[comp.sys.amiga] csa & cba postings

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (01/18/90)

We have started receiving NEW comp.{sources,binaries}.amiga
postings again!!!   YEA!!!

However, I have a suggestion.....

I usually unpack the postings on my Unix machine before uploading
then to my amiga.

The recent "ChatterBox" posting will not "unshar" correctly, because
it uses filenames longer than 14 characters.

Would it be possible to make it so that future postings "unshar"
correctly under Unix?  (I know, just be thankful I get them at all! :-)

Thanks!

--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)

martens@shawnee.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (01/18/90)

In article <d6zY02rx7fOE01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:

>The recent "ChatterBox" posting will not "unshar" correctly, because
>it uses filenames longer than 14 characters.

You must be using a REALLY old version of Unix.

>Would it be possible to make it so that future postings "unshar"
>correctly under Unix?  (I know, just be thankful I get them at all! :-)

An operating system should be able to handle a descriptive file name.
I'd hope that the moderators wouldn't try to enforce anything like
this.
-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)
Dan Quayle, space science advocate, on Mars: "We have seen
pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is
water, there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."

In article <75826@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Jeff Martens <martens@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <d6zY02rx7fOE01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>
>>The recent "ChatterBox" posting will not "unshar" correctly, because
>>it uses filenames longer than 14 characters.
>
>You must be using a REALLY old version of Unix.

I was afraid this might break up into "My OS is better than YOUR OS"
wars like this. PLEASE, lets not continue it!!!!!

>>Would it be possible to make it so that future postings "unshar"
>>correctly under Unix?  (I know, just be thankful I get them at all! :-)
>
>An operating system should be able to handle a descriptive file name.

I agree totally. However, the one I use doesn't. Now, if the moderator
is the one making up the file names, then I am only asking that he
consider us poor "14 char file name" folks. If he doesn't, then fine.
I can always edit the shar files.

>I'd hope that the moderators wouldn't try to enforce anything like
>this.

Would that make the "OLD" OSs go away? Would my company buy a new
machine because of it? Just because YOU have access to something better
doesn't mean that the rest of us have to live up to it's specs. 14
character file names are upward compatable, at least. :-)

--

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (01/18/90)

In article <d6zY02rx7fOE01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:
> However, I have a suggestion.....

Suggestions posted to the net are not as likely to reach the moderator
as those sent to the address listed at the end of every posting...

> The recent "ChatterBox" posting will not "unshar" correctly, because
> it uses filenames longer than 14 characters.  Would it be possible
> to make it so that future postings "unshar" correctly under Unix?

Gee, it unshars correctly on xanth, which runs UNIX.  That should be
rewritten as ``correctly under my UNIX, where we aren't permitted to
have reasonable filenames like everyone else...''

Seriously, the names of the files in the sources or binaries postings
are those used by the person submitting the software, and are not
chosen by the moderator.  You'll have to appeal to software developers
to use short names for files...

It's somebody else's problem... :-)
	...tad

martens@ketch.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (01/18/90)

In article <e6uJ02dl7fRj01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> dwl10@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:
.In article <75826@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Jeff Martens <martens@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
.>In article <d6zY02rx7fOE01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:

.>>The recent "ChatterBox" posting will not "unshar" correctly, because
.>>it uses filenames longer than 14 characters.

.>You must be using a REALLY old version of Unix.

.I was afraid this might break up into "My OS is better than YOUR OS"
.wars like this. PLEASE, lets not continue it!!!!!

	[ ... ]

.Would that make the "OLD" OSs go away? Would my company buy a new
.machine because of it? Just because YOU have access to something better
.doesn't mean that the rest of us have to live up to it's specs. 14
.character file names are upward compatable, at least. :-)

Just upgrade to a recent version of Unix.  Of course, if you're using
something really backward, like a Honeywell DPS-6, then I can
understand being stuck with Sys III.
-=-

acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (01/18/90)

In article <75826@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Jeff Martens <martens@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <d6zY02rx7fOE01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>
>>The recent "ChatterBox" posting will not "unshar" correctly, because
>>it uses filenames longer than 14 characters.
>
>You must be using a REALLY old version of Unix.

