[comp.sys.amiga] SetCPU on a vanilla 2000

toddal@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd Allendorf) (01/20/90)

I recently received an older game program as a gift.  It says on the box
1.2 Kickstart recommended.  I have tried to run this game on my amiga to no
avail.  It either gurus or lock-ups or permanently locks up the computer.
It runs just fine on a friend of mine's system.  The only difference between
our two systems is that I have 1.3 ROMs instead of 1.2.
I want to use SetCPU to reboot the computer with a 1.2 Kickstart disk.  The docs
for SetCPU 1.5 say you can do this, but when I issue
>setcpu kickrom df0: config 0
it just prints
System: 68000
Anybody else had any luck with SetCPU on a plain 2000? Any reason why this
shouldn't work? Dave?

					-Todd Allendorf
                                         toddal@tybalt.caltech.edu

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (01/21/90)

In article <13462@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> toddal@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd Allendorf) writes:
>I want to use SetCPU to reboot the computer with a 1.2 Kickstart disk...
>when I issue "setcpu kickrom df0: config 0" it just prints:
>System: 68000
>Any reason why this shouldn't work?
     You need an MMU-equipped Amiga for SetCPU to transfer KickRAM; a 68020
or 68030 equipped Amiga 2000/2500/whatever will have one, because it's built
into the processor. A plain-vanella 2000 doesn't have one, so KickRAM can't
work.
     Excuse any mistakes in details, I don't have one either...
                                                        - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti, Editor, LOW ORBIT | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | CIS 72406,370 |
| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | PLink: Skywise | QLink: Bearclaw |

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (01/21/90)

Allendorf) writes:

>it just prints  System: 68000
>Anybody else had any luck with SetCPU on a plain 2000? Any reason why this
>shouldn't work? Dave?

You may use the FASTROM feature onlu with MMU (memory management unit) equipped
Amigas. That is well documented ib the setcpu files.

Valentin

in article <13462@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, toddal@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd Allendorf) says:

> Anybody else had any luck with SetCPU on a plain 2000? Any reason why this
> shouldn't work? Dave?

As mentioned several times before, and in the SetCPU docs as well, loading
alternate KickStarts with SetCPU requires an MMU.  A plain 68000 system
doesn't have an MMU, so it can't load an alternate KickStart with SetCPU.
That's simply all there is to it.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough