[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Educational Discount Available

dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) (01/18/90)

I was just down at my friendly Commodore Amiga Dealer this afternoon.
He mentioned to me that he could make my day, if only I was a student.
Sure enough, I am, and sure enough, he did.  Commodore has, as of a
few days ago, started educational discounts.

Before I start any uproarious whatevers, please consider this as coming
only from a customer, and don't construe it as an official announcement,
BUT I do have the form from Amiga; it looks real.  I  understand it is
an extension of the discounts Amiga has been giving to teachers for
quite a while now.

One goes straight to Commodore with your request; you can't march down
to your dealer and come home with a system.  It has to be shipped to
your dealer, whose responsibility it is to verify that you are a student.

Now for the prices (that were quoted to me, and AREN'T OFFICIAL by any
means!) that don't include $30 shipping, or sales tax (if applicable.)

500 system, including
	ram expansion
	extra drive
	1084 Monitor
for $799

2000 system, including:
	extra floppy drive
	XT Bridgecard
	1084 Monitor

for $1,599  (list is $3,196)

2000HD system, including:
	2286D AT Bridgecard
	1084 Monitor
for $2,579 (list is $4697)

2500/30 system, including:
	2286D AT Bridgecard
	1084 Monitor
	3 MB Ram
	40 Meg Hard drive (Quantum, 19ms access time)
all this for...$3,679  (retail: $6697)

If this is all true, Amiga has really got a competitive system (the
2500/30 especially) to go head to head with the best of Mac or NeXT.

Please remember that I could be full of it, my Dealer could be full of
it, or I might have goofed typing in otherwise correct prices (I tried
not to.)

I think this is really great news!  Here's hoping it's going to work.

dylan
dylan@cs.washington.edu

GG.MPD@forsythe.stanford.edu (Michael Durket) (01/20/90)

How about University staff? At our campus, both Apple and IBM
include University staff (some of whom make less than faculty)
in their discount programs.

dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) (01/20/90)

I have the Terms and Conditions in front of me, and the eligible
Qualified End Users include:
A)  A Faculty or other staff member directly involved in the educational
process at a Qualified Educational Institution.

B)  A student...blah blah...

I have no idea what the part about being directly involved in the
educational process means, but it is pretty open to interpretation...

hope this helps,
dylan
dylan@cs.washington.edu

hutch@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Lance A. Hutchinson) (01/21/90)

In article <7352@lindy.Stanford.EDU> GG.MPD@forsythe.stanford.edu (Michael Durket) writes:
>How about University staff? At our campus, both Apple and IBM
>include University staff (some of whom make less than faculty)
>in their discount programs.

Just so everyone knows here is a brief rundown of who qualifies:

For Educational Institutions:

	You are a qualified Educational Instuitution if you are basically
		one of the following:

		An elementary or secondary school accredited by a STATE.
		An accredited vocational, technical or post-secondary institute.
		An special Educaional School or institution

		These are the basic three qualifications for instutions.

For Students and Professors (teachers):

		A faculty or other staff member directly involved in the
			educational process.

		A student enrolled at a full time post-secondary Qualified
			educational institute and are certified to be making
			significant progress towards a degree.

There are a few other stipulations but nothing major.  See you local dealer
for more info.  If you must have more info EMAIL me please.

I hope this clarifies the situarion somewhat.

Lance Hutchinson	 \\====//	phone: (507) 663-6447
St Olaf College           \\==//	@work: (507) 663-7885
Northfield, MN.  55057	   \\//		hutch@thor.acc.stolaf.edu