[comp.sys.amiga] StarFlight..Oh damn!

jim@skatter.uucp (Jim Bergstrom) (01/20/90)

	I have a major problem with this game.  I don't have a lifetime to play
it....and believe me, it will take you a life time to play the bloody thing!

	Now, this game has major entertainment value, but unfortunately, it
takes to ruddy long to play.  I'm talking time here, playing time!  Now I have
been driven to the point of absolute frustration and have clocked this game with
a stopwatch.  First thing though: I am attempting to participate in this game
with an Amiga 1000 with 2 meg and have tried both 1.2, 1.3 kickstart plus two
copied disks, (this game allows you to copy it and use a code wheel), and have
gotten no where.  Now back to stopwatch, this is what I have clocked, beleive it
or not:
	It takes approximately 8 minutes for the computer to catch up with you
every time you move the mouse to an action sequence, ie.. click mouse for
mineral pickup, wait 8 minutes.  Click mouse for scanner, wait 8 minutes.
Click mouse for map, wait 8 minutes.  Now, I'm being relatively modest with thes
times, in some situations I have waited up to 17 minutes for something to
happen.  This is a bloody shame!  I can see " ELITE " blown out of the water
with this game, but unfortunately, I don't think I'll live long enough.

	If anyone has away to get around this problem, I'd much appreciate it
if it was posted.

	P.S. Please excuse the spelling mistakes, it ain't me, it's this
freeking modem!!

Jim Bergstrom
Saskatchewan Accelerator Laboratory
University of Saskatchewan      	    Bitnet  jim@skatter.usask.ca
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada   S7N0W0

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (01/21/90)

In article <1990Jan20.051542.12167@dvinci.usask.ca> jim@skatter.uucp (Jim Bergstrom) writes:
>	I have a major problem with this game.  I don't have a lifetime to play
>it....and believe me, it will take you a life time to play the bloody thing!
>	It takes approximately 8 minutes for the computer to catch up with you
>every time you move the mouse to an action sequence, ie.. click mouse for
>mineral pickup, wait 8 minutes.  Click mouse for scanner, wait 8 minutes.

I have StarFlight instaled on my hard drive, and there are very small waits -
maybe a few seconds at most.  Even from floppy, I don't wait that long. . .

+-------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+
| John A. Dutka     | WSU Term #5: Force.  Unit: The CowThus (CT):           |
| Box 2308          | 1 CT = force of an average cow falling from Alden Hall |
| 100 Institute Rd. |      = M*v(c)/t(c) = m*x/[m(c)*l(c)*[t(c)]^2]          |
| 01609-2280    | jdutka@wpi.bitnet jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu  husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka |
+---------------+------------------------------------------------------------+

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (01/21/90)

Bergstrom) writes:

>Now back to stopwatch, this is what I have clocked, beleive it or not:
>
>	It takes approximately 8 minutes for the computer to catch up with you
>every time you move the mouse to an action sequence, ie.. click mouse for
>mineral pickup, wait 8 minutes.  Click mouse for scanner, wait 8 minutes.
>Click mouse for map, wait 8 minutes.  Now, I'm being relatively modest with
>these times, in some situations I have waited up to 17 minutes for something
>to happen.
>
>Jim Bergstrom
>Saskatchewan Accelerator Laboratory
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sigh! One would think you'd have this one figured out all by yourself!

I know what happened. You came out of one experiment, still having accelerated
atoms within all your body and clothes. Next time you walk into the
Acceleration Tunnel, remember to take your watch off. That way although you
will still remain into an accelerated state when you get out, your watch will
count time like it has always done before!

Valentin  :-)

cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (01/22/90)

Starflight plays fairly quickly for me. I've got an A1000 w/2.5M and a
Stardrive. Are you sure you got the "code" right when you exited the
StarPort? I can't think of any other reason for it to be slow like that.
I find that if you "close" the viewport when taking off and landing on
planets that cuts the transisition time to under 10 seconds.

--Chuck McManis
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: cmcmanis  ARPAnet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM
"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"

evtracy@sdrc.UUCP (Tracy Schuhwerk) (01/22/90)

In article <1990Jan20.051542.12167@dvinci.usask.ca>, jim@skatter.uucp (Jim Bergstrom) writes:

> 	I have a major problem with this game.  I don't have a lifetime to play
> it....and believe me, it will take you a life time to play the bloody thing!
>
> 	Now, this game has major entertainment value, but unfortunately, it
> takes to ruddy long to play.  I'm talking time here, playing time!  Now I have
> been driven to the point of absolute frustration and have clocked this game with
> a stopwatch.  First thing though: I am attempting to participate in this game
> with an Amiga 1000 with 2 meg and have tried both 1.2, 1.3 kickstart plus two
> copied disks, (this game allows you to copy it and use a code wheel), and have
> gotten no where.  Now back to stopwatch, this is what I have clocked, beleive it
> or not:
> 	It takes approximately 8 minutes for the computer to catch up with you
> every time you move the mouse to an action sequence, ie.. click mouse for
> mineral pickup, wait 8 minutes.  Click mouse for scanner, wait 8 minutes.
> Click mouse for map, wait 8 minutes.  Now, I'm being relatively modest with thes
> times, in some situations I have waited up to 17 minutes for something to
> happen.  This is a bloody shame!  I can see " ELITE " blown out of the water
> with this game, but unfortunately, I don't think I'll live long enough.

I have StarFlight and run it on my Amiga 1000 with 512K (AUGH! I NEED MORE
MEMORY!) using KS 1.3 and have had no problems.  The only difference in the
2 systems that I can see from your description is the extra 1.5 meg of RAM.
I was blown away by the times you gave (defective stop watch???) because I
can't think of anything I have that sits for 8 minutes (except maybe some
of the rendering software I have...) and 17 minutes is really long!  I wonder
if the extra memory is causeing some sort of major hangup.  I agree with
you on the game (I'm not concerned as much with awe inspiring graphics on a
game of this type... just interesting exploration) it is really a good game!
I haven't used a stop watch to check out times, but I would guess that the
slowest thing I have seen about the game is an open port landing sequence
(which I only take every once in a while... if I need a break to get a
drink or something).
Good luck solving the problem, I would check out the memory situation (maybe
a "chipramfirst" type of command in the startup?)

Tracy (uunet!sdrc!evtracy)

 \XX/           Structural Dynamics Research Corporation        \XX/