Not really.  It's a SVR3 version.

>>Would it be possible to make it so that future postings "unshar"
>>correctly under Unix?  (I know, just be thankful I get them at all! :-)
>
>An operating system should be able to handle a descriptive file name.
>I'd hope that the moderators wouldn't try to enforce anything like
>this.

Who says you can't be descriptive within a 14-character limit?  Please, no
flames about this...I understand the desire to use long names (I've done
it myself in  my not-so-recent VT100 distribution but all filenames were
unique within the limit).  There are quite a number of UN*X boxes out here
which have to deal with the 14-character limitation.  I don't necessarily
expect the moderator to change filenames to fit within the limit but would
hope that the *contributors* would be thoughtful enough to consider this
issue.  Perhaps an alternative is zoo things that contain long filenames?

>-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)
--
Tony Sumrall   author of VT100 2.9 (and 2.8a and 2.8 and...)
acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!pccuts!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (01/18/90)

:
:.>>The recent "ChatterBox" posting will not "unshar" correctly, because
:.>>it uses filenames longer than 14 characters.
:
:.>You must be using a REALLY old version of Unix.
:
:.I was afraid this might break up into "My OS is better than YOUR OS"
:.wars like this. PLEASE, lets not continue it!!!!!
:
:	[ ... ]
:
:.Would that make the "OLD" OSs go away? Would my company buy a new
:.machine because of it? Just because YOU have access to something better
:.doesn't mean that the rest of us have to live up to it's specs. 14
:.character file names are upward compatable, at least. :-)
:
:Just upgrade to a recent version of Unix.  Of course, if you're using
:something really backward, like a Honeywell DPS-6, then I can
:understand being stuck with Sys III.

Easier said than done.  Many of us don't have control over what is done
with our unix access.  Since 14 is a limit many systems may have
(including mine) why don't we keep to that.  If you use 16 for your,
fine and dandy.  For something that is widely distributed, the more
compatible limit seems appropriate.

Besides, why make LONG, hard to tyoe names like "chatterbox.zuu01" instead
of "chatb.zuu01"?

Tad, if you read this, please consider a limit to name size.  It won't
really limit you that much -- but it sure will help many of us a lot.
Thanks.  (and thanks for taking on binaries/sources)

:-=-
:-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)
:Dan Quayle, space science advocate, on Mars: "We have seen
:pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is
:water, there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."

--
Joel E. Swan                                   USENET: swan@jolnet
Media Specialties Ltd.  &                      PLINK : Amiga*Joel

840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) (01/18/90)

In article <d6zY02rx7fOE01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>We have started receiving NEW comp.{sources,binaries}.amiga
>postings again!!!   YEA!!!
>
>However, I have a suggestion.....
>
>I usually unpack the postings on my Unix machine before uploading
>then to my amiga.
>
>The recent "ChatterBox" posting will not "unshar" correctly, because
>it uses filenames longer than 14 characters.
Tsk, tsk, I see that you are cursed to work under system V!  Long live
BSD and the likes!  It *is* good to see all these programs coming through
though isn't it?
--
+ Alan W. McKay       +  VOICE: (902) 542-1565                        +
+ Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +

magik@sorinc.UUCP (Darrin A. Hyrup) (01/19/90)

In article <e6uJ02dl7fRj01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>In article <75826@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Jeff Martens <martens@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>>In article <d6zY02rx7fOE01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>>
>>>The recent "ChatterBox" posting will not "unshar" correctly, because
>>>it uses filenames longer than 14 characters.
>>
>>You must be using a REALLY old version of Unix.
>>

>I was afraid this might break up into "My OS is better than YOUR OS"
>wars like this. PLEASE, lets not continue it!!!!!

I agree, thats useless.

