[comp.sys.amiga] The Insider II

a23@mindlink.UUCP (Joel Murray) (01/13/90)

I saw an ad in the latest Amazing Computing concerning the new Insider II ram
expansion unit for the Amiga 1000.  I've had an Insider for years and was
wondering what the difference was between the old Insider and the New,
Improved, Insider II.

Does anyone have any info on it?

--
     //    ///         CIS: 73200,3117
   \X/oel ///urray  Usenet: a23@mindlink.UUCP

brant@alberta.uucp (Brant Coghlan) (01/17/90)

In article <927@mindlink.UUCP> a23@mindlink.UUCP (Joel Murray) writes:
>I saw an ad in the latest Amazing Computing concerning the new Insider II ram
>expansion unit for the Amiga 1000.  I've had an Insider for years and was
>wondering what the difference was between the old Insider and the New,
>Improved, Insider II.
>
>Does anyone have any info on it?
According to the makers, Michigan Software, the Insider II is a redesigned
Insider I.  It increases the added memory from 1 meg to 1.5 megs and uses
the newer 256x4 chips.  The unit is smaller than the old board which might
mean that it could work in amigas other than the 1000, but you should check
with them to be sure.  It has a battery backed clock.
	Prices (from memory):  $429 with 1.5 Meg, $349 0K

-Brant

I'm not affiliated with Michigan Software, other than being the happy owner
of an Insider I for over 2 years.

--
 Brant Coghlan	(grad student)  (403) 487-3619     ...!alberta!brant
 Dept. of Comp. Science, 615 GSB, U of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

McTAG@cup.portal.com (Timothy John McTaggart) (01/18/90)

I just finished putting the new INSIDER II into my A1000... I got it without
any memory. It came with a clock chip and uses the 256x4 chips. I bought the
256x4x80ns chips... I don't know if 80ns is over kill - I am not into hardware
just software. Those chips were 12.95 each (needed 12), I paid 198.00 for the
INSIDER II.

My Amiga is running fine - all 2megs (full up). And my Cltd scsi controller /
Seagate ST296N are zipping right along. It's neat multitasking while online
downloading software.

Oh and the INSIDER II says "By DKB Software" 313-685-2383 Michigan USA!

Later - TIM MCT

In <26071@cup.portal.com>, McTAG@cup.portal.com (Timothy John McTaggart) writes:

>Oh and the INSIDER II says "By DKB Software" 313-685-2383 Michigan USA!

For those of a curious nature, DKB is Dean K.  Brown, the designer of the
Insider and the Insider II.

-larry

--
"Cavett Emptor - Let the talk show host beware!" - Evan Marcus