[comp.sys.amiga] The Lynx CPU

In article <759@cs.wmich.edu> dodgson@cs.wmich.edu (Harry Dodgson) writes:
>	I didn't find out what language was supported, but a 4 MHz 65C02
>can compete with an 8 MHz 68000 in execution cycles, so don't sell it short.
>A few 16 MHz coprocessors don't hurt either.  As far as a simulator, the board
>executes all the code, so simulation on the Amiga screen isn't needed.
>
>notice: I got this info direct from the Chicago Atari office - no speculations,
>no rumors, this is what the person told me.

	Wow, someone's finally giving the 65c02 some credit.

	This is a possible correction though. Other people have mentioned
that the Lynx is 16 bit.

	This makes me think that it is run off of a 65c816 (yippee! yeah!
same processor as my Apple IIGS!).

--
If you want info about a 20 meg "floptical" drive mail me. YOU CAN ALSO
GET ONE FOR --$440-- (NEW **LOWER** PRICE!) BY MAILING ME. [WE HAVE TO GET

dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Dru Nelson) (01/17/90)

>	Wow, someone's finally giving the 65c02 some credit.

   You just having been looking hard enough.  A lot of people love this
   chip.

>	This is a possible correction though. Other people have mentioned
>that the Lynx is 16 bit.

   Since you don't have one, you would say this.  Only one person mentioned
   that it is 16 bit.  It is a 6502.  The super famicom is the only I know
   that acts like your gs.

>--
>If you want info about a 20 meg "floptical" drive mail me. YOU CAN ALSO
>GET ONE FOR --$440-- (NEW **LOWER** PRICE!) BY MAILING ME. [WE HAVE TO GET
>ENOUGH PEOPLE THOUGH..Slightly higher for less people but not much]
>unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu    APPLE II FOREVER    APL24VR   GS tips? Mail me.
>unknown%darkside.com@ames.arpa  Please use the former address for regular use.

  You should really use your real name here and cut down on the commercial
  announcements.

--
%% Dru Nelson %% Miami, FL %% Internet:  dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu  %%

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (01/18/90)

In article <7243@lindy.Stanford.EDU> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>>	I didn't find out what language was supported, but a 4 MHz 65C02
>>can compete with an 8 MHz 68000 in execution cycles, so don't sell it short.
>>A few 16 MHz coprocessors don't hurt either.  As far as a simulator, the board
>>executes all the code, so simulation on the Amiga screen isn't needed.

>	Wow, someone's finally giving the 65c02 some credit.

65C02?  That's the fast CMOS 6502, right?  A 6502 with a few new instructions
like zero a register and push x and y, right?  The rest of this article
assumes that this is the same 65C02 I had on an accelerator card in my ][+ a
few years back, and not something like the 65816.

Whimper.

Look, the 6502 has, basically, three general purpose registers,
A, X, and Y.  (It also has a status register, program counter and an
eight-bit stack pointer).  You cannot use register indexing to go more
than 256 bytes past an address.  You cannot do indirect addressing unless
the address you want to indirect through resides in the first 256 bytes
of memory.  The stack is limited to 256 bytes.

A MULTIPLY INSTRUCTION??  PSHAW.  On the 6502 you will do it with eight-bit
registers and single bit shifts.  A 16 X 16->32 bit multiply in 6502 assembler
is *pages.*  (It's ONE instruction on the 68000.)

A 16-bit move from memory to memory is four instructions, to do with indirect
addressing requires something like twelve.

Although the 6502 can execute instructions in fewer clock cycles than most
other cruddy old eight-bit CISC microprocessors, those instructions typically
don't do as much.  From a programming standpoint the architecture is so totally
brain-dead that even an 8080 looks heavenly by comparison.

The scalable sprites and stuff, though, sound really interesting.
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl	"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid."
--			 -- Barney Rubble

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (01/18/90)

karl> A MULTIPLY INSTRUCTION??  PSHAW.  On the 6502 you will do it with eight-bit
karl> registers and single bit shifts.  A 16 X 16->32 bit multiply in 6502 assembler
karl> is *pages.*  (It's ONE instruction on the 68000.)

The Lynx has a hardware multiplier circuit.

					--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.

sdh@flash.bellcore.com (Stephen D Hawley) (01/18/90)

In article <4952@sugar.hackercorp.com> karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>In article <7243@lindy.Stanford.EDU> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>
> [ranting about the 6502 removed]

Yes, it is a small processor.  It is also very old, and designed for other
things than 68000's.  You have recognized this, but went swinging out into
space in your fury.

The main difference between, which I imagine is being exploited, is that the
65C02 is CHEAPER than any 68000 variant, and it is CMOS (remember the Lynx
is a handheld).  4 MHz?  Not too shabby.

Recall that some very impressive things were done on 1 MHz 6502's and 6809's.
This is because the programmer ends up handcrafting the code to a large
extent.  The programmer must take different approaches to problems.

For example, I wrote a program to display "star trek" stars zooming by
in one-point perspective on an Apple ][.  Instead of using division for
perspective calculation, I used a table lookup.  I wrote the same program
on a Macintosh using the exact same techniques to address the frame buffer,
but used division for the perspective calculation (written in a mix of C
and assembly).  Guess what.  The Apple version could display more than twice
as many stars before it was slower than the Mac version, and even with all
the tables it was aboit half the size.  What's wrong with this picture?  The
Apple runs at 1Mhz and the Mac at 8MHz.  You can't blame it on the Mac since
I never touch the operating system -it's the 68000.

Kinda makes you wonder...

Steve "Push the hardware limitations back with your mind" Hawley
sdh@flash.bellcore.com
A noun's a special kind of word.
It's ev'ry name you ever heard.
I find it quite interesting,
A noun's a person place or thing.

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (01/19/90)

In article <19142@bellcore.bellcore.com> sdh@flash.UUCP (Stephen D Hawley) writes:
>You have recognized this, but went swinging out into
>space in your fury.

Hardly fury.

Hey, I could program an 1802 with toggle switches and get it to do something
more or less useful.  That doesn't mean I want to.

I acheived a near maximum guhuri level on the 6502, IIMSSM.  At one point on
the Apple ][+ I had hacked up a two-user Forth environment with a tree-
structured filesystem and multiple assembly tasks running under a realtime
exec, and the code in that exec was damn near optimal.  Oh yeah, I wrote
some massively hacked bit-blit routines, too.  (Yuck, this all keeps coming
back)  a-and my own loop-while-speaker-toggling sound-playing routines that I
tuned up with a strobotuner.

My point is that *I've been there.*

And I'm not going back.

I finally learned the futility of trying to reinvent the wheel without
massive resources.  On the Apple that was more like "invent the wheel,"
'cuz most of that stuff wasn't available.  But on the Amiga, I have all
these guys at Commodore (and elsewhere) writing that stuff for me.

Tree-structured filesystem.  Realtime exec.  Bit-blit routines.

Yep, it's all there, plus groovy stuff like C compilers, sample-playing
hardware, audio.device, serial.device, BitBltMapRastPort or whatever it is,
the blitter, windows, screens, fonts, fish disks, IFF (!) &c &c &c

If you choose to develop for the Lynx, you are choosing to assume some
major burdens, to wit:  small developer community, little "garage"
development (high entry price); you'll be insular (little free code) and poorly
supported.

Good luck, and this is *not* a flame.  It's just that *I* want more of an
environment and ever-higher performance, not less, so I see moving towards
(Indeed I am already there) protected-mode 32-bit systems adhering to
open systems standards (Unix) on the one hand, and realtime multitasking on
an affordable machine, hopefully on the same hand, but if not, as for now,
on the other hand, i.e. the Amiga.

--

chad@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (darknight) (01/20/90)

>In article <foo@blah.blah.com> sdh@flash.UUCP (Stephen D Hawley) writes:

[ Much bragging about his programming accomplishments that have little
or nothing to do with the Lynx machine, and discussion of the Ultimate
Computer Environment deleted]

>Good luck, and this is *not* a flame.  It's just that *I* want more of an
>environment and ever-higher performance, not less, so I see moving towards
>(Indeed I am already there) protected-mode 32-bit systems adhering to
>open systems standards (Unix) on the one hand, and realtime multitasking on
>an affordable machine, hopefully on the same hand, but if not, as for now,
>on the other hand, i.e. the Amiga.

		      PRESS RELEASE  --  1/19/90

	Atari(tm) has just   announced an upgrade  of their   Lynx(tm)
system known as the "Lynx Too"(tm), and the subsequent discontinuation
of the original model Lynx, due to some humbling comments made  by one
Stephen Hawley(tm) on  Usenet.  It seems  that they've determined with
help from Stephen(tm) that people do not really want  a hand held game
machine with lots of Neeto(tm) colors, or lots of Neeto(tm) sounds, or
lots  of  Neeto(tm)  sprites, or lots  of Neeto(tm)  blits, or lots of
Neeto(tm) fun.  Nope, they want a  hand-held game machine  with a Well
Designed     Architecture(tm), Structured  Gameplay(tm), Expert System
Capabilities(tm),   Demand-Paging(tm),     a    Rexx   Port(tm),  Full
Extensibility(tm), a Graphical  User Interface(tm), an Advanced 32-Bit
Bus(tm), and Unix(tm) SysV Rel.4(tm)...

