related question: whatever happened to the 6809 chip?  I always
>thought it had a lot going for it, too, as 8-bit chips go.  The only
>commercial computer/game that I know for sure used it was the Tandy Co-Co.
>--
>>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
>   "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo System Division of H.P.

The 6809 was used in the Vectrex vector graphics video game.  In my
opinion, this was (is) an excellent product.  Unfortunately, they
went belly up.  RIP.

	Charlie Boncelet  <boncelet@huey.udel.edu>