[comp.sys.amiga] C-Ltd

spencer@well.UUCP (Randal Spencer) (11/15/86)

I tried to post this to the net a while back but the Well ate it so here
it is again:

On Sept 11 in net.micro.amiga Rich Rodgers (richr@pogo.UUCP) wrote:

>My company is currently working on exactly what you are asking for to be
>manufactured by C Ltd. (formerly CardCo).  What it is is a SCSI card that
>attaches to the side of the Amiga (AND PASSES THE BUS!!!), a SCSI
>controller - hard disk - power-supply combination all for the retail of
>$995.  As with all C Ltd. products you will only be able to buy it from
>your local dealer.  It should be available in quantity in 6 to 8 weeks.  If
>pressured the folks at C Ltd. will probably offer the SCSI board alone for a
>semi-reasonable cost.  The board will also be available in a ZORRO board
>version to be shipped shortly after the C Ltd. Expansion Box ships.
>
>Once again...
>
>Richard N. Rodgers
>Creative Microsystems Inc.

Is Rich still out there?  Is there any news? It has been 6 weeks as of
last Thursday and is coming quickly up on 8 weeks.
Just dying for a hard disk.

Randy Spencer

ps...

Anybody want to know why the Amiga isn't selling up to it's potential?
Anybody think that it might have anything to do with all the mis-under-
standing the general public has about the machine?  Anybody wonder where
it comes from?  Anybody looked at the "What if the Mac had color?" article
in Mac World?  Notice where it says to use hi-res on the Amiga you have to
go to Black&White.  Says you have to also get a different screen...
Sounds like somebody is refering to the ATARI, no?

Now, isn't Mac World and Amiga World put out by the same people?  Hmm...
The guy who wrote the article is _Chairman_ of Mac World, whatever
that means.  (boy, I tell you!)

Unemployeed (and broke) Dec/Amiga consultant

==================================
soon to get a cute .signature file
==================================

Since then I have heard that my dealer is going to get them in in a couple
of weeks.  Anyone know how they are turning out?  My dealer is charging
$995.  Is that a good price?

I had a .signature file all written up and I left it at home, I will
bring it next time, I promise!

page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) (11/18/86)

Warning: this article is about 75 lines long without headers and
the signature.  Some of the information may be useful, however.

spencer@well.UUCP (Randal Spencer) wrote in article <2043@well.UUCP>:
>I tried to post this to the net a while back but the Well ate it so here

Hmmm.  I got both here at ulo-well, on the other coast.

>On Sept 11 in net.micro.amiga Rich Rodgers (richr@pogo.UUCP) wrote:

>>SCSI controller - hard disk - power-supply combination all for the retail of
>>$995.  As with all C Ltd. products you will only be able to buy it from
>>your local dealer.

I ordered mine last week directly from C Ltd - they have a special deal
for developers, I think it was about $750 for 7-port SCSI, power supply
and 20 MB hard drive.  I say `I think' because I just told them to put it
on my plastic, you know what I mean?  They said it would ship Dec 1.
That's also the same time that Byte-by-Byte's PALjr ($1500 list,
has 1MB RAM and 20 MB DMA hard disk, no clock, doesn't pass the bus,
no expansion ports) will ship.  I already have the CardCo/CLtd aMEGA
one MB board, so I had to get the <$20 pass-through connector for it.

>>If pressured the folks at C Ltd. will probably offer the SCSI board
>>alone for a semi-reasonable cost.

It is available alone - I think it's 295 retail, but don't quote me or
flame CLtd if I'm wrong.  They have developer's discounts on that, too,
so you can buy one and hook up your own 600MB SCSI disk :-)

The only problem with all this, I am afraid, is that AmigaDOG can't
keep up with the disk/interface transfer rate.  I saw a 10 MB SCSI
drive (Xebec ?  Something like that) last weekend at the MARCA show
and it looked really sluggish.  It also had a bug someplace - the
DIR command (and LIST too) would loop on a particular entry - I
guess the file pointer was pointing back on itself.  Dave Haynie,
how about a DISKSALV for hard disks - maybe using stiffies for
intermediate file storage?  Just a thought.  DISKED makes me
shudder, as does DISKDOCTOR.  I'd rather mung a copy, if you
know what I mean.  Of course you do.

