[comp.sys.amiga] TV Sports Football

felixc@mtgzy.att.com (Felix Cabral) (01/24/89)

I have been looking for comments on "TV Sports Football" for the amiga but
have not seen any discussion on this game. Has anyone played it? The graphics
look great and it seems to be the best football game around. That is, if you
rather have the arcade style graphics as apose to a strategically complicated
game. Any critiques will help me decide if I should buy it or not. Please email
only unless you feel its worth sharing with others.

--
Felix Cabral		{felixc@mtgzy.att.com}      "Just give me a rad
AT&T Bell Labs		{	  or         }       wave, a rad board

uggbrand@cs.Buffalo.EDU (G. Brandon Brooks) (07/28/89)

   I'm writing a letter to CinemaWare about their TV Sports Football,
concerning whether or not they will be releasing an updated version for
this years and for future NFL seasons.
   I would also like to tell them all the 'bugs' or 'quirks' with the game
that I have found. If anyone has found anything else besides the dozen
that I mention here, please respond so I can include those in my letter.

(1) The QB (or any player, really) can run BEHIND their endzone off the
    bottom of the screen without being called for a safety.
(2) If a team is very near the scoring endzone, like on the 1 or 1/2 yard
    line, and the other team commits a penalty, the ball is placed IN the
    endzone a few pixels. Upon hiking the ball, the computer endlessly
    repeats 'TOUCHDOWN' which forces you to reboot the computer.
(3) Time stops sometimes and othertimes doesn't after kickoffs.
(4) You CAN catch a ball out-of-bounds
(5) If any team scores within the final minute of the game, the computer
    responds 'xxxxx SCORES THE WINNING TOUCHDOWN'. The scenerio:
    My hometown Buffalo Bills are trouncing those panzies the 49ers 45-0
    late in the 4th quarter. With 3 seconds left - on a fluke play - the
    49ers have enough OOMPH to put the ball in the endzone. The 49ers score
    the 'winning touchdown' whereby losing the game 45-6. (after missing
    the extra point)
(6) Simple plays in the NFL that take 6 seconds seem to take 24 seconds in
    TV Sports sometimes.
(7) You CAN'T call a timeout after you've already chosen a play.
(8) You CAN'T call a timeout or even SEE the time remaining when you
    are on the playing screen.
(9) If the QB hands off JUST BEFORE he is tackled by an oncoming tackler,
    you see the ball lateral across the screen, but then the play is blown
    dead and recorded as a sack. Perhaps you could call this 'in the grasp'? :)
(10)If you try and down the ball in the endzone after catching the ball after
    a punt or kickoff, the computer responds "DON'T BE A WIMP! GO FOR IT!".
    If you try being a wimp, the other team tackles you for a safety.
(11)Scoring doesn't occur in the correct quarters sometimes. My opponent
    once caught me for a saftey in the last play of the 1st half, and the
    computer placed those 2 points in the 3rd quarter.
(12)The disk drive never stops whirring when you are designing teams

Anybody have anything else they found?

		-Brandon!

watters@penguin.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (01/19/90)

>do.  On defense you can steal the ball, and block shots.  There are other
>maneuvers described in the manual that I haven't tried yet.  The only other
>sports simulation I have is Cinemaware TV Sports Football, which IMHO sucks
>the big one.  In that game you hardly have any control over your players, with
>MJBB you can really involve yourself in the game because you have so much more
>control over the players.

>-Jonathan

This person stuck his neck out on the block with this one, so befoe all you
TV sports fans can rag on him I will have my say.
John coudn't be more right about TVsports football.  If you were thinking of
buying this one don't.  Cinemaware does not need your money and you don't need
this poor excuse for a footballsimulation.  As you can tell I bought this one
and hated it.  The offnsive line doesn't move; the deffensive line doesn't
rush.  And the most anoying game feature I have seen in my life: They wanted it
to be playable for novice people so at the snap of the ball, the computer
controls your guy, and you have to forceably pull him away from computer
control.  This makes your reaction time to the play horrible!!!
If you wan't a GREAT football simulation.  The most accurate thing on any
system is Gridiron for the Amiga.

