[comp.sys.amiga] A2091 Recommendations

okay@tafs.mitre.org (Okay, S J) (01/23/90)

>To:  okay@tafs (OKAY at TAFS)
>Subject: Re: A2091:  How good is it?
>
>From: hunt@boulder.Colorado.EDU (HUNT LEE CAMERON)
>In article <15646@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, hunt@boulder.Colorado.EDU writes:
>
>>I have a question.
>>
>>I'm helping my friend get a harddrive.  He has an A2000, rev. 4.3.i
>>I suggested that he get a HardFrame and a Miniscribe SCSI drive
>>(I can get Miniscribe drives cheap since they're local).  But, I was
>>wondering how good the A2091s perform.  I know that the A2090s suck rocks
>>when there's DMA contention and my friend wants a fast controller.
>>
>>So what should I suggest he get?
>
>I have heard nothing but good things about the A2091 hard drive controller.
>And they *are* out.  I have one sitting on my desk.  My hard drive is "in
>the mail" so I don't know anything firsthand.  A nice feature of the 2091
>is the ability to add memory in 512K, 1Meg or 2Meg increments.  There is
>an 80 page manual and the instilation software looks good.

The A2091s may be great, but I'd probably hold off on getting the Miniscribe
for a while, seeing as how they just went Chapter XI this week, with some of
the management being strung up for fraudand mismanagement. Apparently, they
shipped bricks to some customers and tried to pass them off as disk drives.
(See the cover of the 1/9/90 MAC WEEK for the details)

>Ian Smith <ims103@psuvm.bitnet>
---Steve
Stephen Okay
OKAY@TAFS.MITRE.ORG		"I wept because I had no shoes, until I met a
				 man who had no feet, so I said 'Hey man, got
				 any shoes you're not using?' "
Disclaimer:"Mine....minemineminemineminemine!!!!"