Sigh.  I've resigned myself to a slow hard disk (because of the
SOFTWARE - I won't even repeat what the author of AmigaDOS was
saying at the Developer's Conference), but at least I won't have
to be constantly changing stiffies (tan, blue or otherwise).

Anybody know of a cheap SCSI tape so I can back up the sucker?
AmigaDOS 1.2 now supports archiving/backup with a special bit
in the directory entry, so I suppose you can expect to see
incremental backup programs soon.

-- warning.  here we digress from technical talk.

>Anybody want to know why the Amiga isn't selling up to its potential?
>Anybody think that it might have anything to do with all the mis-under-
>standing the general public has about the machine?

In my opinion, the Amiga Kernel is too sophisticated for micro
programmers to tackle.  It takes mini hackers (no, not munchkins)
to understand terms like 'message passing.'  Sad but true.  The
world will catch up to the Amiga, but not for a while.  Maybe
Mess-dos version 5 or something.  Maybe by then the Amiga will
have a better DOS (I don't mean kernel) as well.

Look for a large (hopefully well-targeted) ad campaign from CBM
real-soon-now.  My guess is that they waited for both clearance
from the banks and the Sidecar & genlock products to ship.  And
now that 1.2 is Officially Here, what else could hold them back?

>Now, isn't Mac World and Amiga World put out by the same people?  Hmm...

Last year MacWorld was predicting a Horrible Death for the Amiga.
I don't see Amiga magazines concerning themselves with the Mac.
But variety is the spice of life, eh?

..Bob
--
Bob Page,  U of Lowell CS Dept.      ulowell!page,  page@ulowell.CSNET

farren@hoptoad.uucp (Mike Farren) (11/18/86)

In article <758@ulowell.UUCP> page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) writes:
>The only problem with all this, I am afraid, is that AmigaDOG can't
>keep up with the disk/interface transfer rate.  I saw a 10 MB SCSI
>drive (Xebec ?  Something like that) last weekend at the MARCA show
>and it looked really sluggish.

Did it have an effective DMA circuit?  Non-DMA disks will be sluggish,
can't help themselves.  I don't see any reason why the 'miga can't keep
up with the fairly slow data rates SCSI uses...

--
----------------
                 "... if the church put in half the time on covetousness

wagner@utcs.UUCP (11/19/86)

Bob  Page suggested, in his article, that Amiga software would prevent a
DMA hard disk from performing well.  I don't understand this.  Did I mis-interpret
his statement?  Or can someone fill me in on this?

Michael Wagner (wagner@utcs)

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (11/21/86)

In article <1986Nov19.104846.321@utcs.uucp>, wagner@utcs.uucp (Michael Wagner) writes:
> Bob  Page suggested, in his article, that Amiga software would prevent a
> DMA hard disk from performing well.  I don't understand this.  Did I mis-interpret
> his statement?  Or can someone fill me in on this?

The jist of what Bob Page said  (that DMA and Non-DMA disk controllers will
perform at roughly the  same speed)  is correct.  The speed at which a disk
controller can squirt a block to/from the amiga is not the bottleneck.

Witness brand X whose controller  is  capable  of squirts to/from the Amiga
at 300KB/sec (DMA). Compare  this  with  brand  Y whose controller does not
transfer via DMA  and  is  capable of only 100KB peak xfer rate. Which will
run faster? Who knows...it depends on disk layout.

Why? Because the throughput through  the AmigaDOS file system is low enough
that neither controller will  run  at full speed (ie brand X will never get
to really take advantage of the 300KB/sec  since disk i/o time is dominated
by seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeking).

You may say: But this happens on many systems. You'd be right too. But most
other file system formats do not get  as  scattered  as AmigaDOS can become
after similar interactive useage.

What about super high performance controllers then?

Those wanting to design THE  high performance disk controller for the amiga
will have to look elsewhere for their performance boosts. We (ASDG) are.

Perry

-----------
The above reflects my personal opinion and is the result of my own invest-
igations.

wagner@utcs.UUCP (11/22/86)

Perry:
Can you comment on whether the performance problems would be helped by
disk architectures with larger cylinders (i.e. more data under the
heads before a seek).

