[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Transactor

rap@dana.UUCP (Rob Peck) (01/19/88)

In article <2172@gryphon.CTS.COM>, jyouells@pnet02.cts.com (John Youells) writes:
> - has anyone seen Transactor for the
> Amiga yet?

At the Amy Expo, CompuSave was selling copies of the Amiga Transactor.
All in all, it is the kind of magazine that I woulda wanted to be
reading all along the way.  (Disclaimer - I do indeed have one of
my articles in it, but discounting that fact, I felt that which
was sandwiching my stuff was overall of a good quality.)

It somehow reminded me of the early days of Kilobaud Microcomputing
wherein even though you might not have the particular computer
(or in this case, the language about which the item is written)
the article itself remains interesting generically.

The magazine is mostly meat and little vegetation (few ads) and
is about 80 pages long (I remember the quote about the 100 pages
of editorial material and only 80 pages to put it in - forgot
to count - left it home.)

The "CUTE" aspect of the formatting is that each page has a title bar
and front/back gadgets.  At the bottom of the page is a scroll box
that contains a little square that shows the page number, and on each
page, from 1 to (80?), the page number box is moved slightly more
to the right, so that the last page number on the last page is
shoved over to the right hand edge.  Somebody else hadda point
this out to me --- I was so impressed with the technical quality
that I didnt notice the cute.

There are a lot of recognizeable names in the first issue - hope
they can continue to attract a quality bunch.  Names such as
Perry K, (me - 8^)), Matt Dillon, Larry Phillips and Steve Ahlstrom
(sysops from C$erve),
    aha, found my photocopy of the cover at least...

    Bryce Nesbitt, Jim Butterfield, Vic Wagner, Rico Mariani,
    Scott Ballantyne, Andy Finkel, J.C.Bat, John Toebes,
    Betty Clay, Don Curtis, and edited by Nick Sullivan
    (sysop of Commodore's Programming forum on CServe)
    among others.

Hope I did not forget anyone! (cover page did not mention the
editor's contributions).

Yes, I read it all, and enjoyed it all.  Good job folks!!
The issue is dated April 1988 and according to Transactor will
be in their distribution network RSN.  They brought 200 copies
"cross the border" for Amy Expo and all have been snapped up
thusfar.

If they don't "give" me a subscription, I am even planning on
paying for it.   Aaarrrgghhh, cash outlay - ah well, its worth it.

Rob Peck			...ihnp4!hplabs!dana!rap

Well, I just picked up the latest copy of Amiga Transactor. Looks great. I
might just subscribe to this one (even at $70/6 issues).

A few things, though...

* I had been under the impression that it was going to come in a plastic
  bag with the disks included, as well as naked. For extra bucks, of course.
  I'm disappointed that it wasn't... that's what you really need to pull
  in those newsstand sales.

  Of course the salesman I spoke to could have been suffering from a recto-
  cranial inversion. Such things have been known to happen. But this guy
  at least tries to keep up with the real world.

* The fake amiga title bars are just plain ugly. Well, Amiga title bars are
  a bit of an esthetic disaster in the first place, but at least they could
  have pixelised them to make them look better.

  The scroll bar for the page number was a nice touch. A bit of pixelisation
  would have helped there, too.

  The title on each page could be the title of the section. Maybe someone could
  do a "current directory title bar hack" for the Amiga Transactor :->.

* The title on the contents is "Transactor for the Amiga/The Magazine for
  Amiga Programmers". A much nicer title (sort of remaniscent of Dr Dobbs
  new look). How about it?

On to the meat...

* AbsExecBase and Amiga Dispatches (perhaps it could be called PutMsg for max
  cuteness?)... pretty good. Meaty. Less filler.

* Access (cute title? IDCMP?) Good. I'm not too interested in the particular
  programs covered, but I can see their place.

* The ViewPort. I really want to flame Larry Phillips to death. A total attack
  on 'C'. Perhaps he should have stopped typing after his fit of moderation
  was over.

* Perry's article was amusing, if a little low in substance. He could have
  repeated "Hacking on the Amiga cannot be done from an IBM PC." a few more
  times, though.

* Matt Dillon's article in accessing DOS via packets is going into my library.

* The next article is on the SCA virus. A little out of date.

* Then we come to another "Hacker Reminiscence". If they were going to take
  something out to cut 100 pages down to 80, they could have saved 4 pages
  here.

* "Hex 13 common amiga arrors and how to avoid them." A lot has been mentioned
  before, but it doesn't hurt to mention most of these again. And again...

* "Porting from UNIX to the Amiga." Good, but one thing you should always do
  is try to make software that runs in the CLI window if started from the
  CLI, and in its own window if started from the workbench. Besides, don't we
  have enough calculators with fake buttons already? I ought to stick an RPN
  calculator in my clock...

* Bob Peck's article on memory allocations and lists looks good. Haven't read
  it yet, but it skims well.

* "In the beginning was CAOS." If this article doesn't make you want to fly
  your workbench at half mast, you have no poetry in your soul.

* "A programmer's Tour of arp.library." I'll have to take another look at
  arp.library. One thing I noticed is that you still can't set up a
  template like: "DELETE ...,ALL/S,Q=QUIET/S:", with the ellipses standing
  for an indeterminate number of arguments.

* Didn't read the machine language article. If I wanted to program in machine
  language I'd have stuck with an Atari ST.

* I'll get around to the font article. Later. Promise.

* "Warrior Cycles". I want to scream. This sort of program has been on my
  to-do list for months (though I was gonna make it more like CROBOTS). I
  guess I should think about adding a "Warrior Cycles" port to "Tracers".

* Reviews... I'll look at Power Windows again. Promise.

Yeh. I definitely want to subscribe. Maybe after the next issue comes out,
if they keep up the quality.
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.

pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) (02/17/88)

Thanks to all who posted followups to my followup to someone's question
about when to expect their copies of Amiga Transactor to show up.  Most
of the followups said, in effect, "just got mine.  Be patient."  Well,
they were right.  I just got mine.  Lots of good articles.  If you
haven't got yours yet, be patient.

I'm sorry if my posting caused an avalanche of followups.  I never
imagined so many would respond.  Thank you all.  But I think the
topic's exhausted now (as are we all).
--
-Peter Schachte
pds@quintus.uucp

11TSTARK@GALLUA.BITNET (Timothy Stark) (12/05/88)

[Hey, line eater, you have sentenced death penalty for line murder. --jury]

Hello Amiga users:

   I have subscribed to Amiga Transactor since June 1988. I did not
received any issues since June 1988. A few weeks ago, you said
that they start to sell Amiga Transactor issue #3 and sent to subscribers
but I still did not received that. Should I sent proof of my check and
letter to Amiga Transactor for subscription problems? Please reply
me asap. Thanks!

-- Tim Stark

Don't send your mail through UUNET site because it is a black hole. Use
UCBVAX or RELAY.CS.NET gateway to send mail to gallux.gallaudet.edu. Thank!
Timothy Stark          |   Bitnet:   11tstark@gallua.bitnet
Gallaudet University   |   Internet: 11tstark@gallux.gallaudet.edu
P.O. Box 1453          |   "Gallaudet University is the only university for
Washington, DC 20002   |    the deaf in the world."
I came home with Volume 1, Issue 3 AND Volume 1, Issue 4.

