[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaUUCP problem

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (the Wizard of Speed and Time) (01/18/90)

I realize I should just ask Matt Dillon about this, but there seems
to be a long propgaation delay between he and I, so hopefully someone
closer can answer this.

OK, I am running AmigaUUCP 1.00D downloaded straight from ucbvax the
first day it was up.  Everything seems to be working fine
except for transferring a files between UNIX and amiga when on the
UNIX end.  The problem seems to lie in the fact that I can't figure out the
correct command line syntax for uucp on my UNIX account.

For a prelim, my uulib:Security file on my amiga caontains these 2 lines:
tmp: rw
uupub: rw

Now, ON MY AMIGA I can transfer file to and from the UNIX machine with
no difficulties whatsoever.

On UNIX, no go since the UNIX uucp constructs an invalid (for Amiga)
path, to wit:
% uucp foo sauron\!tmp:foo
sends up a request to transfer /usr/me/foo to /usr/me/tmp:foo on the amiga.
This is bad.
% uucp foo sauron\!/tmp:foo
requests that /usr/me/foo go to /tmp:foo on the amiga.  Also bad.
% uucp foo sauron\!/tmp/foo
doesn't work either.

So - can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and what the UNIX uucp
syntax should be, or is there no workaround (which I find hard to
believe)?

advTHANKSance!

--
Rich Carreiro - Most Biased Boston Celtics Fan!   "So long, farewell, and may
ARPA: rlcarr@space.mit.edu                         the forces of evil become

magik@sorinc.UUCP (Darrin A. Hyrup) (01/20/90)

In article <1990Jan18.084822.3682@athena.mit.edu> rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (the Wizard of Speed and Time) writes:
>I realize I should just ask Matt Dillon about this, but there seems
>to be a long propgaation delay between he and I, so hopefully someone
>closer can answer this.

Its even longer at the moment since he is away for a week or so, and so
cannot read his mail. (Actually, his system isn't even up right now, so all
his mail is piling up at my site, waiting for him to return.) <grin>

Also, since he doesn't have access to the net anymore, I usually forward
the important stuff onto him as it comes in here.  Once he has more time
we'll probably set up a news feed for him, but he's too busy at the moment.

So, for the most part I am going to be trying to answer any net-based
questions that come in regarding this release. Since I helped to develop
it, I'm fairly sure I'll be able to handle any questions that come up. ;-)

>OK, I am running AmigaUUCP 1.00D downloaded straight from ucbvax the
>first day it was up.  Everything seems to be working fine
>except for transferring a files between UNIX and amiga when on the
>UNIX end.  The problem seems to lie in the fact that I can't figure out the
>correct command line syntax for uucp on my UNIX account.

There have been a number of changes made since it was placed up on ucbvax,
and since many people have asked how to get it, I would suggest to anyone
who wants the latest release of the software to send Matt a check or money
order for $10 (to cover costs of disks, shipping, and his time) directly to
him at:

          Matthew Dillon
          891 Regal Rd.
          Berkeley, CA  94708

>For a prelim, my uulib:Security file on my amiga caontains these 2 lines:
>tmp: rw
>uupub: rw

So far so good.

>Now, ON MY AMIGA I can transfer file to and from the UNIX machine with
>no difficulties whatsoever.
>
>On UNIX, no go since the UNIX uucp constructs an invalid (for Amiga)
>path, to wit:
>
>[Examples removed]
>
>So - can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and what the UNIX uucp
>syntax should be, or is there no workaround (which I find hard to
>believe)?

There is nothing wrong with your syntax.  What is happening is that UNIX
UUCP alters the request so that files transferred go to the same parent
directory on the recieving end as they exist on the sending end for some
reason, unless you specify a tilde (~) in the transfer request. For
example:

    uucp foo sauron\!~uucp/foo

would transfer the file "foo" in the current directory to the uucp spool
directory on the destination. That would also work with the Amiga except
that the version of AmigaUUCP on ucbvax doesn't support named directories
like this yet, so that is right out. I believe the version that Matt is
sending out now does indeed support this, or soon will.

One way to kludge it now would be to make a directory named "~tmp:" or
something and do the transfer as:

    uucp foo sauron\!~tmp:foo

or at least that SHOULD work, but I don't guarantee it since I haven't
tested it myself.

>advTHANKSance!
>
>Rich Carreiro - Most Biased Boston Celtics Fan!   "So long, farewell, and may

Hope that helps,

      Darrin Hyrup
--
Darrin A. Hyrup              // AMIGA Enthusiast         rencon!esfenn!dah
magik@sorinc.PacBell.COM   \X/ & Software Developer   pacbell!sorinc!magik