[comp.sys.amiga] GURU obscurity.

hugh@kink.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble @ Phaedra V's Amiga 2500) (01/22/90)

[ Lie neater?  Why not just tell the truth? ]

From a smattering of responses, here are the record holders in the "how
long until you knew what a guru was" contest.

Shortest:

>From:	cave!Adam.Benjamin@andrews.edu (Adam Benjamin)
>
>Well, I may be the winner for shortest time before meeting the GURU.
>The store that I got my Amiga 500 from gave me a bad workbench disk.
>I quickly unpacked everything, wired it all up, slapped in the workbench
>disk (after the "Hand prompt") and went right to the GURU !!
>I'm such a computer nut that I thought it was neat! at least until
>I couldn't get rid of it.

This one might be beat, but not by more than a very few seconds.

Longest:

>From: cbmvax!uunet!munnari!wehi.dn.mu.oz.au!baxter_a
>
>The son of a woman at work has had his Amiga since xmas 88 and didn't
>know what the "red and black flashing box" was the FIRST time he saw it
>about one week before xmas 89.
>
>He plays a lot of games, uses WP and doesn't do much else.

I was naively guessing that the old A1000 hacks would have run into the
guru before they even got going, and recent Amigans might have gone a
while before bumping into one.  There's some of that, but generally it
seems that people push harder, doing more things with more s/w until
they manage to get a guru anyways.  Users, give 'em an inch ... :-)

--
# Hugh D. Gamble    No Disclaimers.
# hugh@kink.UUCP