[comp.sys.amiga] Need help with supra interface!!

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (01/21/90)

In <824@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, rabbits@ucscb.UCSC.EDU writes:

| [about Supra problems]
  Can't help with the supra stuff, sorry.

| The drive is a CDC 94161-86
| i dont have the specs for it but was wanting to
| play with low numbers for formating specs.
| as it is, even if i had the real numbers it would do me no
| good since its hanging on the format pre-lims.
|
| i would also like any comprehensive lists people may have
| for harddrive specs, i heard someone posted such a list
| a year or so ago.

  One of the best places to get Hard Drive Specs is the
 Western Digital Mass Storage BBS (714)756-8176. The file there to
 look for is called DRVTALL.TXT (60K). They try to keep specs on
 all drives available there (allegedly).
  The version from 10/2/89 has the following info on CDC.
 C D C          612-853-8100
 MODEL   SCSI             CAP   CYC  H  RWC  WPC ENC  RATE ACCESS  SPT
 9-161-86   WREN-3 5.25 FH 86   969  -  970  970           16.5 MS
 94161-121  WREN-3 5.25 FH 121  969  -  970  970           16.5 MS

  "In America, a kid would see a Cadillac going down the street
        and he'd say, `I wanna get one of those'.
   In England, he'd pick up rocks and throw them at it."
                                                  -Stephen Lambert
      Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
       uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
               a186@mindlink.UUCP

rabbits@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (01/22/90)

i have played with two version of install software,
no luck with either:
supraboot II v1.02
supraboot II v1.09f

the problem is this:

power up the drive. (wait for heads to settle)
power up the a500 with the supraboot disk in drive 0.
^D so its doent hang on a supra mount, drive has never been amiga formated.
supraformat
after supraformat loads it immediately trys to talk to the
drive and sets the drive and controller to "other"
and sets the lowest cylinder to 0 and the high to 1.
the drive light goes on and the format util seems to be locked up
it wont let me exit or do anything but the mouse still works.

??????????????????????

The drive is a CDC 94161-86
i dont have the specs for it but was wanting to
play with low numbers for formating specs.
as it is, even if i had the real numbers it would do me no
good since its hanging on the format pre-lims.

i would also like any comprehensive lists people may have
for harddrive specs, i heard someone posted such a list
a year or so ago.

anyhelp appreciated

thnx

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (01/22/90)

In article <824@darkstar.ucsc.edu> rabbits@ucscb.UCSC.EDU () writes:
>after supraformat loads it immediately trys to talk to the
>drive and sets the drive and controller to "other"
>and sets the lowest cylinder to 0 and the high to 1.
>the drive light goes on and the format util seems to be locked up
>it wont let me exit or do anything but the mouse still works.
>
>The drive is a CDC 94161-86
>i dont have the specs for it but was wanting to
>play with low numbers for formating specs.

The jumpers on the drive are probably set wrong. I had similar problems
until I changed the jumpers. Mine had originally been jumpered to not
spin up the drive until told to, which is not what supra expects. It
had also been jumpered to the wrong unit number.

Lastly, you probably need to add termination resisters to the drive.
Drives intended for e.g. Mac's are usually already terminated because
generally people only use one. CDC drives are usually not terminated
internally because they're often used in e.g. workstations with multiple
drives, and a single terminator is added *externally*. The internal
termination resister packs are dirt cheap and readily available.
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary