[comp.sys.amiga] Manx 5.0a is shipping. commercial?

chymes@zug.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) (01/19/90)

Here is the Notice from Manx themselvs.

                   A  Z  T  E  C    B  B  S    N  E  W  S

                                1/18/89

    o Aztec C for the Amiga, version 5.0a, is now shipping.  New features
      include:

          -  _FULL_ ANSI draft proposed C standard compliance, including
             function prototyping.
          -  Significantly faster compilation and linkage times than under
             previous versions.
          -  Highly optimized code generation.
          -  Selectable compiler warning/error control.
          -  Support for creating resident libraries exclusively in C.
          -  In-line code generation of resident library calls for fast
             run-time code.
          -  Compiler support for interrupt functions in C.
          -  New and completely re-written set of perfect-bound documentation.
          -  New QuikFix feature allows the compiler to call a user
             specified editor upon encountering compilation errors.

      Existing users wishing to upgrade to 5.0a from 3.6a _must_ be
      registered in order to receive the upgrade.  If you are not registered,
      you should contact our update dept. as soon as possible.  The basic
      upgrade cost for existing users is $75.  Existing users who also wish to
      upgrade to SDB for the 1st time may do so for an additional $30.

      To place an order, call our sales dept. @ (800)-221-0440 inside the u
B      U.S. and @ (201)542-2121 outside the U.S.
I would write a disclamer informing you all that I have nothing to do
with Manx what so ever, but if there are legal types who don't know
better than to go after people who are totally broke, then I will let
them learn for them selves. However, loyalty to my orginazation forces
me to explicity declare that they have no knowlage or control over my
spelling, or any other of my computer related activities.

Chymes, Not a ding-dong.

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (01/19/90)

Hey!  Sounds like Manx finally caught up!
		(Sorry... couldn't resist.)
I wonder if all the people doing Manx development are going to take
the time to put in prototypes and inline the library calls and
stuff like that in their old (that is, current) code?
		-- Darren
		   Loyal Lattice Fan

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (01/20/90)

In article <8734@nigel.udel.EDU> new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>I wonder if all the people doing Manx development are going to take
>the time to put in prototypes and inline the library calls and
>stuff like that in their old (that is, current) code?

I am.

I am, however, getting pretty angry with Manx, since this release is now
ten months late from the earliest promised date I can recall, and the
current version is over two years old.  Plus, I paid for overnight shipment
of the update ("end of November, we mean it this time, really") and haven't
gotten it yet.

...think the company is going to have to buy a copy of Lattice. ;-)
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl	"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid."
--			 -- Barney Rubble

scott@wilbur.uucp (Scott Beckstead) (01/21/90)

In article <8734@nigel.udel.EDU> new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>Hey!  Sounds like Manx finally caught up!
>		(Sorry... couldn't resist.)
>I wonder if all the people doing Manx development are going to take
>the time to put in prototypes and inline the library calls and
>stuff like that in their old (that is, current) code?
>		-- Darren
>		   Loyal Lattice Fan

  Let me say this about lattice,  I have an original developers kit copy
of their C compiler which included several utilities.  I was attempting to
do some object file conversion with said utilities whe I discovered that
the filename I had given said utility was ther wrong one.  I aborted (ctrl-c)
and low and behold the bloody thing had written 0000 all over the root
directory of my scsi hard disk!.  I formatted all the lattice disks and used
them as spares.  Never again will I execute anything that lattice produces!

  This is a personal opinion and should not be taken too litterally!

                     | In Vino Veritas--- In wine there is truth.        |
                     | Is somehwat disappointing compared to:            |

eapu030@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jason Goldberg) (01/21/90)

I have used Manx for my own development since 3.2a, I am now in charge of
a large chain of Amiga dealers on the West Coast.  I recently had to decide
which C compiler to carry, and guess what?  I choose Lattice.  Manx 5.0 could
very easily be better than Lattice 5.04 but I simply don't what to have to
to support Manx products based on their upgrade problesm.  I will however at
least buy Manx 5.0 to see how it runs.  On my 68030 and with the limited
amount of coding I do, Manx's faster compiling isn't a big deal.

-Jason-