[comp.sys.amiga] Atari Trak-Ball

reynaldo@athena.mit.edu (Rey Villarreal) (01/16/90)

Sorry but this poor MIT student with no brains, as a recent flamer
will attest, has a gasp! question.

I recently bought an Atari 2600 Trak Ball( model cx22 ) and would like
to use it with marble madness or better yet as a mouse. Since it
theoreticly can handle 360 movement I am wondering how one could
accomplish this task or if it is even possible. I only paid about
$4.00 at the local Kay-Bee so I figured it was worth a shot.

-Brainless (gee I didn't see a smily) Rey Villarreal

---Worlds most ardent Oiler fan

reynaldo@athena.mit.edu (Rey Villarreal) writes:
>I recently bought an Atari 2600 Trak Ball( model cx22 ) and would like
>to use it with marble madness or better yet as a mouse. Since it

There is a simple way to use the Atari Trackball with marble madness or
any other game that can use a joystick.

There is a switch on the bottom that select whether the Trakball is in
Trakball mode or Joystick mode. Just switch it to "joystick". On Marble
Madness, just select joystick on port 2, plug in the trakball to port
2 and go for it.

If you want to use the trackball as a mouse, you have to do some rewiring
as the pinouts are not the same as the mouse's. There was an article in
an old issure of Amazing Computing on how to do this. I don't know which
issue it was now, but it's been about 2 years ago.

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406