[comp.sys.amiga] BADGE January 1990 Meeting POSTPONED; Please Read

My apologies if you've already seen this, but PORTAL's been having some
problems with USENET subscriptions recently and it's not clear my original
posting made it out; I've checked ``news'' on 2 other systems and nada (and
already articles dated Jan.12 have appeared).
NOTICE:  the BADGE meeting scheduled for Jan.17, 1990 at Foothill College
and featuring Jim Mackraz discussing the 1.4 Amiga Operating System has been
temporarily delayed.

Apparently classes for the Winter 1990 quarter at Foothill have been fully
subscribed and there simply is no available room (at Foothill); this news just
arrived a few hours ago this afternoon (Wednesday, Jan. 10, 1990).

I've already both called (and left message on answering machine) and FAX'd
Dawn Dobbs (at the San Jose Mercury News) to pull the article scheduled for
Sunday, Jan. 14, 1990; Dawn works from 5am to 12noon daily (is that why she's
named ``Dawn'' ?? :-) and I hope it's not too late.

If the article does appear this Sunday, please disregard it.  And spread the
word to others who might not have Usenet access.

People "behind the scenes" are working as this message wends its way throughout
Usenet to secure other arrangements for the January BADGE meeting.

Stay tuned for late-breaking news as it happens.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

doug@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (douglas.sulpy) (01/13/90)

In article <25846@cup.portal.com>, thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
> NOTICE:  the BADGE meeting scheduled for Jan.17, 1990 at Foothill College
> ...has been temporarily delayed.

Damn. And I was planning on driving out from 'Jersey :-).
... Is it possible to restrict such meeting notices to the appropriate area?

doug@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (douglas.sulpy) in <7345@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> writes:

"	Damn. And I was planning on driving out from 'Jersey :-).
	... Is it possible to restrict such meeting notices to the appropriate
	 area?
"
pertaining to the BADGE meeting postponement announcement.

This type of message surfaces about once a year, so for the benefit of
those who are new to Usenet and to comp.sys.amiga.*, I'll present a brief
summary of why these postings are a Good Thing(tm).  :-)

The Bay Area Amiga Developers' GroupE (BADGE) is an organization of serious
hardware and software developers for the Amiga computer.  The charter is to
promote and facilitate the development of new Amiga products by providing a
forum for communication between developers.

Many of the people who attend BADGE only read comp.sys.amiga.tech.  The IEEE,
ACM, ACL, AIAA, etc. tech journals also list meeting notices since those are
the only journals their members read.

Many attendees come from out-of-state and out-of-USA (e.g. West Chester,
Lowell (MA), Europe, etc.)  and are unable to see restricted distribution
articles or local-newspaper announcements.

BADGE attendance (probably) comprises the largest gathering of Amiga
developers in the world outside of the DevCons; the Amiga itself was
developed here (Silicon Valley; Los Gatos, CA) by several BADGE members.

Among the regularly-attending (ex-)Amiga members are included Dale Luck,
Jim Mackraz, Rob Peck, Neil Katin, Carl Sassenrath, Bob "Kodiak" Burns, etc.

Other casually-attending (ex-)Amiga members include Jay Miner, Bart Whitebrook,
RJ Mical, Sam Dicker, etc.

The list of commercial developers attending reads like the list of products
available for the Amiga.

Get the picture?  :-)

Thad

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

aleks@well.UUCP (Brian J. Witt) (01/19/90)

In article <7345@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> doug@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (douglas.sulpy) writes:
>In article <25846@cup.portal.com>, thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>> NOTICE:  the BADGE meeting scheduled for Jan.17, 1990 at Foothill College
>> ...has been temporarily delayed.
>
>Damn. And I was planning on driving out from 'Jersey :-).
>... Is it possible to restrict such meeting notices to the appropriate area?

I don't know much of the mechanics of USENET, but would it be possible
to set up a mailing list to distribute BADGE meeting information?  I
can tell you from being there myself, that not one person showed up
between 7:10 and 8PM weds night (I think I look like the fool, now).
Mailing lists exist already for low bandwidth groups.  BADGE meetings
would be a great candidate.  Pre-release rules for BKDC's could be
sent out for comment over this channel, also.

Usually I'd read all them amiga.tech messages, but last weekend it
was "let's play rewrite the device loader" for my hard disk; a
unsuccessful attemp, but I digress...  I'm off to school soon, and
I'm not sure of my hookups.  A mailing list could be good as it
would send messages directly, and no one would have to screen out
the noise from the important info.  This could be a great gain for
FIDOnet'ters, too.  Perhaps a gateway to MCI and compu$erve might
even occur....!  People in 'Jersey could even find out what is
happening in the _real_ world of computers :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

--- "I have a dream..."   Martin Luther King, Jr.
--- brian witt
USENET:   well.sf.ca.usa!aleks

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (01/22/90)

In article <15573@well.UUCP> aleks@well.UUCP (Brian Witt) writes:
>I don't know much of the mechanics of USENET, but would it be possible
>to set up a mailing list to distribute BADGE meeting information? [...]
>Mailing lists exist already for low bandwidth groups.

Apparently you have two aims with this. The first seems to be agreeing
that these notices shouldn't be posted widely, which is pointless (A)
in light of Thad's reply on the subject, (B) because these notices
are infrequent enough that it's idiotic to worry about it, and (C) because
the discussion on the subject has already created enough volume to
wholly overshadow the original notice.

Your second aim seems to be to request direct notification because you
can't always read the group. This sounds reasonable, and anyone who
wants to can create a mailing list simply by mailing to a list of
people any time they feel like it. Request this at the next BADGE
meeting, maybe you can convince someone to do so.
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary