[comp.sys.amiga] Fonts - interlace, overscan

jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) (01/13/90)

[ Dear Mr. Lineeater, please send me your EMail address.  Thank you. ]

Has anyone out there found a good font for use on a interlaced, overscanned
workbench screen?  I'm currently using topaz 11.  It looks ok, but what are
you using for this case?  (I am new flicker fixer owner.)

                              Thanks,

--

                                        Jim Pritchett

                                        UUCP:  {attctc|texbell}!letni!caleb!jdp

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (01/13/90)

In <5455.AA5455@caleb> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:

-> Has anyone out there found a good font for use on a interlaced, overscanned
-> workbench screen?  I'm currently using topaz 11.  It looks ok, but what are
-> you using for this case?  (I am new flicker fixer owner.)

I use a modified Topaz 11.... I fixed the M's, W's and a few other
things so that it looks tolerable even on a flickery screen. I suppose
that's illegal. Oh well.... people have modified Topaz 8 to death in
the past for things like "ibmfont".....

If you'd like a copy of this, lemme know, OK? I'm about to take the
slashes out of the zeros to make 8's and 0's a little more discrete.
Now if only I could get some other programs to use my font preference
rather than Topaz 8 (I can understand intuition programs being picky,
but a termulator like dnet/fterm?).

If people complain too loudly I'll even make a diff of old version
versus new and post that....
--
Robert Jude Kudla  <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu>

"Famous? I'm not famous. People come up to me after a show and say
    'Hey, Steve!'"
                                -Jon Anderson

rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) (01/15/90)

In article <5455.AA5455@caleb> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:

   >[ Dear Mr. Lineeater, please send me your EMail address.  Thank you. ]
   >
   >Has anyone out there found a good font for use on a interlaced, overscanned
   >workbench screen?  I'm currently using topaz 11.  It looks ok, but what are
   >you using for this case?  (I am new flicker fixer owner.)

Jim,
   I have a Pearl 11 font that I use all the time.  Pearl was distributed
a long time ago; possible on net.micro.amiga(!).   If an 11-point font
was not included then I took the distributed 8-point and made the 11-point
from that.   I believe that, basically, the Pearl font was Topaz stripped of
its serifs.  If you (or anyone else for that matter) are interested in a
copy just drop me a note.

			-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock		o  {uunet,att,rutgers}!mimsy.umd.edu!fe2o3!rusty
Laurel, Maryland	o  "IBM sucks silicon!" -- PC Banana Jr, "Bloom County"

timg@cbmtor.UUCP (Tim Grantham ) (01/15/90)

In article <5455.AA5455@caleb> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:

>Has anyone out there found a good font for use on a interlaced, overscanned

I use amber.font, a nice sans serif font designed by John Faichney precisely
for interlaced screens. I'll mail copies to whoever wants it.

Tim.

)

pselver@ssi3b1.zone1.com (Peter Selverstone) (01/15/90)

In article <5455.AA5455@caleb> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:

>Has anyone out there found a good font for use on a interlaced, overscanned
>workbench screen?  I'm currently using topaz 11.  It looks ok, but what are
>you using for this case?  (I am new flicker fixer owner.)

One of the gems in Charlie Heath's TxEd Plus package is a font named Siesta.
It is very popular among flicker fixer users particularly when the wb
background color is white.  The command:   ff -1 siesta.font
will replace topaz 8, 9 and 11.
--
Peter Selverstone ...{mit-eddie,pyramid,datacube}!mirror!ssi3b1!pselver
Spy Pond Systems  pselver@ssi3b1.zone1.com

In <1990Jan15.061931.23840@ssi3b1.zone1.com>, pselver@ssi3b1.zone1.com (Peter Selverstone) writes:
>In article <5455.AA5455@caleb> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:
>>
>>Has anyone out there found a good font for use on a interlaced, overscanned
>>workbench screen?  I'm currently using topaz 11.  It looks ok, but what are
>>you using for this case?  (I am new flicker fixer owner.)
>>
>One of the gems in Charlie Heath's TxEd Plus package is a font named Siesta.
>It is very popular among flicker fixer users particularly when the wb
>background color is white.  The command:   ff -1 siesta.font
>will replace topaz 8, 9 and 11.

