[comp.sys.amiga] F/A 18 on Hard disk

davidb@hplsla.HP.COM (David Bakeman) (01/18/90)

Is there a way to use my F/A-18 stuff from hard disk.  I tried simply copying
the disk contents to the hard disk but that doesn't work.  I thought the
idea behind using a code was that you didn't need a lock disk or other copy
protection.

I couldn't find anything in the manual.  If it's there please tell me what page
it's on.

David Bakeman

rob@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Robert Oyung) (01/19/90)

From Tom Rokicki:

   >Date: Wed, 12 Jul 89 10:01:00 -0700
   >From: Tomas G. Rokicki <rokicki@Polya.Stanford.EDU>
   >To: rob@hpiosa.corp.hp.com
   >
   >To make f18 work on your hard drive, get NewZAP or SuperZAP or some such
   >from a fish disk and zap all df0: in the executable to f18:.  Now, add an
   >assign to your startup sequence assign f18: work:f-18.  Now fly!
   >
   >-tom

-Rob

Robert Oyung
Integrated Office Systems
HP Corporate Offices

In <653@interlan.UUCP>, eric@interlan.UUCP (Eric Anderson) writes:
>	I tried installing F/A 18 on my hard disk too - no dice.
>I called the company (EA?) and they said that it couldn't be done.
>Sorry.
>	Eric Anderson
>	Racal InterLan

Yeah.. nice of them isn't it? Sell you a program that you can make a backup of,
protect it with the code wheel, and then hardwire 'DF0:' into it. Anyway, they
are wrong. Use NewZap (or CEDPro) to search for and replace all occurences of
'DF0:' with 'F18:', place the whole shooting match (sorry) into a directory on
your hard drive, and use ASSIGN to logically make the directory 'F18:'.

-larry

--
"Cavett Emptor - Let the talk show host beware!" - Evan Marcus

eric@interlan.UUCP (Eric Anderson) (01/20/90)

hunt@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Lee Cameron Hunt) (01/20/90)

In article <653@interlan.UUCP> eric@interlan.UUCP (Eric Anderson) writes:

>	I tried installing F/A 18 on my hard disk too - no dice.
>I called the company (EA?) and they said that it couldn't be done.
>Sorry.
>	Eric Anderson
>	Racal InterLan
There's a little program running around on some BBS which does exactly
what you want, that is it lets you install the game on your hard disk.
It's written in AmigaBasic, and all it does is patch the disk such that
the references to DF0: are changed to DH?:.  This means that you must
put F/A 18 in the root of your hard drive, but besides that it works fine
(you also have to make the two same directories that are on the floppy
on you hard drive).  I don't quite remember the name, since I'm on campus
right now, but it's something like F18-FIX.ARC (not to be confused with
the other "fix" utility which disables codewheel usage).

Hope this helps.
--Lee

rickfor@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Rick Forrest) (01/20/90)

In article <653@interlan.UUCP> eric@interlan.UUCP (Eric Anderson) writes:

>	I tried installing F/A 18 on my hard disk too - no dice.
>I called the company (EA?) and they said that it couldn't be done.
>Sorry.
>	Eric Anderson
>	Racal InterLan

Bzzzzt!  Thanks for playing.

How to do it:

Make a directory on the HD for it. call it, say dh0:foo/fun/f18
cd dh0:foo/fun/f18
copy df0: "" all
newzap f18-Interceptor  ( an editor for binaries )
change all occurrences of df0: to f18:
quit
assign f18: dh0:foo/fun/f18   ( put this in startup-sequence, too)
type f18-Interceptor and away you go (you will have to reboot when done)

NOTE: f18-Interceptor is the main executable on the f18 disk. This is from
memory, so no flames if the name is a bit different, like f18_interceptor.
Rick Forrest                                                _____
Soaring, the only way to fly!                                 |
Engines?  We don't need no steeenking engines! --------------(_)--------------

stroyan@hpfcdq.HP.COM (Mike Stroyan) (01/20/90)

>Is there a way to use my F/A-18 stuff from hard disk.  I tried simply copying
>the disk contents to the hard disk but that doesn't work.  I thought the
>idea behind using a code was that you didn't need a lock disk or other copy
>protection.

The F/A-18 code makes explicit references to "DF0".  I have made it work on
a hard disk by filtering the executable through a program that changes all
occurences of "DF0:" to "F18:".  Then I used "assign F18: sys:f18" and
copied the program's data files to the directory sys:f18.

Mike Stroyan, stroyan@hpfcla.hp.com

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (01/20/90)

     Use newzap and on the main f18 file, look for df0 with the search string
function.  Change every df0 that appears to your hard drive partition
(i.e. d
partition (i.e. dh0 or dh1, etc....)  Then assign it in your startup-sequence
to that directory.
     Ex., my directory is dh1:F18, so it says Assign F18: dh1:F18.
                                    Enjoy
                                   Jason

     WAIT, WAIT WAIT, ignore what I just wrote, except for the assign part.
Do this instead, though I suggest doing it on a copy.  Change df0: to F18:
and rename your disk to F18, ok?  Do it on a backup copy of course.
     Then follow the assign instructions.  Sorry for the mixup.
                                   Later, Jason

mmaston@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Maston) (01/21/90)

Or, if you do as I did with F/A-18, you can get one of the multitude of
file zapping programs and change all references of DF0: to F18:.  Then al
you have to do is ASSIGN F18: to whatever directory you want.  In this way,
you are not forced to put it in your root directory...works GREAT!

Mike