[comp.sys.amiga] what's .Z ?

rang@paris.ics.uci.edu (Roger Penaranda Jr. Ang) (01/10/90)

quick question,
	I downloaded some binaries from xanth with .uu?.Z extensions.
I fiddled with them but couldn't zoo or uudecode them.  What should I
do to extract the files?

                                        Roger P. Ang (rang@ICS.UCI.EDU)
Irvine? Where's Irvine?                 a poor Grad student at the
In the heart of the Orange Curtain.     Dept. of Information & Computer Sci.
Oh no! The poor fool.                   Univ. of California, Irvine.

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (01/11/90)

In article <25AAB4A2.4638@paris.ics.uci.edu> rang@paris.ics.uci.edu (Roger Penaranda Jr. Ang) writes:
> I downloaded some binaries from xanth with .uu?.Z extensions.
> I fiddled with them but couldn't zoo or uudecode them.  What should I
> do to extract the files?

.Z indicates a compressed file, made with the compress utility found
on many UNIX machines (and available for the Amiga).  If you don't
have it, the source is available also from xanth as /pub/compress.tar.
	...tad

king@cell.mot.COM (Steven King) (01/22/90)

In article <25AAB4A2.4638@paris.ics.uci.edu> rang@paris.ics.uci.edu (Roger Penaranda Jr. Ang) writes:
>quick question,
>	I downloaded some binaries from xanth with .uu?.Z extensions.
>I fiddled with them but couldn't zoo or uudecode them.  What should I
>do to extract the files?

Use "compress".  It's a reasonably standard Unix utility, and available for
the Amiga on Fish Disk 51 (yes, Fifty-One; I don't know if there's a newer
version available).  You may need to uudecode or un-zoo them (or both) after
you uncompress them.

--
If there's a byte of data in the computer but no   | Steve King  (708) 991-8056