[comp.sys.amiga] SKsh weirdness

bmacintyre@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (01/19/90)

I tried to start using SKsh (v1.3) today, but encountered the following
weirdness.  It seems like a bug, but since it is so obvious it is more
likely something I'm doing wrong :-)

( note:  I checked some more after writing the stuff below.  This only
         seems to after AmigaDOS commands?!?!?!   ie. substituting lc
	 for list below works!  )

Anyway, here's the problem:
- I start sksh, enter an external command such as 'list' which works fine.
- I enter another external command (such as 'list' again!) and this time
  sksh waits for me to press a key before executing it (although it does
  seach the path and find it first)

Something else with I think may be related:
- external commands don't seem to be receiving their parameters.

What gives?
--
-- Blair MacIntyre, Professional Leach on Society ( aka CS Graduate Student )
-- bmacintyre@{watcgl, watdragon, violet}.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}

stephen@hpdml93.HP.COM (Stephen Holmstead) (01/20/90)

Blair MacIntyre writes:
>I tried to start using SKsh (v1.3) today, but encountered the following
>weirdness.  It seems like a bug, but since it is so obvious it is more
>likely something I'm doing wrong :-)
>[stuff deleted]
>Anyway, here's the problem:
>- I start sksh, enter an external command such as 'list' which works fine.
>- I enter another external command (such as 'list' again!) and this time
>  sksh waits for me to press a key before executing it (although it does
>  seach the path and find it first)

I have also noticed this on many external commands.  They require an
extra RETURN.

>Something else with I think may be related:
>- external commands don't seem to be receiving their parameters.

Yup.  I try to do a 'mount b:' and it gives me the standard response as
if I didn't give it any parameters.

 ____       ____
|___\   /   /___| Division         \X/ Amiga        stephen@hpdmlge.boi.hp.com

koren@hpfelg.HP.COM (Steve Koren) (01/21/90)

> ( note:  I checked some more after writing the stuff below.  This only
         > seems to after AmigaDOS commands?!?!?!   ie. substituting lc
	 > for list below works!  )
>
> - I enter another external command (such as 'list' again!) and this time
> sksh waits for me to press a key before executing it (although it does
> seach the path and find it first)
>
> Something else with I think may be related:
> - external commands don't seem to be receiving their parameters.

SKsh uses ARP to execute external commands.  There are at least 3 types of
external binary commands, all of which require different things upon
invokation (for example, the BCPL AmigaDos commands are different from
commands compiled with Lattice C).  The ARP.library occasionally has
problems dealing with the amigados commands (this is not Arp's fault,
really).  As for the second problem (with external commands not getting
parameters), which version of arp are you using?  Try the latest one;
my arp.library is 17100 bytes long.  I don't have that problem at all.

I wish there was a "standard" way to execute programs, but there is not
(yet).  I hate to depend on arp.library, since old versions will exhibit
problems, etc.  Unfortunately, there is no choice.

      - stevee