	So Atari(tm) whipped  it  all together and  is   releasing the
"Lynx Too" instead, which has all the above features  that Stephen(tm)
asked for, plus a Neeto(tm) gold finish.

	Upon seeing  it, Stephen(tm) remarked  that it  now fit within
his realm of consideration  as a true Handheld  Video Toy(tm), and was
quoted as saying, "It [shines] like [gold]!"  Atari(tm) said they were
very pleased with Stephen's(tm) suggestions,  and they were  quoted as
saying, "Oh yeah?  Well he [Stephen(tm)] [shines]  like  [gold], too!"

	List price of the "Lynx Too" is slated at $9999.95, but with a
special Trade-In-Your-NeXT(tm)-Get-A-Lynx_Too-For-A-Mere-$3000-Trade-
In-Offer, Atari(tm) clearly has the  student market  in mind for their
new HandHeld Video Toy(tm).

	Atari(tm)  did  note that because  of  the  licensing fees for
Unix(tm) they were unable to  develop any games  for the machine,  but
they don't expect that  will  deter Stephen(tm) from  buying "Whopping
great wodges of 'em".

NEXT  WEEK  -- The  Amiga 3500   takes  over  the Home-Recipe-Database
market  with  it's  N^Googolplex  color   pallete,  N^Googol  bitplane
graphics, and infinite user capability.               Stay Tooned(tm).
INTERNET: chad@ucscb.ucsc.edu	      Chad 'The_Walrus' Netzer->AmigaManiac++

   ------======   "The memory of other cannot be trusted."   ======-------

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) (01/23/90)

in article <4952@sugar.hackercorp.com>, karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) says:

> Although the 6502 can execute instructions in fewer clock cycles than most
> other cruddy old eight-bit CISC microprocessors, those instructions typically
> don't do as much.  From a programming standpoint the architecture is so totally
> brain-dead that even an 8080 looks heavenly by comparison.

That's somewhat debatable, but it doesn't really matter.  The 6502 is the defacto
standard in the video game world.  If you're a games programmer, you know 6502.
Here's the list:

	Atari 2600, etc.; Atari 800, etc.
	Commodore VIC 20, C64, C128
	Apple II/IIe/IIc, etc.
	Nintendo (actually uses a 6502 clone with all the MOS patented things cut out).

So you would think, if you're trying to get games ported to any small, cheap
game machine, a 6502 compatible CPU is probably an awfully good idea.

> -- uunet!sugar!karl	"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid."
--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

chad@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (darknight) (01/23/90)

In article <7380@lindy.Stanford.EDU> chad@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (darknight) writes:

>>In article <foo@blah.blah.com> sdh@flash.UUCP (Stephen D Hawley) writes:
>
>>Good luck, and this is *not* a flame.  It's just that *I* want more of an
>>environment and ever-higher performance, not less, so I see moving towards
>>(Indeed I am already there) protected-mode 32-bit systems adhering to
>>open systems standards (Unix) on the one hand, and realtime multitasking on
>>an affordable machine, hopefully on the same hand, but if not, as for now,
>>on the other hand, i.e. the Amiga.
>
>    [Much brilliantly conceived humour deleted]

	The above attribution is wrong!  It was NOT said by Stephen
Hawley, but by Karl Lehenbauer...  As you can see from the nesting
level, Stephen was responding to Karl (whose name I foolishly erased).
	Hey, it wasn't me, my Nesting-Level-Sensitive-Warning-Glasses
failed to operate...  That's the last time I wear them in the dark!
	But seriously, I apologize to Stephen for this mistake, as
well as the net for making such a basic error...  (I guess this just
proves that it DOES happen to the best of us.  :-)

	Finally, this means that the humor and cynicism in the article
should have been vented on Karl instead of Stephen. (MWUUU-Ha-Ha-Ha
[text version of devious laughter]).  In my previous posting (or in
you head) please change all the "Stephen"'s to "Karl"'s...[ie.
Karl(tm)]

	Flame me by mail, if you must...

INTERNET: chad@ucscb.ucsc.edu	      Chad 'The_Walrus' Netzer->AmigaManiac++

   ------======   "The memory of others cannot be trusted."   ======-------