[comp.sys.amiga] SA4D/Silver --> Dynamic?

R38@PSUVM.BITNET (01/17/90)

Sound interesting?  Has anyone done this?  Is there anyone willing to try
it?
I would love to render 24 bit files and display them in Dynamic Hires
(ok, not quite 16 mil colors, but no ham junk!)
Please E-Mail me!

Marc Rifkin... R38@PSUVM
814-867-4837

hrlaser@sactoh0.UUCP (Harv R. Laser) (01/18/90)

In article <90017.003919R38@PSUVM.BITNET>, R38@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
> Sound interesting?  Has anyone done this?  Is there anyone willing to try
> it?
> I would love to render 24 bit files and display them in Dynamic Hires
> (ok, not quite 16 mil colors, but no ham junk!)
> Please E-Mail me!
>
> Marc Rifkin... R38@PSUVM
> 814-867-4837

Easily done, Marc.  Just get a copy of Troy Barlow's nifty
program RGBExchange.  We have it up on Plink and it should be on
better BBSes everywhere.

Render with Sculpt or Silver in 24bit modes, pass the saved
files thru RGBExchange using the appropriate conversion module(s)
that come with the program, churn out DV21 format file and suck
it into DigiView 4.0, select one of the "Dynamic" modes and
there you are. I've made bunches of these this way.

Problem with Sculpt's output is that it seems to completely turn
off all dithering when rendering out 24bit RGB files so unless
your lamp placement is perfect you'll get tons of 'banding'
in the Dynamic picture, although it'll be sharp as a razor.
Turbo Silver SV's 24 bit output IS nicely dithered and in fact
the Dynamic conversions of it don't really look much better
than the HAM output from Silver itself.

--
 Harv Laser                  |  SAC-UNIX, Sacramento, Ca.
 People/Link: CBM*HARV       |  UUCP=...pacbell!sactoh0!hrlaser

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) (01/21/90)

> Sound interesting?  Has anyone done this?  Is there anyone willing to try
> it?
> I would love to render 24 bit files and display them in Dynamic Hires
> (ok, not quite 16 mil colors, but no ham junk!)
> Please E-Mail me!
>
> Marc Rifkin... R38@PSUVM
> 814-867-4837

Yes, it is interesting and you can do just that!  Render your scenes in Sculpt
or Turbo in 24 bit format and then run your copy of RGBExchange by Troy Barlow
(a user here on my system - troyb@pro-graphics.cts.com) and load either the
Sculpt or Turbo Silver modules as well as the Digiview conversion module and
you just click on the gadgets to convert your 24 bit RGB file to Digiview RGB
format.  Then you run your Digiview 4.0 and save the resulting image out to a
nice crisp Digiview Dynamic Hi-Res File.  Works like a charm.

By the way, I've sent a copy of RGBExchange out to Tad Guy at Xanth so it
should be up in the library there somewhere by now if you are looking for it.

If you don't have FTP access and you want this program, you can call my system
(number in signature) and use Xmodem Checksum (no CRC, sorry) to download the
file which is something like 120k ZOOed.

Enjoy!

-- Bob

InterNet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com          |       ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
    UUCP: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl          |        CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil |  Amer. Online: Graphics3D
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854