[comp.sys.amiga] A3000 Rumor - InfoWorld

daveegan@dhw68k.cts.com (Dave Egan) (01/04/90)

Welcome back to the net, vacationeers!!!!!

Here's a juicy roomer I read in the most current InfoWorld  (date ??)

Irving Gould, speaking in New Zealand, was rumored to have said.....

March 1990 availability of the .....
   A3000 Amiga machine
         - 68030 @ 25mhz

   Unix V, Rel 4
	 - with ABI - run any 68030 ABI software (A?? Binary Interchange??)
           (BTW- I've heard that AMIX 'taint no more, since C-A has fully
	         implemented Unix V.4, they can now call it Unix)

    w/300meg Hard Drive (no specs)
      6meg   RAM

     $7000

Anybody care to substantiate or refute?   ( B^}  )

Happy New Year.

Dave Egan                                           | Radio: KC6HLW
      uucp: ...{spsd,zardox,felix}!dhw68k!daveegan  |        (\KT !)
  InterNet: daveegan@dhw68k.cts.com                 |

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (01/05/90)

In article <28899@dhw68k.cts.com> daveegan@dhw68k.cts.com (Dave Egan) writes:
>   Unix V, Rel 4
>	 - with ABI - run any 68030 ABI software (A?? Binary Interchange??)
>           (BTW- I've heard that AMIX 'taint no more, since C-A has fully
>	         implemented Unix V.4, they can now call it Unix)

We could call it Unix before (System V R3 I mean).  We are staying
with the name Amix because we like like.

ABI (Application Binary Interface) is a standardization of a binary
interface for programs.  This standardization would allow some random
to compile an application for the m68k on any ABI machine and have it
run on any other m68k-ABI machine.

For instance, when we went over to Motorola to show them our current
system, they just grabbed the korn shell binary off of one of their
68k boxes and it ran on our amiga System V Release 3.2 (this was a
while a go) with no problems.

Pax, Keith
--
ag@amix.commodore.com        Keith Gabryelski          ...!cbmvax!amix!ag

daveegan@dhw68k.cts.com (Dave Egan) writes:

>Welcome back to the net, vacationeers!!!!!
>Here's a juicy roomer I read in the most current InfoWorld  (date ??)
>March 1990 availability of the .....
>   A3000 Amiga machine
>         - 68030 @ 25mhz

Gee where have you been? On vacation? ;-) The Amiga 3000 is old news here on
the net. [Actually you posted more information than I have seen on the machine
so far]

What I want to know is:

If the Amiga 3000 is a 68030 box @ 25Mhz, then what (other than speed) is the
difference between the 3000 and the 2500/30?

Will the 3000 have the 030 on the motherboard and NO 68000? Will it be
compatible with standard Amiga software then? Will it have 32 bit slots? Will
there be any hardware for said slots?

And the $3500 question: Will the 3000 be worth paying twice the cost of a
2500/30 for?

And I can almost guarantee the release of the 3000 within a year. You see, I
have this streak of strange luck.... Every time I buy a computer, it becomes
obsolete within a year. ;-)

My first computer was an Atari 400. Within a year it was replaced by the 800XL.
So I merrily plopped down bucks for that. Within a year it was replaced by the
800XE and then the Atari ST. I was fed up by then so I bought an Amiga 1000.
Yep, sure enough a year or so later CBM came out with the 500 and 2000.

I bet you've noticed that there haven't been much changes in the Amiga since
the 2000 came out? Well, that's because I have been holding out on getting one
since my Amiga 1000 does perfectly good by me. Once, I considered getting a
2000, and sure enough there were rumors of an Amiga 3000 coming out. I changed
my mind, and the rumors turned into the April fools gag with the Mac II.

Well for the last few months I have been saving up for the 2000, and within
those few months we have CBM coming out with the new chip set, and more Rumors
of the 3000. I plan on getting a 2000 in February or March, so the release of
the 3000 is imminent and the poor 2000 will become old technology within a year
or so.