>>>Would it be possible to make it so that future postings "unshar"
>>>correctly under Unix?  (I know, just be thankful I get them at all! :-)
>>
>>An operating system should be able to handle a descriptive file name.
>
>I agree totally. However, the one I use doesn't. Now, if the moderator
>is the one making up the file names, then I am only asking that he
>consider us poor "14 char file name" folks. If he doesn't, then fine.
>I can always edit the shar files.
>
>>I'd hope that the moderators wouldn't try to enforce anything like
>>this.
>
>Would that make the "OLD" OSs go away? Would my company buy a new
>machine because of it? Just because YOU have access to something better
>doesn't mean that the rest of us have to live up to it's specs. 14
>character file names are upward compatable, at least. :-)

What an operating system should or shouldn't be able to handle is not
really what we need to decide here. I think what Tad should be doing is to
post all submissions as .ZUU files (uuencoded ZOO files, broken up into
whatever file sizes chosen). That method allows those who unarchive their
files on UNIX (or any OS) to uudecode the files, and put them together into
a .ZOO file that can easily be transported to wherever it need go. Plus
that also makes it easier to handle submitted binary files and object code
(besides having obvious storage and transfer time savings over uncompressed
shar files.)

It would be a good policy to adopt for all amiga {sources|binaries} group
postings in the future in my opinion. (Although my personal preference
would be to have uuencoded LHARC .LZH files instead of .ZOO files to
conserve net bandwidth and save transfer times. <grin> Although I'm sure
someone out there may disagree with me on that for their own reasons.)

>"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be

Hope this helps,

        Darrin Hyrup
--
Darrin A. Hyrup              // AMIGA Enthusiast         rencon!esfenn!dah
magik@sorinc.PacBell.COM   \X/ & Software Developer   pacbell!sorinc!magik

crs@cpsc6a.att.com (Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman) (01/19/90)

martens@ketch.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) writes:
[ Volumes of net.discussion of format comp.[binaries|sources].amiga postings ]

< Just upgrade to a recent version of Unix.  Of course, if you're using
< something really backward, like a Honeywell DPS-6, then I can
< understand being stuck with Sys III.
< --
< -- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

Just for the record (I sent my request for shorter filenames directly
to Tad Guy), I use the most current version of UNIX there is (since SVR4
isn't quite OUT yet).  I use System V Rel3.2.2, which is all of 5-6 months
old.  And yes, it only supports 14 character file names, as have all
versions of SYSV since its creation.

Besides, the suggestion is ridiculous.  Yes, make everyone who doesn't
conform to your version of UNIX 'upgrade' to it (a tremendous expense),
as opposed to trimming a few characters from the distribution file names
for usenet.

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |  /o  -- -- --
crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or>           |||    -- -- -        I'm Outta Here!

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) (01/19/90)

>>>The recent "ChatterBox" posting will not "unshar" correctly, because
>>>it uses filenames longer than 14 characters.
>>
>>You must be using a REALLY old version of Unix.
>
> Not really.  It's a SVR3 version.
>
>>>Would it be possible to make it so that future postings "unshar"
>>>correctly under Unix?  (I know, just be thankful I get them at all! :-)

Fish #287 has an unshar that works well on the Amiga, so unsharing can
be left till then, keeping the Unix box for what it does best - mail,
news and lots of storage space :-)

Allan Duncan	ACSnet	aduncan@rhea.trl.oz
		ARPA	aduncan%rhea.trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!rhea.trl.oz.au!aduncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (01/20/90)

The impatient should search forward for ^------ to see a summary and
something that should make many happy...

	...tad

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) writes:

>Besides, why make LONG, hard to tyoe names like "chatterbox.zuu01" instead
>of "chatb.zuu01"?

Because it's the name the author used?  It's easiest for me to not
change things when possible.  Not only does it make the submissions go
out faster, but it saves me the aggravation..

Why type the names at all?  Real UNIX weenies use * and ? and wouldn't
type a file name longer than a few characters anyway (and some of us
are addicted to file name completion).  :-)

>Tad, please consider a limit to name size.  It won't really limit you
>that much -- but it sure will help many of us a lot.

