[comp.sys.amiga] Go ahead, make my day

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (01/23/90)

In article <5385@tekig5.pen.tek.com>, wayneck@tekig5.pen.tek.com (Wayne Knapp)
writes:
>I feel that future of small computers is really bright.  If the Amiga goes
>down the tubes (Which I think is happening) it is no big deal since multi-
>media is here to stay and other computer will quicky take the Amiga's place.
>
>                                      Wayne Knapp

And for those of us who can't afford to buy a new computer every 3-5 years,
I guess we'll just be oughta luck, right?  But we should have thought of that
when we bought Commodore stuff, right?  Sheesh!

Do you really believe what you said?  Surely anything is possible, and the
Amiga *could* fade away in the next year, but I don't think it is *probable*
considering all the upcoming and current developments (Amix, 2500/30, 3000,
XWindows/networking/multi-serial boards, frame buffers and video cards, etc)
related specifically to enhancing the Amiga's usefulness and increasing the
size of the audience to which it can be successfully marketted.

Progress in small computers is good, but I hope that doesn't mean the Amiga
development must die in the next year or two.  (Someday it *will* die, I agree,
but the above statement makes it sound like tomorrow is D-Day.)

 /  Baird McIntosh (2nd yr CS/Math major, University of Missouri-Columbia)
<--   c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet
   "Every multitasking system needs a talking clock..." -- Andy Finkel

wayneck@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne C Knapp) (01/24/90)

In article <8904@nigel.udel.EDU>, C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:
> >I feel that future of small computers is really bright.  If the Amiga goes
> >down the tubes (Which I think is happening) it is no big deal since multi-
> >media is here to stay and other computer will quicky take the Amiga's place.
>
> And for those of us who can't afford to buy a new computer every 3-5 years,
> I guess we'll just be oughta luck, right?  But we should have thought of that
> when we bought Commodore stuff, right?  Sheesh!

There are a lot of examples of this, two are CP/M machines and the Atari 800
machines.  I don't know of one computer that looks great after it is 3 to
5 years old.  The Amiga has done a lot better than most.  Even if Commodore
were to stop making Amigas there would still be a lot of Amiga activity in
the following years, so you wouldn't have to just throw away your Amiga!
However I feel that the basic Amiga has gone about as far as it can without
some real enhancements.  I waiting to see what is going to happen.  Maybe
the Amiga 500 could really take off if it gets cheaper and go like wild
like the C64 did - but I'm not sure I want to stay on an Amiga 500 type
of machine.  I been working with Sun Sparcs at work and also have a 386
machine at home and I really enjoy the power of these machines.  Yes the
B2000 with a A2630 is very powerful, but a complete system costs something
like $5000, that isn't cheap.  A equally powerful pc clone runs only around
$3000, at least for the things that I'm interested in --- which is rendering.

> Do you really believe what you said?  Surely anything is possible, and the
> Amiga *could* fade away in the next year, but I don't think it is *probable*
> considering all the upcoming and current developments (Amix, 2500/30, 3000,
> XWindows/networking/multi-serial boards, frame buffers and video cards, etc)
> related specifically to enhancing the Amiga's usefulness and increasing the
> size of the audience to which it can be successfully marketted.

I'm waiting to see what the Amiga 3000 will be.  If it is fast enough, cheap
enough ( < $3500) and has much better graphics cabilities then I'll change
my mind about the Amiga's future!  So I may have to eat my words, after all
Commodore sometimes hits that magic winning combination.

> Progress in small computers is good, but I hope that doesn't mean the Amiga
> development must die in the next year or two. (Someday it *will* die, I agree,
> but the above statement makes it sound like tomorrow is D-Day.)

I didn't say it must die!  I didn't say I want it to die.  I said it looks
like it is not doing well and I don't see how things can improve.  I said
that if the Amiga does fade away it's impact won't and there will be plenty
of choices in the future.  I was trying to point out that the computers I
saw in Japan, while based on PC clones were very exciting!  I saying that
if Commodore doesn't get its act together I'll go with the flow and not
worry about the past.

                                           Wayne Knapp