[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Answering Machine

jwhitman@stl-06sima.army.mil (Jerry Whitman) (10/27/89)

The thread on voice-mail has prompted my litle mind to wonder what I need
to do to get my Amy to answer the phone and take messages when I am not
available.

I am quite un-informed in this area, so anthing you can pass along will be
helpful.

I have a Multi-Tech 2400 baud modem that supports auto-answer hooked up
to my 2000HD (40 MB).

* Are there any packages (PD or commercial) that will answer the line,
  provide a message, and then take a message?
* How can the modem recognize that the incoming call is voice so it does
  not try to blow away the callers eardrum?
* What storage would be required to capture 30 seconds of sampled voice?
* Can I pick up the receiver and preempt Amy and the modem?
These are basic answering machine features I would like to emulate.

I am sure there is more I need to know, so any hints will be appreciated.

Thanks again for the help!

Regards, Jerry

big@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Alan Porter) (01/22/90)

Oliver,

You write...
> some time ago the german issue of amiga world (called amiga welt)
> included an article and a schematic, to connect an old cassette recorder
> and a microphone both to your amiga and the telephone line, that
> the amiga when the phone rings will answer the call with either
> a spoken message or a digitalized sample and then turn on the tape
> to record any messages of the caller.
> the material cost less than 20,-DM and already works fine at a friend
> of mine.
> this solution don't need a modem, but a tape recorder with a remote-entry.
> if there still someone is interested in this solution and can't get this
> issue of amiga welt, then let me know and i will post it here ...

> cowboz@image (Oliver Adam)                  ...einoed!utopia!image!cowboz

    I am interested in the answering machine you mentioned above.
I could not reach you by e-mail.  Could you post a copy of the
article from Amiga Welt (is it in English, I hope)?  If it is easier
for you to USmail a paper copy, that would be fine.

                                           Thanks in advance.

    //      big@shumv1.ncsu.edu                Alan Porter
  \X/       rap@cscaza.ncsu.edu
 Amiga      Box 21536 NCSU / Raleigh, NC 27607 USA / (919) 737-6156