[comp.sys.amiga] Cables for NEC IIa multisync to A2000

daves@fs1.ee.ubc.ca (Dave Small) (01/12/90)

I've just ordered a NEC multisync IIa for my A2000.  Does it come with
the proper cables, or should I start looking around now for a set?

If I need to get separate cables, does anyone have a suggestion as to
where I might start looking?

--
Dave Small;    EE Dept, UBC; 2356 Main Mall; Vancouver, BC; V6T 1W5 Canada
daves@ee.ubc.ca                               uunet!ubc-cs!ee.ubc.ca!daves

pselver@ssi3b1.zone1.com (Peter Selverstone) (01/15/90)

In article <935@fs1.ee.ubc.ca> daves@fs1.ee.ubc.ca (Dave Small) writes:

>I've just ordered a NEC multisync IIa for my A2000.  Does it come with
>the proper cables, or should I start looking around now for a set?

The NEC MultiSync 2A is, curiously enough, not a multiscanning monitor.
It is a VGA (and Super-VGA) monitor.  It will work fine if you have a
flicker fixer board, but it cannot be connected directly to the Amiga.
If you are not ready to get a flicker fixer, then I'd suggest you change
your order to a NEC 3D which can be used either way.  No special cables
are needed to connect a NEC 3D to a flicker fixer, but for any other
combination you will need a cable.  The usual source is Redmond Cable
(206) 882-2009.

--
Peter Selverstone ...{mit-eddie,pyramid,datacube}!mirror!ssi3b1!pselver
Spy Pond Systems  pselver@ssi3b1.zone1.com

ayr@pollux.hut.fi (Ari Yrj|l{) (01/18/90)

In article <1990Jan15.052443.23284@ssi3b1.zone1.com> pselver@ssi3b1.UUCP (Peter Selverstone) writes:

>The NEC MultiSync 2A is, curiously enough, not a multiscanning monitor.
>It is a VGA (and Super-VGA) monitor.  It will work fine if you have a
>flicker fixer board, but it cannot be connected directly to the Amiga.

That sounds strange. I had no problems connecting NEC Multisync IIA to
my Amiga. I just made a cable with RGB, sync and ground signals connected
and everything worked fine.

If you know what you're talking about then I guess NEC is selling
different monitor under same name here in Europe...

-->    // This msg is sent by:  Ari  Yrjola  + Internet: ayrjola@kampi.hut.fi
-->:: // Address: JMT 3B 231b                + BITNET:   lk-ay@finhut.bitnet
--> :X/          02150 ESPOO ,Finland,Europe + VoiceNet: +358-0-468 3088

rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Richard Champeaux) (01/19/90)

In article <1990Jan17.172823.13660@santra.uucp>, ayr@pollux.hut.fi (Ari Yrj|l{) writes:
> In article <1990Jan15.052443.23284@ssi3b1.zone1.com> pselver@ssi3b1.UUCP (Peter Selverstone) writes:
>
> >The NEC MultiSync 2A is, curiously enough, not a multiscanning monitor.
> >It is a VGA (and Super-VGA) monitor.  It will work fine if you have a
> >flicker fixer board, but it cannot be connected directly to the Amiga.
>

> That sounds strange. I had no problems connecting NEC Multisync IIA to
> my Amiga. I just made a cable with RGB, sync and ground signals connected
> and everything worked fine.
>
> If you know what you're talking about then I guess NEC is selling
> different monitor under same name here in Europe...
>

> -->    // This msg is sent by:  Ari  Yrjola  + Internet: ayrjola@kampi.hut.fi
> -->:: // Address: JMT 3B 231b                + BITNET:   lk-ay@finhut.bitnet
> --> :X/          02150 ESPOO ,Finland,Europe + VoiceNet: +358-0-468 3088
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I bought my NEC 2A for use with my flicker-fixer and was a little upset when
I discovered that it was only VGA and Super VGA.  I wanted to build or buy
a switchbox like I saw at a store that would allow me to switch either my
flicker-fixer or amiga output to the monitor.  But now that I have reread the
NEC 2A manual, maybe it will work with my Amiga RGB.

