[comp.sys.amiga] RJ Mical

d87-khd@sm.luth.se (Karl-Gunnar Hultland) (01/11/90)

I've heard some rumors that RJ Mical(the man who wrote intuition)
has been designing a machine for A*ari called the Lynx.
I've never heard about that machine and thus I wonder if there's some
truth behind that rumor.

					Karl

<$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$>
< Karl 'Kalle' Hultland    <$>                                               >
< Dept. of Comp. sci.      <$> d87-khd@sm.luth.se |                          >
< University of Lulea      <$> {uunet,mcvax}!sunic.se!sm.luth.se!d87-khd     >
< Sweden                   <$>                                               >
<$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$>
<      If two people agree on EVERYTHING , one of them is OBSOLETE!!         >
<$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$>

brandonl@amadeus.WR.TEK.COM (Brandon G. Lovested) (01/11/90)

In article <699@tau.sm.luth.se>, d87-khd@sm.luth.se (Karl-Gunnar Hultland) writes:
> I've heard some rumors that RJ Mical(the man who wrote intuition)
> has been designing a machine for A*ari called the Lynx.
> I've never heard about that machine and thus I wonder if there's some
> truth behind that rumor.

I don't know about RJ Mical, but:

The Atari Lynx is a portable game machine about the size of a VHS videotape.
Is features an approximately 4 inch diagonal COLOR LCD screen of decent
resolution.  It also has the ability, depending on the game being played, to
hook up as many as 7 or 8 *other* Lynx machines via cable in order to have
multiple player interaction.  Software (games) arrive in the form of cards
that easily plug in.

Designed to wipe out the comparatively anemic Nintendo Gameboy, the release
of the Lynx is "real soon now."  It is too late, for 40%-60% of electronic
and games sales in the personal market is during the Christmas shopping season.
I have heard of no technical problems, though that should be the only valid
reason to delay it thus.  Otherwise, Atari would have to be one of the top
five most incompetently run companies ever, perhaps even displacing
General Motors.

I do not work for Atari, nor do I drive a GM car.
I do own a supported computer, and I do manage to get to work daily.
;-)

						+                   *	    +
							*
								+      *
- - - - -------======<<<<<{{{{{{[[[[[[ BRANDONIUS  brandonl@amadeus.WR.TEK.COM
						 +                    +
          					      *       *           *

In article <699@tau.sm.luth.se> Karl-Gunnar Hultland <d87-khd@sm.luth.se> writes:
>I've heard some rumors that RJ Mical(the man who wrote intuition)
>has been designing a machine for A*ari called the Lynx.
>I've never heard about that machine and thus I wonder if there's some
>truth behind that rumor.

Yes, the Lynx was actually unveiled this week at CES.  As it has been widely
publicized on 'other' nets, RJ and David Needle designed it at Epix, and
quit when ATARI refused payment after Epix failed top deliver software on
time and subsequently (in all practical terms) folded as a result of it.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

evgabb@sdrc.UUCP (Rob Gabbard) (01/11/90)

In article <699@tau.sm.luth.se>, d87-khd@sm.luth.se (Karl-Gunnar Hultland) writes:
> I've heard some rumors that RJ Mical(the man who wrote intuition)
> has been designing a machine for A*ari called the Lynx.
> I've never heard about that machine and thus I wonder if there's some
> truth behind that rumor.

I'm not sure if RJ is developing it or not, but the Lynx is a hand-held game
machine made by Epyx to be marketed by Atari. It is essentially a color
Nintendo Game Boy (LCD, networking, etc.). I think the first game to be out
on it is Epyx's California Games. Epyx has halted any further computer game
development to focus on the Lynx. I understand this was also caused by a lack
of financial resources and that they layed off quite a few.

One interesting note: Although the Lynx is being marketed by Atari, to develop
software for it, you must use an Amiga !

Rob Gabbard (uunet!sdrc!evgabb)                 _    /|
Workstation Systems Programmer                  \'o.O'
Structural Dynamics Research Corporation        =(___)=

evtracy@sdrc.UUCP (Tracy Schuhwerk) (01/11/90)

In article <699@tau.sm.luth.se>, d87-khd@sm.luth.se (Karl-Gunnar Hultland) writes:
> I've heard some rumors that RJ Mical(the man who wrote intuition)
> has been designing a machine for A*ari called the Lynx.
> I've never heard about that machine and thus I wonder if there's some
> truth behind that rumor.

Check out rec.games.video...  There has been a lot of really positive talk
coming across there about the Lynx (which is real and is availiable in a
very limited quantity).  I stopped in our local "Toys-Sure-R-Expensive"
store and they had the Lynx and a few cartridges listed in their price
book (Lynx with California Games cartridge: $179.95) but they have not
had any in the store yet.  People in L.A. have already got them.
Interesting note:  The resolution of the Lynx color LCD screen is exactly
1/2 that of the Amiga Low-Res screen (160X100) and it can display 32 colors.
From what I gather, there is a developers kit that will be made available
for the Amiga.  All in all the Lynx sounds like it is really nice!

     /// _______________     /        /                    /        ///
    ///     /    (___    _  /_       /_          _   __   /_/      ///
\\\///     / .  _____)__(__/ /__/_/_/ /__/_/_/__(/__/ (__/ \   \\\///
 \XX/           Structural Dynamics Research Corporation        \XX/

fc@lexicon.com (Frank Cunningham) (01/11/90)

In article <699@tau.sm.luth.se> d87-khd@sm.luth.se (Karl-Gunnar Hultland) writes:

> I've heard some rumors that RJ Mical(the man who wrote intuition)
> has been designing a machine for A*ari called the Lynx.

This was announced on this net here a while back.
Here is that posting, from jun89, by Leo L. Schwab.
I believe the product has been shown at CES shows, and
may even be for sale.

	It was revealed on BIX a couple of nights ago that Atari will
manufacture a handheld cartridge-based game machine.

	No, this isn't another one of those vapor announcements in response
to the competition that Atari has been so famous for making of late.
This is real.

	It doesn't have a name yet, but how do these specs grab you:

	o 4 MHz 65C02 (Not impressed?  Read on.)
	o Built-in backlit color LCD display
	o 160 x 102 resolution (it's a dinky screen, folks)
	o 16 colors out of 4096
	o 4-channel sound (not stereo (yet))
	o Carts can contain up to 2MB of data
	o Built-in joypad and fire buttons
	o Serial port for networking (up to eight machines)
	o Super-high-performance "sprite" engine, with hardware flip,
	  tilt, and scaling (unlimited number of sprites (you feed the
	  hardware a linked list, and it goes)).  In tests, 700 sprites
	  have been animated at better than 10 fps.
	o Hardware assist for multiplication and division (16x16=32
	  multiplier, 32/16=32(16r) divider)
	o Designed by Dave Needle and -=RJ Mical=-, formerly of Amiga,
	  currently of Epyx (there were doubtless others involved, but I
	  don't know who they are)
	o Projected price:  $149.95

	Also, Epyx will be the final arbiter of what software gets
distributed for the system.  And the software development system runs on
(guess what?) Amigas.

	Now then.  Why would you want to bother with the Nint-end-o Gameboy?

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac
-Frank Cunningham   smart: fc@lexicon.com	phone: (617) 891-6790
		    dumb: {husc6,linus,harvard,bbn}!spdcc!lexicon!fc
		    snail: Lexicon Inc.  100 Beaver St.  Waltham MA 02174
		    Real Recording Engineers mix direct to stereo.

gerry@pencilbox.uucp (Gerry Lachac) (01/12/90)

In article <22224@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:

>Yes, the Lynx was actually unveiled this week at CES.

Actually its been out a while.  My little brother (actually he's 6'
5"", but he is in high school :-) has a friend who works in Toys 'R Us
who let me play with one "after hours" before Xmas.

This machine is NICE!  It boasts a very well constructed metal case,
and a tiny hires color LCD. A little pricey, (about $180 I think) but
it is a great little toy if you have the cash.

I was most impressed with the speed.  The game that comes with it is
Epyx's California Games.  If you select the Skateboard Competition,
you first see a skateboard field in the distance (one of those
concrete "U" things that you go back and forth on).   All of a sudden,
you zoom in on it very quickly.  It is very impressive. Heck, I was
awed, and I own an amiga :-)

I would like to know a few things about Lynx out of curiosity.

	Does anyone know the microprocessor used?
	Does anyone know the resolution of the screen?

uunet!dialogic!gerry   | "Even a dead plant turns  |	Dialogic Corporation
	OR	       |  over a new leaf 	   |	300 Littleton Rd
gerry@dialogic.UUCP    |  when the wind blows."	   |	Parsippany, NJ 07054

king@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) (01/12/90)

In article <22224@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>Yes, the Lynx was actually unveiled this week at CES.  As it has been widely
>publicized on 'other' nets, RJ and David Needle designed it at Epix, and

Say, this isn't the thing that was developed using an Amiga, was it? Seems
to me that I recently heard about a system bought by Atari and I'm under
the impression that it was Epyx (sp?). Anyway, as it turns out, Atari now
has to buy an Amiga if they want to continue development of the system. HA.
Poetic justice.

swarren@eugene.uucp (Steve Warren) (01/12/90)

In article <1032@sdrc.UUCP> evtracy@sdrc.UUCP (Tracy Schuhwerk) writes:
>Interesting note:  The resolution of the Lynx color LCD screen is exactly
>1/2 that of the Amiga Low-Res screen (160X100) and it can display 32 colors.