I likeSiiesta too, except for the lower case 'k', which look like an almost
uppercase character.

-larry

--
"Cavett Emptor - Let the talk show host beware!" - Evan Marcus

wicks@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Mr. Tony Wicks ) (01/18/90)

In article <5455.AA5455@caleb> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:

>Has anyone out there found a good font for use on a interlaced, overscanned
>workbench screen?  I'm currently using topaz 11.  It looks ok, but what are
>you using for this case?  (I am new flicker fixer owner.)
> Jim Pritchett
> UUCP: {attctc|texbell}!letni!caleb!jdp

When I use an interlaced workbench I use Courier/15. This may not be the
best choice for everyone, but I like it.  I actually prefer the look of
Helvetica/15 but you can't use that because it's proportional.  Maybe one of
the really cool people will write a proportional font CLI with an on the fly
tab setting feature.

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (01/21/90)

>In article <5455.AA5455@caleb> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:
>
>Has anyone out there found a good font for use on a interlaced, overscanned
>workbench screen?  I'm currently using topaz 11.  It looks ok, but what are
>you using for this case?  (I am new flicker fixer owner.)

I have been using f80 which was released with Meshugena.  Devine Corzine
may have been the one who created f80, he wrote Meshugena.  f80 cuts off
all of the little serifs in Topaz. The only character I really don't like
is the pipe character, |.  It looks exactly like l|, see what I mean.
Ha! Of course you can't... You're not using this font! HaHa HaHa.

(slightly maniacal organ music seeps from the back of the monitor as I
laugh some more.)

--
 Bill Murphy                          murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu
Enjoying my Amiga 2000, but holding out for a real computer: The Amiga 3000!!

jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (01/23/90)

  The best font I've seen on an interlaced Amiga was on an Amiga
running X. I think it was a 12 point courier font. Does anyone
know if there is a tool out there to convert X fonts to Amiga fonts?
Any 12 point fixed-width X font should look quite nice on a de-interlaced
Amiga.

  Jim

kxs5829@ultb.isc.rit.edu (K.X. Saunders) (01/23/90)

In article <3011@pur-phy> murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (William J. Murphy) writes:

>I have been using f80 which was released with Meshugena.  Devine Corzine
>may have been the one who created f80, he wrote Meshugena.  f80 cuts off

	Unless Devine also wrote a terminal program with the name
Meshugena, which has a couple of fonts f80 and f132, you are wrong.
Meshugena was written by Michael Leibow, who graduted from RIT last
year.  I know, I did some beta testing for him.

>--
> Bill Murphy                          murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu
>Enjoying my Amiga 2000, but holding out for a real computer: The Amiga 3000!!

|    // Only /\          kxs5829@ultb.isc.rit.edu                             |
|\\ //      /--\MIGA     kyle@ritcsh.cs.rit.edu                               |
| \X/                    Rochester Institute of Technology                    |

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (01/23/90)

In article <1989@ultb.isc.rit.edu> kxs5829@ultb.isc.rit.edu (K.X. Saunders ) writes:
>In article <3011@pur-phy> murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (William J. Murphy) writes:
>>
>>I have been using f80 which was released with Meshugena.  Devine Corzine
>>may have been the one who created f80, he wrote Meshugena.  f80 cuts off
>
>	Unless Devine also wrote a terminal program with the name
>Meshugena, which has a couple of fonts f80 and f132, you are wrong.
>Meshugena was written by Michael Leibow, who graduted from RIT last
>year.  I know, I did some beta testing for him.

#include <blushmode.h>
I'm sorry, I confused the person who made a big deal over using Meshugena
with the person who actually wrote the piece of software.  Since K.X.
Saunders was a beta tester for Mr. Leibow, I yield to him.  Devine was
not the author, just the one who evangelized the program.