Hey, do you think that I might be able to make some bucks on this? I can take
up collections (bribes) to buy up new computers, forcing technology to ever
march forward! Every time someone thinks that progress is in the doldrums, they
can buy me the current state-of-the-art computer and Poof! it will be replaced
by a newer system on the market.

---useless prediction for the year 2000 follows ---- :-)
CBM will release the Amiga 4500 with built in emulations for all standard home
computers, VAX, SUN, and CRAY. :-)
[They should have named the Amiga... the Chameleon]
--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (01/06/90)

In article <284@amix.commodore.com> ag@amix.commodore.com writes:

   For instance, when we went over to Motorola to show them our current
   system, they just grabbed the korn shell binary off of one of their
   68k boxes and it ran on our amiga System V Release 3.2 (this was a
   while a go) with no problems.

YAAAH!

If Commodore can get this thing out on dealer shelves in short order (like 3-4
months tops :-), CBM might very well clean up!  I hope Commodore will help
dealers get at this non-Commodore, non-Amiga software (like the above) in
order to get this machine a significant backing when it hits the shelves.
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mt. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (01/06/90)

In article <284@amix.commodore.com> ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) writes:
>[...]
>For instance, when we went over to Motorola to show them our current
>system, they just grabbed the korn shell binary off of one of their
>68k boxes and it ran on our amiga System V Release 3.2 (this was a
>while a go) with no problems.

	Speaking of which, you *are* going to include the
	Korn shell in your system, n'est'ce pas?

Cheers,
--
  \\\\	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \66/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (01/08/90)

john> What I want to know is:

john> If the Amiga 3000 is a 68030 box @ 25Mhz, then what (other than speed) is the
john> difference between the 3000 and the 2500/30?

And do you really expect an answer, as if Commodore is going to give
out specifications for an unreleased product in response to a net
query?

john> My first computer was an Atari 400. Within a year it was replaced by the 800XL.
john> So I merrily plopped down bucks for that. Within a year it was replaced by the
john> 800XE and then the Atari ST. I was fed up by then so I bought an Amiga 1000.
john> Yep, sure enough a year or so later CBM came out with the 500 and 2000.

That's the price you pay for progress.  I'd much rather be using an
Amiga 2000 than an Atari 400, which is what you'd still be using if
computer companies didn't introduce new machines.  Would you rather
have that?

						--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.

dalka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (kenneth.j.dalka) (01/08/90)

> Well for the last few months I have been saving up for the 2000, and within
> those few months we have CBM coming out with the new chip set, and more Rumors
> of the 3000. I plan on getting a 2000 in February or March, so the release of
> the 3000 is imminent and the poor 2000 will become old technology within a year

This is a good question. Will the 2000 be obsolete? I suspect not because
if commodore was retiring the machine, it would not be doing new development
on the machine such as the enhanced chip set. Of course, one might consider
running a 68000 at 7 Mhz old technology but that's a whole different arguement.
(Please don't flame me too badly for this. I like the machine and I just can't
help it that this bugs me) Also, I don't see what the 3000 could do that the
accelerator boards don't give you. They almost have to put a plain 68000 in
the machine other wise there would be too much software that wouldn't run on
it unless this is a whole new breed of machine.... But I'm sure I must be
missing something becasue if it was that simple it wouldn't cost so much.
Maybe they want to charge an arm and a leg for UNIX.....I'm sure UNIX is/was
a lot of work for them.
--

					Ken Dalka (Bell Labs)
					att!ihlpz!dalka

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (01/09/90)

In article <12635@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> dalka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (kenneth.j.dalka) writes:
>Will the 2000 be obsolete?

	I'm sure that I recall a statement by Commodore way back when the
2000 came out.  It went something like "The Amiga 2000 will always be
compatible (upgradeable?) with all future hardware and software releases."

	Do I remember this correctly?  Will someone from Commodore please
confirm or deny this?

