[comp.sys.amiga] Chatterbox problem

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (01/22/90)

Well, I've gotten independent confirmation that Chatterbox has problems burning
up CPU time on some systems.

I have been unable to reproduce this on my system.  The program is a more-or-
less standard Amiga Wait/event loop, and was written to consume no CPU time
when it wasn't doing something.

If people having this problem could email their configurations to me, I'd
appreciate it.

Also if anyone having the problem could compile the code and figure it out
with sdb or something, that would be even more appreciated.

Regards,
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl	"As long as there is a legion of superheros, all else
--			 can surely be made right." -- Sensor Girl

olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM (John Olsen) (01/23/90)

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) replies:
>THIS IS FALSE.  I just tested the program, and it DOES MULTITASK.

I've seen some brain-dead early versions of shells which run things at
really high priorities, making it look like the program takes over the
machine.  Mouse movement stops, etc.  If you have this problem and are
using a shell, try it without a shell.  If it misbehaves from a standard
cli, *then* you probably have a bug of some sort.

John M. Olsen, Graphics Software Engineer
olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM  -or-  ...!hplabs!hpfcdq!olsen
(W) Hewlett-Packard, Mail Stop 73, 3404 E. Harmony Road, Ft Collins, CO 80525
(H) 700 E. Drake Rd. #E12, Ft Collins, CO 80525