Until your posting (and a private message I had received today), I was
under the impression the complaint was with the names of the files in
the sources shars, not the names of the split uuencoded files (in
looking back at the articles I see nowhere where this was made clear).

Since I am generating those intermediate names, it's reasonable for me
to keep them down to 14 characters in length (in fact, I have already
modified my posting script to force me to rename .zoo files down to 12
characters in length, to allow for the part number).  Previously I had
only been concered with the length of the names of the Archive-name:
secondary header...

So, the intermediate uuencoded files will now be within 14 characters
in length.  However, I will not change the names of the files in the
sources shars.  There's no way I could do it and not break a majority
of the sources, since I will miss something in trying (not to mention
the major slowdown this would cause).

magik@sorinc.UUCP (Darrin A. Hyrup) writes:
> I think what Tad should be doing is to post all submissions as .ZUU
> files (uuencoded ZOO files, broken up into whatever file sizes
> chosen). That method allows those who unarchive their files on UNIX
> (or any OS) to uudecode the files, and put them together into a .ZOO
> file that can easily be transported to wherever it need go.

No can do -- one of the ``rules'' about the sources groups is that the
sources posted must be in a plain-text form (shars qualify).  Encoding
them into zoo's would not be appreciated by the backbone cabal (even
including uuencoded binaries isn't really legit).  Sources must remain
readable without unusual software...

> Plus that also makes it easier to handle submitted binary files and
> object code (besides having obvious storage and transfer time
> savings over uncompressed shar files.)

You're real close to proposing to get rid of the sources group and
going only with the binaries group.  It'd make things easier for me,
but I don't think it would pass a vote.  I know I woudn't vote for it,
and I think you'd find it'd meet with opposition from those without
Amiga who want to browse the sources postings...

> (Although my personal preference would be to have uuencoded LHARC
> .LZH files instead of .ZOO files to conserve net bandwidth and save
> transfer times.)

I have no UNIX LHARC, and I will not download everything to my Amiga
just to package it.  Zoo remains the most widespread archiver
available.  (I often wish no one had made an Amiga LHARC until after
an UNIX version came out).

------

I think that covers everything:

	1.  The foo.zuuxx files are now limited to 14 characters.
	2.  The filenames in sources postings remain unchanged.
	3.  The sources must remain plain-text.
	4.  LHARC is out of the question until I get a UNIX version.

Oh, and an Amiga UNSHAR program that reads the sources and binaries
postings (as well as those of comp.sources.misc, at least) is in my
queue and will go out as soon as xanth finishes running expire
(assuming I'm still awake then...)

	...tad

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (01/20/90)

>:.>In article <d6zY02rx7fOE01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>:.>>The recent "ChatterBox" posting will not "unshar" correctly, because
>:.>>it uses filenames longer than 14 characters.

Ironic, isn't it, that the Amiga supports longer filenames than some versions
of Unix?

While I acknowledge these difficulties and will strive to create filenames
unique to the first 14 characters for distribution, I generally believe in
long, descriptive names for things, and the names not being real short on
vowels, either.

Nonetheless, I hope some of you are enjoying chatterbox!

--
-- uunet!sugar!karl	"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid."
--			 -- Barney Rubble

ben@contact.uucp (Ben Eng) (01/21/90)

In article <870@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com> acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) writes:
>In article <75826@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Jeff Martens <martens@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>>An operating system should be able to handle a descriptive file name.
>
>Who says you can't be descriptive within a 14-character limit?

This site is running under the most recent version of Xenix and it
can't handle long filenames either.  I am getting the impression that
there is a significant number of sites that are plagued by this limitation.

While we are on the topic of improvements to comp.sources.amiga, would
it not be a good idea to distribute the source code as a
shar'ed-uuencoded-zoo archive, rather than as straight source code?
It would certainly cut down on net bandwidth (smaller size), preserve
full pathnames, preserve long filenames, and ensure data integrity.
If a zoo file is not desirable then I would certainly like to see a
MANIFEST file to go along with each distribution, so that when the
files are unshar'ed, there is some way to check that all the files are
properly extracted.