This is the paragraph that made me think it was only VGA and Super-VGA:

      The MultiSync 2A, an Intelligent Monitor from NEC, is a high resolution
   color monitor that automatically adjusts or senses multiple scanning
   frequencies generated from graphics adapters.  The MultiSync 2A accepts
   horizontal scan frequences of 31.5kHz and 35kHz and vertical scan
   frequencies of 56Hz, 60Hz, and 70Hz.

These are VGA and Super-VGA frequencies, as it mentions in the next paragraph.

This next paragraph is the one that now maybe makes me think that it will
support the Amiga RGB:

      As you can see, "design" was the top priority with the MultiSync 2A.
   With the intelligence to support the hardware timings of IBM's VGA and
   MCGA, the MultiSync 2A was  also designed to be compatible with many
   ^^^^^
   non-IBM boards supporting the Super VGA resolution of 800x600.

Doesn't MCGA operate at 15.? kHz?

Rich Champeaux  (rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu)

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (01/19/90)

      There is an article in this month's Modern Electronics by
 TJ Byers in which the following data is presented:

 NEC MultiSync  GS2A            2A              3D
 CRT Type       Monochrome      Color           Color
 CRT Size       14              14              14
 Dot Pitch      N.A.            0.31            0.28
 Bandwidth (MHz)38              28              45
 HFreq (kHz)    31.5,35.2       31.5,35.2       15.5-38
 VFreq (Hz)     56,60,66.7,70   56,60,66.7,70   50-90
 Input Signal   Analog          Analog          Analog, TTL
 Weight (lbs)   19              28              35
 Power (watts)  40              90              90
 Warranty       2 yrs           2 yrs           2 yrs
 List           $349            $799            $1049

  "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.
        Love is the Law, Love under Will." - Tau Mega Therion
      Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
       uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
               a186@mindlink.UUCP

pselver@ssi3b1.zone1.com (Peter Selverstone) (01/19/90)

In article <1990Jan17.172823.13660@santra.uucp> ayr@pollux.hut.fi (Ari Yrj|l{) writes:
>In article <1990Jan15.052443.23284@ssi3b1.zone1.com> pselver@ssi3b1.UUCP (Peter Selverstone) writes:
>
>>The NEC MultiSync 2A is, curiously enough, not a multiscanning monitor.
>>It is a VGA (and Super-VGA) monitor.  It will work fine if you have a
>>flicker fixer board, but it cannot be connected directly to the Amiga.
>>
>That sounds strange. I had no problems connecting NEC Multisync IIA to
>my Amiga. I just made a cable with RGB, sync and ground signals connected
>and everything worked fine.
>
>If you know what you're talking about then I guess NEC is selling
>different monitor under same name here in Europe...

In the US, the NEC MultiSync II (which IS a multiscanning monitor) has
been discontinued and replaced by the MultiSync 3D.  NEC's model numbering
scheme is very confusing.  The 2A is not the same as the II.
--

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (01/20/90)

In article <7697@hubcap.clemson.edu> rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Richard Champeaux) writes:
>This next paragraph is the one that now maybe makes me think that it will
>support the Amiga RGB:
>   With the intelligence to support the hardware timings of IBM's VGA and
>   MCGA...
>   ^^^^
>Doesn't MCGA operate at 15.? kHz?

Rich -
     No; MCGA is a 400-line version of the CGA card with a couple of extra
features. 1) It double-draws each line in any of the normal graphics modes,
much like the FlickrFixer does for lower-resolution Amiga screens. This
eliminates those annoying scan lines. 2) It provides an enhanced, VGA-quality
text screen. 3) It provides some extra graphics mode, the exact capabilities
of which I don't know; I've been told several different things by several
different people who ought to know what they're talking about but keep
contradicting each other :-(. I THINK the extra modes are 640*200, eight
colour, and 320*200, sixteen colour. (These could be wrong).
     At any rate, as far as the monitor is concerned, MCGA has the same
scan rates as a VGA screen.
                                                            - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti, Editor, LOW ORBIT | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | CIS 72406,370 |