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science          Baltimore, MD  21218 |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (01/10/90)

writes:
>Maybe they want to charge an arm and a leg for UNIX

Hopefully not.  Commodore is trying to come out with a low cost Unix
workstation.  An arm and leg is not in our pricing scheme.

Pax, Keith
--

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>And do you really expect an answer, as if Commodore is going to give
>out specifications for an unreleased product in response to a net
>query?

Actually I didn't expect CBM to reply, I figured maybe someone else might
have some inside info they would be willing to share.

>john> Yep, sure enough a year or so later CBM came out with the 500 and 2000.

>That's the price you pay for progress.  I'd much rather be using an
>Amiga 2000 than an Atari 400, which is what you'd still be using if
>computer companies didn't introduce new machines.  Would you rather
>have that?

It was a Joke, son. Ah Made a Funny, Yah're Sposed to Laff, son. Get it?
Actually didn't someone (Peter?) say that we decided that all this techno
fluff was wrong and that the actual best computer was the Timex Sinclair?

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406
If we weren't supposed to juggle, tennis balls wouldn't come three to a can.

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (01/11/90)

>john> 800XE and then the Atari ST. I was fed up by then so I bought an Amiga
>1000.
>john> Yep, sure enough a year or so later CBM came out with the 500 and 2000.

BUT , I have YET to see a need to upgrade my 1000!

(well, a 2500UX or 3000 will do it) ... but when I switch , It will only be
for the >HIGH< end applications that need the '030.  MOST of the stuff will
run , UN-MODIFIED.. on a >STOCK< 1000 3-4 YEARS after I got it.

C'mon .. it sounds to me like you just LIKE the latest thing , not that
anyone is FORCING YOU.

Everything I say is (c) 1990, except the stuff I stole from someone else
and the stuff I don't want responsibility for.

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

geneh@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Eugene R. Heitman) (01/11/90)

In article <288@amix.commodore.com>, ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) writes:
> In article <12635@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> dalka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (kenneth.j.dalka)
> writes:
> >Maybe they want to charge an arm and a leg for UNIX
> workstation.  An arm and leg is not in our pricing scheme.
>
> Pax, Keith
> --
> ag@amix.commodore.com        Keith Gabryelski          ...!cbmvax!amix!ag

Speaking of Amix, I'm curious to know what are the minimum and recommended
resources needed to run Amix.  How much memory does it need (bare minimum)
and how much should you have?  How much space on a hard drive will it take
up and how much hard drive space is necessary to run efficiently?
Gene Heitman

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (01/15/90)

In article <1291@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>What I want to know is:
>
>If the Amiga 3000 is a 68030 box @ 25Mhz, then what (other than speed) is the
>difference between the 3000 and the 2500/30?
>
>Will the 3000 have the 030 on the motherboard and NO 68000? Will it be
>compatible with standard Amiga software then? Will it have 32 bit slots? Will
>there be any hardware for said slots?
>
>And the $3500 question: Will the 3000 be worth paying twice the cost of a
>2500/30 for?

Hmmm.... Well, I have an Amiga 2500/30.  I am rather pleased with it. That
is to say, it's fast fast fast.   I am of the opinion that the 3000 will have
features that will merit the higher cost.  I don't think it will be a 25 MHz
machine, unless it is an 040 machine.  32 bit slots?   I doubt it.  The only
real use for 32 bit slots is for memory.  Can you imagine a 32 bit multifunction
card?  32 bit custom chips, however, seem to be an interesting prospect.
>--
>John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
>sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406
>Lead me not into temptation. I can find it myself.