By the way, "Thanks!" to Tad for a great job so far.

Ben
--
Ben Eng                  | ben@contact.uucp  _or_  ben@ziebmef.mef.org
150 Beverley St. Apt #1L | Bix: jetpen             ^^^-down for repair?

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (01/21/90)

In article <75826@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Jeff Martens <martens@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
|In article <d6zY02rx7fOE01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:
|
|>The recent "ChatterBox" posting will not "unshar" correctly, because
|>it uses filenames longer than 14 characters.
|
|You must be using a REALLY old version of Unix.

	Jeff, you should find out what the facts
	are before shooting off your mouth.

	The current version of AT&T Unix, System V
	release 3.2, has this filesize. In fact,
	depending how it is configured, the upcoming
	release 4.0 can be set up to have it as well.

|>Would it be possible to make it so that future postings "unshar"
|>correctly under Unix?  (I know, just be thankful I get them at all! :-)
|
|An operating system should be able to handle a descriptive file name.
|I'd hope that the moderators wouldn't try to enforce anything like
|this.

	Hey, don't be such a twink. Not everyone
	thinks that way, and there's no call to
	try & push your opinions off in such an
	arrogant fashion. Note, for example, how
	accomodating I'm being about this, heh heh.

	I'm writing this from a Unix machine - when
	I get to unsharing the file in question, I'll
	be fairly irritated to have all the hand work
	to deal with this filename problem. Since I
	tend to repackage & redistribute these things
	to Amiga folks, I want to have the process
	be as straightforward as possible.

--
  ,,,,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \$$/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

magik@sorinc.UUCP (Darrin A. Hyrup) (01/22/90)

In <TADGUY.90Jan19212309@diatomite.cs.odu.edu> tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:
>magik@sorinc.UUCP (Darrin A. Hyrup) writes:
>> I think what Tad should be doing is to post all submissions as .ZUU
>> files...
>
>No can do -- one of the ``rules'' about the sources groups is that the
>sources posted must be in a plain-text form (shars qualify).  Encoding
>them into zoo's would not be appreciated by the backbone cabal (even
>including uuencoded binaries isn't really legit).  Sources must remain
>readable without unusual software...

What is the basis for these ``rules''? Until now I've never heard of that
restriction being placed on any group. And Zoo isn't exactly unusual
software, but if you say so... :-)

>> Plus that also makes it easier to handle submitted binary files and
>> object code (besides having obvious storage and transfer time
>> savings over uncompressed shar files.)
>
>You're real close to proposing to get rid of the sources group and
>going only with the binaries group.  It'd make things easier for me,
>but I don't think it would pass a vote.  I know I woudn't vote for it,
>and I think you'd find it'd meet with opposition from those without
>Amiga who want to browse the sources postings...

I never meant to insinuate that!  I personally prefer the sources
distributions over the binaries any day. (In fact, at this time, I'm not
even carrying the binaries distribution at all, since I carry sources and
have both Lattice and Manx here if I need to compile something). If
something goes out that doesn't come with sources, I can get it from my
net-neighbors.

What I meant is that ZOO'ing and uuencoding would make BOTH the sources and
binaries groups easier to handle because it would be lowering the amount of
transfer time neccessary for the groups, and it would make object/binary
files easier to extract from the distributions at the user end. Nothing
more.

>> (Although my personal preference would be to have uuencoded LHARC
>> .LZH files instead of .ZOO files to conserve net bandwidth and save
>> transfer times.)
>
>I have no UNIX LHARC, and I will not download everything to my Amiga
>just to package it.  Zoo remains the most widespread archiver
>available.  (I often wish no one had made an Amiga LHARC until after
>an UNIX version came out).

There is a UNIX LHARC out there. Both the extract-only version, and a full
LHARC. Its also my understanding that there is a PKZIP out there for UNIX
now as well. So, either of these would be ideal for compression savings.

I'll try to dig up the UNIX LHARC sources and mail them off to you soon.
What you do with them from there is up to you. :-)

>        ...tad

Best wishes,

      Darrin Hyrup