Volume 1, Issue 3 contains:

     -Breakpoint - third in a series on debugging by Victor A. Wagner
     -Ray Tracing theory by Cathryn Graham
     -Internationalizing your programs by John Toebes
     -The ANSI standard for C by Eric Giguere
     -A 68020/6881 board for the Amiga 1000! by Brad Fowles
     -Ray Tracing with a 68020 system by Louis Markoya
     -AmigaBasic 3-D plotting routines by Anthony Bryant
     -BridgeBoard notes by Dan Schein
     -PLUS Reviews; regular columns by Larry Phillips, Don Curtis and Steve
      Ahlstrom; programming tips in bits; new products and more

Volume 2, Issue 4 contains:

     -Calling the CLI form AmigaBASIC by Jim Butterfield
     -What's changed in Fonts with 1.3 by Betty Clay
     -The future of Amiga microcomputing by David Wood
     -Creating run-time libraries by Steve Simpson
     -Modula-2 programming techniques by Clark Williams
     -Using TDI's M2AMIGA by Anthony Bryant
     -Examples of shell programming by John Faichney
     -Understanding C Declaration Syntax by Eric Giguere
     -Review of WordPerfect Library by Jay Gross

king@client2.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) (12/06/88)

In article <8812050556.AA08141@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 11TSTARK@GALLUA.BITNET (Timothy Stark) writes:
> ... Should I sent proof of my check and
>letter to Amiga Transactor for subscription problems? Please reply
>me asap. Thanks!

At the risk of being part of a deluge of similar postings, here is my
contribution:

Fear not. TransAmi is in the mail. I got my copy a few days ago. Since I
live in Toronto, where the mag is published, I have mine before most of
North America. You will probably get yours before this news item ...
--
  {utzoo|mnetor}!dciem!zorac!dretor!king  or  king%dretor@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca
  Stephen J King   =-=   DCIEM Human Factors Division   =-=   (416) 635-2149

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (12/20/88)

papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>After reading all three i can safely say, Transactor IS the BEST Amiga
>magazine bar none.  Amiga Sentry is good, but seems to be always too

Hey Marco... have you ever seen THE AMIGAN APPRENTICE AND JOURNEYMAN ?
It might make you change your mind about "BEST." AA&J is in a "journal"
format - stapled, 3-hole punched, no advertising, not sold on newsstands.

I'd agree with your other comments.  It seems to me that the "Roomers"
column in Amazing is stirring up controversy... that translates into
increased sales, so the Bandito is serving his purpose to AC, if not in
one way, surely in another. :-)

Harv Laser, Sysop, The People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com
<---open            Push down while turning           close tightly--->

In article <9810@gryphon.COM> hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:
>papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>>After reading all three i can safely say, Transactor IS the BEST Amiga
>>magazine bar none.  Amiga Sentry is good, but seems to be always too
>
>Hey Marco... have you ever seen THE AMIGAN APPRENTICE AND JOURNEYMAN ?
>It might make you change your mind about "BEST." AA&J is in a "journal"
>format - stapled, 3-hole punched, no advertising, not sold on newsstands.

Yes, I've heard of it, and have been told that it has great articles,
BUT how do I get it? Also, is there any way to get past issues?

>I'd agree with your other comments.  It seems to me that the "Roomers"
>column in Amazing is stirring up controversy... that translates into
>increased sales, so the Bandito is serving his purpose to AC, if not in
>one way, surely in another. :-)

Yes, I, as many others, buy Amazing Computing, and the first thing I do
is turn to Roomers.  I don't deny that :-)  On the other hand, the
section has so many factual inaccuracies and plain lies that I understand
why some developers are upset.  I doubt AC will stop the section, on
ground of "free press" and, as Harv points out, because they know now that
THAT section just sells the magazine, as well as Geraldo Rivera's trash
seems to sell well.  We have free speech, and there should be space for
anything, as long as there is somebody that wants to buy it [and one
can always sue for libel, anyway].

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'

uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

mikhe@mina.liu.se (Mike Henry) (12/22/88)

Getting tired of reading about my {harddrive,magazine,memory expansion,
startup-sequence,etc etc} is better than yours.