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad@goliath.eecs.umich.edu   Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET

Ralph Seguin               |  In order to get infinitely many monkeys to type
11010 Lighthouse Dr. #234  | something that actually makes sense, you need to
Belleville, MI 48111       | have infinitely many monkey editors as well.
(313) 697-1048

root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Systems Staff) (01/17/90)

In article <480ec12c.19ac2@wasp.engin.umich.edu> gilgalad@caen.UUCP (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>In article <1291@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>machine, unless it is an 040 machine.  32 bit slots?   I doubt it.  The only
>real use for 32 bit slots is for memory. Can you imagine a 32 bit multifunction
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	I don't know anything about the '3000, but it seems to me that there
	are a bunch of interesting applications that can use 32 bit access
	to memory eg graphics cards, network boards (FDDI anyone?), disk
	controllers (sync SCSI is 4 mB/sec, IPI even faster), etc.  You
	need to be a little forward thinking here.  Remember it takes Commodore
	a fair amount of time to grind out a new machine, and therefore any
	new machine should stretch their current technology to the limits just
	to ride through the next development cycle.  Current generation Macs
	and PCs both have 32 bit slots so I hope we see same on the next
	Amiga.

>Ralph Seguin               |  In order to get infinitely many monkeys to type

					Rick Spanbauer
					State U of NY/Stony Brook

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (01/17/90)

In article <480ec12c.19ac2@wasp.engin.umich.edu> gilgalad@caen.UUCP (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>Hmmm.... Well, I have an Amiga 2500/30.  I am rather pleased with it. That
>is to say, it's fast fast fast.   I am of the opinion that the 3000 will have
>features that will merit the higher cost.  I don't think it will be a 25 MHz
>machine, unless it is an 040 machine.  32 bit slots?   I doubt it.  The only
>real use for 32 bit slots is for memory.  Can you imagine a 32 bit multifunction
>card?  32 bit custom chips, however, seem to be an interesting prospect.

Maybe not a 32 bit multifunction card, but I sure could use a couple of
32 bit card slots for high-speed data acquisition and specialized
number crunching. I'm not sure that my wishes would be worth the extra
cost, but I sure wouldn't complain if they put them in.

If it has provision for 32bit memory cards on the bus, then I expect
I could make very good use of that space for pulling in waveforms at
a pretty good clip :^)

Also, what about other high-speed applications that could make use
of a 32 bit path - like coprocessors and graphics accellerators?

Kent Polk

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (01/20/90)

In article <24903@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.UUCP (Kent D. Polk) writes:
|In article <480ec12c.19ac2@wasp.engin.umich.edu> gilgalad@caen.UUCP (Ralph Seguin) writes:
|>Hmmm.... Well, I have an Amiga 2500/30.  I am rather pleased with it. That
|>is to say, it's fast fast fast.   I am of the opinion that the 3000 will have
|>features that will merit the higher cost.  I don't think it will be a 25 MHz
|>machine, unless it is an 040 machine.  32 bit slots?   I doubt it.  The only
|>real use for 32 bit slots is for memory.  Can you imagine a 32 bit multifunction
|>card?  32 bit custom chips, however, seem to be an interesting prospect.
|
|Maybe not a 32 bit multifunction card, but I sure could use a couple of
|32 bit card slots for high-speed data acquisition and specialized
|number crunching. I'm not sure that my wishes would be worth the extra
|cost, but I sure wouldn't complain if they put them in.
|
|If it has provision for 32bit memory cards on the bus, then I expect
|I could make very good use of that space for pulling in waveforms at
|a pretty good clip :^)
|
|Also, what about other high-speed applications that could make use
|of a 32 bit path - like coprocessors and graphics accellerators?

	The 2630 card has a header on the top which
	passes the 32-bit bus, so all those applications
	needing hi-speed access to hundreds of megabytes
	of memory or superfast peripherals can use it.

	The 32 bit access to custom chips isn't likely,
	and it's possible the 3000 won't have this either.
	It may have 32-bit access on the motherboard,
	but it'll probably still need to be compatible
	with the current bus. I wonder if it'll have a
	32-bit bus on the intel side (assuming there'll
	still be support for it in the 3000)?

--
  ,,,,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \$$/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu