[comp.sys.amiga] ST-506 on A1000

Scott_Lawrence_Maxwell@cup.portal.com (01/18/90)

I just got 2 10meg ST-506 drives and decided I want to hook them to my
1000.  Anybody know where I can get a controller at a good price?
Any help greatly appreciated.

Scott Maxwell

McTAG@cup.portal.com (Timothy John McTaggart) (01/19/90)

Assuming you allready have an SCSI controller... To run an ST506 drive on an
Amiga you need a SCSI to ST506 card. I got mine for 130 dollars. It is a
Adaptec 4000a card - but... the 4070 is better since it will format in a more
higher density (can't remember all these terms).

If you are in the SF Bay area I would sudjest a visit to Computer Surplus in
Milpitas.

Tim McT

In <26079@cup.portal.com>, McTAG@cup.portal.com (Timothy John McTaggart) writes:
>Assuming you allready have an SCSI controller... To run an ST506 drive on an
>Amiga you need a SCSI to ST506 card. I got mine for 130 dollars. It is a
>Adaptec 4000a card - but... the 4070 is better since it will format in a more
>higher density (can't remember all these terms).

You must be careful here.. the 4070 is an RLL controller, and s such, should
only be used with RLL certified drives. While you can somethimes get away with
formatting an MFM drive as RLL, it isn't a good idea. It might format fine, or
not, and even if it does, it might start losing data within a few days or
weeks.

-larry

--
"Cavett Emptor - Let the talk show host beware!" - Evan Marcus

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (01/20/90)

In article <26079@cup.portal.com> McTAG@cup.portal.com (Timothy John McTaggart) writes:
>Assuming you allready have an SCSI controller... To run an ST506 drive on an
>Amiga you need a SCSI to ST506 card. I got mine for 130 dollars. It is a
>Adaptec 4000a card - but... the 4070 is better since it will format in a more
>higher density (can't remember all these terms).
>
>If you are in the SF Bay area I would sudjest a visit to Computer Surplus in
>Milpitas.

	If you don't already have a SCSI controller you don't need to get one.
If you are a hardware hacker try the MAX controller; cheap and easy. If you're
not check out the Wedge. Both let you attach an IBM hard disk controller to
the Amiga expansion bus.