Get the picture?? B^)

		-Mike

--
INET : mikhe@majestix.ida.liu.se                                      ///
UUCP : {mcvax,munnari,ukc,unido}!enea!liuida!majestix!mikhe          ///

toebes@sas.UUCP (John Toebes) (12/22/88)

In article <14160@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>In article <9810@gryphon.COM> hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:
>>papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>>Hey Marco... have you ever seen THE AMIGAN APPRENTICE AND JOURNEYMAN ?
>>It might make you change your mind about "BEST." AA&J is in a "journal"
>>format - stapled, 3-hole punched, no advertising, not sold on newsstands.
>Yes, I've heard of it, and have been told that it has great articles,
>BUT how do I get it? Also, is there any way to get past issues?
>-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
  The Amigan Apprentice and Journeyman is published 6 times a year out
   of Hatteras, NC.  You can subscribe for $24 a year at:
       The Amigans
       Box 411
       Hatteras, NC 27943
Back issues are available.  At one time you could simply 'back start' your
subscription to get the back issues.  It is currently in the third year of
publishing.

|@|)  John A. Toebes, VIII       usenet:..mcnc!rti!sas!toebes
|.|   Coordinator of The Software Distillery
===   USnail: 235 Trillingham Ln, Cary NC 27513   BBS: (919)-471-6436

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (01/13/90)

Hello all -

I just received a copy of the Amiga Transactor,
Volume 3 number 1 in the mail today.

It's a bit late, hoho, but at least something is
happening...

--
  \\\\	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \66/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

Outsider@cup.portal.com (carl f hoffman) (01/17/90)

> Hello all -
>
> I just received a copy of the Amiga Transactor,
> Volume 3 number 1 in the mail today.
>
> It's a bit late, hoho, but at least something is
> happening...
>
> --
>   \\\\	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
> w \66/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
>  `/v/-e	 BitNet:   BECKER@HUMBER.BITNET
> _<  \_	 "Head-slam me, Jesus, on the turnbuckle of life" - Godzibo

Hey, check and tell us what Vol. 3 number 1 says Amiga Transactor's
address and telephone number is.

fc@lexicon.com (Frank Cunningham) (01/17/90)

In article <26014@cup.portal.com> Outsider@cup.portal.com (carl f hoffman) writes:

> > I just received a copy of the Amiga Transactor,
> > Volume 3 number 1 in the mail today.

> Hey, check and tell us what Vol. 3 number 1 says Amiga Transactor's
> address and telephone number is.

This was posted a while back by Kenneth Herron :

"Well, I stayed out of this discussion until now, but this posting
prompted me to check the Transactor I picked up in WaldenBooks while
christmas shopping.  I'd been assuming you all were talking about
the _next_ issue, you see, but, upon examining the cover, darned
if it wasn't Volume 3, issue 1, the ?october?'89? issue.

Anyway, The box on the table of contents page lists:
office number (416) 764-5273 (or 5274)
fax number    (416) 764-9262
Order line    (800) 248-2719 x 911"

These office numbers remain out of service this morning (18jan90).
--
-Frank Cunningham   smart: fc@lexicon.com	phone: (617) 891-6790
		    dumb: {husc6,linus,harvard,bbn}!spdcc!lexicon!fc

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (01/20/90)

I called Amiga Transactor all through November and December.  Never
got that promised return phone call.  I am very sorry to see them go
but it seems clear they are not in regular publication anymore.  I
bought my last issue from the newsstand and won't be subscribing until
I see at least a year of continuous publication.  I hope they pull another
miracle like the last time.  If issues keep showing up I will buy them.

Amiga Transactor is (was) my favorite magazine.

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (01/22/90)

In article <26141@cup.portal.com> FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:
>I called Amiga Transactor all through November and December.  Never
>got that promised return phone call.  I am very sorry to see them go
>but it seems clear they are not in regular publication anymore.  I

Well, I finally received issue 3.1 in the mail on Saturday Jan. 20 1990.
Maybe this means that the subscriber data base is finally fixed.  I agree
with Dana, if Amiga Transactor cannot succeed in publishing continuously
for a year, I will let my subscription lapse.

--
 Bill Murphy                          murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu
Enjoying my Amiga 2000, but holding out for a real computer: The Amiga 3000!!