P.S. You can get Gridiron for $9.95, mailorder!

DW

sk2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Sun Kun Kim) (01/20/90)

I don't know how many people have this game, but I most emphatically
disagree that this game sucks.  When I first saw this game, I just had
to get it.  I think this is a good 'arcade' type of a game where it
gives you a nice combination of graphics, digitized sounds, and
simulator-like stats.(Keeps stat on everything from each player
rushing/receiving yardage, scores of all games by week, top rushers,
passers, and much more.)  If you don't like arcade type of games and are
more interested in simulator oriented games, then you probably won't
like this game.  However, if you like arcade-quality graphics with bits
of fancy features such as half time shows and some stats, you will
ultimately enjoy this game.

You must give credit to the guys who programmed this game considering
that this game came out a couple years ago.   For those who criticize
this game, notice that it wasn't meant to be a 'great SIMULATOR' but
rather a 'great GAME'!  It is true that the computer will take over the
control of your player if you don't have your joystick poiting anywhere
right before the game, but this is easily overcome by poiting to the
direction you want to move before the center snaps the ball.  It might
be a little hassle but it will become almost a second nature to you.  By
doing so, you don't lose ANY 'reaction time'.  This might be the only
feature you might not like, but other neat stuff in this game truly
makes it one of better games that is out on the market right now.  I
would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

                                                                         Sun...
P.S. This is not meant to be a flame, but trying to show other people
who might be interested in this game the other side of the coin.

mikew@frodo.uucp (01/20/90)

In article <75903@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> <watters@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>If you wan't a GREAT football simulation.  The most accurate thing on any
>system is Gridiron for the Amiga.
>
>P.S. You can get Gridiron for $9.95, mailorder!
>
>DW

Any other gridiron players out there? Anybody up to a challenge or maybe
a tournament? I don't know how it could ever be arranged but it would be
fun. Combine it with Earl Weaver Baseball championships and Gretzky Hockey.
The Video Sports Championships sponsered by Bethesda Software and Electronic
Arts held in Las Vegas annually with the champions return trip paid for by
the sponsers. Any sponsers out there listening?

------------------------------------
Mike Wooten             (if you want words of wisdom go find zippy)

IBM Adv Workstation Development
INTERNET:  ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!mikew@frodo.austin.ibm.com

stephen@hpdml93.HP.COM (Stephen Holmstead) (01/22/90)

Sun Kun Kim writes:
>I don't know how many people have this game, but I most emphatically
>disagree that this game sucks.  When I first saw this game, I just had
>to get it.

I don't agree with you.  I think it sucks.  True, it has good graphics,
but I find that I am CONSTANTLY waiting for the graphics to load from
the stupid floppy.  It takes longer for the animation sequence to load
than it lasts!  Why should I wait >2 mins between scoring a touchdown
and the next kickoff?

Also, TVS doesn't implement very many features.   The computer NEVER
gets penalties.  Why can't the refs call pass interference?  Why do my
receivers ocassionally run their 'own' routes and not the one I choose
for them?  Why should I have to burn one of my time-outs to answer the
door (it needs official's time-outs)?  Why doesn't the clock stop at the
2-minute warning?  Why doesn't the game run on a harddisk (where the
load times would make more sense)?  Why don't the offensive and
defensive lines move?  Why can't you block punts?  Why can't you do
on-side kicks?  Why can't you see the kickoff?  Why didn't they spend
more time making the 'game' playable, and not just look good?

I could probably stand the game if it could be loaded to a harddisk or
it ran a little faster.  As the game is now, it is in my trashcan.

|___\   /   /___| Division         \X/ Amiga        stephen@hpdmlge.boi.hp.com