[comp.sys.amiga] Remember Newsbreak?

blaine@worsel.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (01/17/90)

Remember Newsbreak, that wonderful little program by Fred Walter?
It automatically unpacked the postings to the moderated program groups,
then pasted together multipart archives and uudecoded them. It was a
wonderful timesaver, but it doesn't work on the new postings from Tad
Guy. This seems to be because the ".zuu01" suffix is different from what
Newsbreak is expecting.

(Note: No criticism of Tad is expressed or implied. I'm happy that's he's
taken over an often thankless job.)

Has anyone got an updated version of Newsbreak? Or a similar program that
runs on the Amiga instead of Unix?

	Thanks, Blaine.

--
Blaine Gardner @ worsel     UUCP: uunet!iconsys!caeco!i-core!worsel!blaine
                                        utah-cs!caeco!i-core!worsel!blaine

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (01/20/90)

In article <1417.AA1417@worsel> blaine@worsel.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
> Remember Newsbreak, that wonderful little program by Fred Walter?
> it doesn't work on the new postings from Tad Guy. This seems to be
> because the ".zuu01" suffix is different from what Newsbreak is
> expecting.

Right.  However, because of the leading zero, submissions requiring
more than 10 parts can be unpacked with:

	cat foo.zuu?? | uudecode

instead of more complicated things (like cat foo.zuu1? foo.zuu?, etc).

> Has anyone got an updated version of Newsbreak? Or a similar program that
> runs on the Amiga instead of Unix?

Fred Walter (the author) does.  I've been in contact with him about
this (and a couple of other things about newsbreak) and he's enhanced
it.  Look for it in comp.sources.misc (not comp.sources.amiga, since
it's far more general) soon...

	...tad