Try 1/4: 320X200 = 64,000 pixels,  160X100 = 16,000 pixels.

In other words, it takes four Lynx screens to make one Amiga low-res screen.

--Steve
	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (01/14/90)

In article <4538@convex.UUCP> swarren@convex.COM (Steve Warren) writes:
|In article <1032@sdrc.UUCP> evtracy@sdrc.UUCP (Tracy Schuhwerk) writes:
|>Interesting note:  The resolution of the Lynx color LCD screen is exactly
|>1/2 that of the Amiga Low-Res screen (160X100) and it can display 32 colors.
|
|Try 1/4: 320X200 = 64,000 pixels,  160X100 = 16,000 pixels.
|
|In other words, it takes four Lynx screens to make one Amiga low-res screen.

	Actually the term "resolution" is another kind of
	measurement, i.e. picture elements per linear dimension,
	such as "lines/millimeter", or "pixels/inch".

	One of the reasons the Mac looked so good when it
	came out is that the resolution was quite high for
	the time in comparison to other displays in its market
	niche. I suspect that the resolution of the Lynx
	will be favorable due to the small display size,
	offsetting the small number of pixels in terms of
	perceived display quality.

Cheers,
--
  ,,,,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \$$/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

evtracy@sdrc.UUCP (Tracy Schuhwerk) (01/15/90)

In article <4538@convex.UUCP>, swarren@eugene.uucp (Steve Warren) writes:
> In article <1032@sdrc.UUCP> evtracy@sdrc.UUCP (Tracy Schuhwerk) writes:
> >Interesting note:  The resolution of the Lynx color LCD screen is exactly
> >1/2 that of the Amiga Low-Res screen (160X100) and it can display 32 colors.
>
> Try 1/4: 320X200 = 64,000 pixels,  160X100 = 16,000 pixels.
>
> In other words, it takes four Lynx screens to make one Amiga low-res screen.

Sorry... It was early... My brain was still in bed... I missed that one.
Anyway, my point was that to develop for the Lynx (made by ATARI <== in
big letters) you use an AMIGA (In big bold flashing neon letters)!  Heh
heh heh!  I like it!

I hope the Lynx does well in the video game market, it sounds like a
dynamite machine!  The word in rec.games.video is that there are about
30 more games that have been announced for 1990 (which is much less than
the 60+ that GameBoy has coming but hey... it's a start).

Does anyone know anything about the developers kit for that Amiga?  I
am getting the itch to work on something and this sound like a fun
project.

     /// _______________     /        /                    /        ///
    ///     /    (___    _  /_       /_          _   __   /_/      ///
\\\///     / .  _____)__(__/ /__/_/_/ /__/_/_/__(/__/ (__/ \   \\\///
 \XX/           Structural Dynamics Research Corporation        \XX/

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (01/16/90)

In article <2172@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
<
<	Actually the term "resolution" is another kind of
<	measurement, i.e. picture elements per linear dimension,
<	such as "lines/millimeter", or "pixels/inch".
<
<	One of the reasons the Mac looked so good when it
<	came out is that the resolution was quite high for
<	the time in comparison to other displays in its market
<	niche. I suspect that the resolution of the Lynx
<	will be favorable due to the small display size,
<	offsetting the small number of pixels in terms of
<	perceived display quality.
<

The Lynx screen is quite impressive, despite the "Low resolution".
Its being 1/2 the pixel dimensions of the Amy is no accident.

The main problem is fairly low contrast. It does well on brighter scenes,
so the basic game type stuff looks pretty good, but dimmer more subtle
shadings get washed out easily since the screen is backlit.

RJ and I brought up a sample Distant Suns screen on the Lynx about a year
ago. The sharpness and colors were fine, but the black sky was more of a
purple, and ruined the effect. Although if they can improve the display,
I'll seriously consider doing a Lynx port of my software. Imagine having a
real-time handheld color video star-atlas for camping trips, star parties,
et al.

Has Rampage been released yet? That was the one I worked on.
                                                      *** mike smithwick ***

"Never trust a surgeon with shaving cuts. . ."
[disclaimer : nope, I don't work for NASA, I take full blame for my ideas]

ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.OZ (Ian Farquhar) (01/18/90)

In article <40597@ames.arc.nasa.gov> mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) writes:
>RJ and I brought up a sample Distant Suns screen on the Lynx about a year
>ago. The sharpness and colors were fine, but the black sky was more of a
>purple, and ruined the effect. Although if they can improve the display,
>I'll seriously consider doing a Lynx port of my software. Imagine having a
>real-time handheld color video star-atlas for camping trips, star parties,
>et al.

I am very impressed with the way Atari is handling the Lynx.  I rang them
up, and they admitted its existance despite the fact that it had not yet
been released here (try getting CBM to do that without getting buried
under non-disclosure agreements!)

They were also quite candid with pricing details, and are going to try
and get me all of the developers info, plus the possibility of a unit
two months before its official release date.

If Atari comes through, then I will almost certainly be doing Lynx
development.  In fact, I will probably develop on the Lynx and port the
the Amiga if the sprite hardware is all it has been reported to be.

So Atari is back at what it does best: games, and I am not saying this in
any derogatory manner.  Atari are the best in the world at this.  The
Japanese haven't got it, and the British never will, but despite a few
hickups along the way, Atari usually does the best.

+-----------------------------------+-------------------------------+
|  Ian Farquhar                     | Phone : (02)  805-7420 (STD)  |
|  Microcomputer Support            |         (612) 805-7420 (ISD)  |
|  Office of Computing Services     | Fax   : (02)  805-7433 (STD)  |
|  Macquarie University  NSW  2109  |         (612) 805-7433 (ISD)  |
|  Australia                        | Also  :       805-7205        |
+-----------------------------------+-------------------------------+

"A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist."
                                       Sir Humphrey Appleby
                                       (Patron Saint of Public Servants)
                                       Yes, Minister.

                                   Yes, Prime Minister.

+-----------------------------------+-------------------------------+

hgm@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Hal G. Meeks) (01/18/90)

In article <103@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mq.oz (Ian Farquhar) writes:
>I am very impressed with the way Atari is handling the Lynx.  I rang them
>up, and they admitted its existance despite the fact that it had not yet
>been released here (try getting CBM to do that without getting buried
>under non-disclosure agreements!)
Well, maybe they were a little more free with the information because they
are available now (read rec.games.video). Even if the machine wasn't
available, Atari has never hesitated in the past to show off "technology
previews". Unfortunately, there have been many (too many some would say)
broken promises along the way. The Stacy? When was that supposed to
available? The Lynx is not in the clear yet; there have been manufacturing
delays centered around a lack of sources for the color LCD panels. They've
already blown it for this past christmas. It is a dandy piece of hardware;
if it appears that it will become widely available I may buy one, even
though I'd previously sworn to never buy another piece of Atari hardware.

>They were also quite candid with pricing details, and are going to try
>and get me all of the developers info, plus the possibility of a unit
>two months before its official release date.
Hunh? "official release date?"

>So Atari is back at what it does best: games, and I am not saying this in
>any derogatory manner.  Atari are the best in the world at this.  The
>Japanese haven't got it, and the British never will, but despite a few
>hickups along the way, Atari usually does the best.

Make a distinction here: There are _two_ Atari companies. There is Atari
Entertainment, which make games (Arcade games), and Atari Computer, which
makes the 2600,7800, ST etc. They are separate entities. The game company
indeed makes some very nice games; from my last experience with Atari the
computer company, the same cannot be currently said.

--hal

--
----------------
hgm@ccvr1.ncsu.edu        "Those that won't innovate, litigate"

ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.OZ (Ian Farquhar) (01/23/90)

In article <1990Jan18.140418.1987@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> hgm@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Hal G. Meeks) writes:
>In article <103@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mq.oz (Ian Farquhar) writes:
>>
>>They were also quite candid with pricing details, and are going to try
>>and get me all of the developers info, plus the possibility of a unit
>>two months before its official release date.

>Hunh? "official release date?"

Have a look at my signature.  The .oz means that I live is Australia.
Atari, CBM etc. all take at least six months to release new hardware
here.

>>So Atari is back at what it does best: games, and I am not saying this in
>>any derogatory manner.  Atari are the best in the world at this.  The
>>Japanese haven't got it, and the British never will, but despite a few
>>hickups along the way, Atari usually does the best.
>>
>Make a distinction here: There are _two_ Atari companies. There is Atari
>Entertainment, which make games (Arcade games), and Atari Computer, which
>makes the 2600,7800, ST etc. They are separate entities. The game company
>indeed makes some very nice games; from my last experience with Atari the
>computer company, the same cannot be currently said.

Yes, I knew that the two companies are seperate.  I am still impressed
by what Atari Computers is doing with the 2600 (4K address space, 128
bytes of RAM, 6507 chip), and it makes me wonder what someone with a
really nice piece of hardware such as the Amiga could do if pushed to
the level of the 2600 programmers.

Atari's Computer's has two main problems: the ST, and the Tramiel.  If
it could sort out both of these, it would be in a much better market
position.

All hail Saint Fubar, parton saint of computer programmers.

|  ACSNet      ifarqhar@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz			    |
|              ifarqhar@mqccsuna.mqcc.mq.oz         		    |