Another thought:  how much will 1.2 caching help?  How about Matt's
idea of caching all blocks in a track, i.e. if you invested the time
to read them in, put them into the cache.

Michael

dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (11/23/86)

I beg to disagree.

DMA offloads the work from the CPU. Thus, disk transfers do not slow down
the computer in general (i.e. other processes doing other things)

When using DMA, you generally do not have disable interrupts or get into nasty
timing problems.  I have no desire to lose characters on the serial port
due to some idiot's idea of a hard-drive interface.

Lastly, the transfer time IS dependant on the disk->computer transfer rate.
Even assuming it must do a lot of tracking, there is still always that
transfer time when the data is finally ready to be sent.  IBM HD's are MUCH
faster than Amiga HD's simply because they are DMA.  Besides, executables
are usually contiguous (if not, you can MAKE them contiguous).  I would
rather have LC1/LC2 load in 4 seconds than 8.. or less.

Personally, I'm not going to even look at the HD market for the Amiga until
some good DMA drives (or SCSI controllers) come out.

				-Matt Dillon

GPOTTS@oregon.uoregon.edu (Geoffrey Potts) (01/12/90)

In the Feb. 1990 issue of AmigaWorld, at the back, they have a fine-print
listing of companies that they recommend you not do business with. I do not
know how they make this judgement (perhaps advertizing bills not paid?), but
they state that C-Ltd is no longer a viable company.

gpotts@oregon.uoregon.edu

In article <13958@oregon.uoregon.edu> GPOTTS@oregon.uoregon.edu (Geoffrey Potts) writes:
|In the Feb. 1990 issue of AmigaWorld, at the back, they have a fine-print
|listing of companies that they recommend you not do business with. I do not
|know how they make this judgement (perhaps advertizing bills not paid?), but
				             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>they state that C-Ltd is no longer a viable company.

It is usually two things: unpaid ads (as you mention) and complaints from
customers that responded to ads or What's New announcements.  I am not
speking for AmigaWorld. Just referring what is standard practice.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

In <13958@oregon.uoregon.edu>, GPOTTS@oregon.uoregon.edu (Geoffrey Potts) writes:
>In the Feb. 1990 issue of AmigaWorld, at the back, they have a fine-print
>listing of companies that they recommend you not do business with. I do not
>know how they make this judgement (perhaps advertizing bills not paid?), but
>they state that C-Ltd is no longer a viable company.

C Ltd., in my opinion, was not a good company to do business with even when
they were CardCo, producing half-baked peripherals for the C64. They were not a
good company to do business with when they were C Ltd., producing half-baked
peripherals for the Amiga. They were not a good company to do business with
when they became 'Linden Labs doing business as C Ltd.', though by that time
they had come out with a fairly decent, if unsupported (by them), non-DMA
HD controller. They are most certainly not a good company to do business with
now that they have gone belly-up.

Never fear though.. C Ltd. will be back, under some other name, spreading
misinformation about any peripherals that they don't happen to make, and
burning a lot of folks once more. It just remains to be seen what name of the
bad penny is when it shows up again. Ptui!

Disclaimer: The above is my considered opinion only, based upon the shoddy
treatment received by several friends by said companies.

-larry

--
"Cavett Emptor - Let the talk show host beware!" - Evan Marcus

In <90014.125436JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET>, JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET (JKT) writes:
>In article <1007@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca>, lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry
>Phillips) says:
>>C Ltd., in my opinion, was not a good company to do business with even
>>when they were CardCo, producing half-baked peripherals for the C64.
>>They were not a good company to do business with when they were C Ltd.,
>>producing half-baked peripherals for the Amiga.
>
>I, for one, was very satisfied with CardCo products - They were well
>designed, nicely priced, and had long lifetimes.  Does this sound like
>a company that still exists now?  Yes:  SUPRA.  Cardco was bought out
>by Supra, not C. Ltd.  I purchased CardCo products, was satified
>(my CardCo printer interface for my 64 is still working), and I will
>buy Supra prodcuts in the future.

Perhaps Supra bought the assets of CardCo when they went under. I can assure
you that the principal mover in C Ltd. came out of the ashes of CardCo and
started C Ltd. I have the utmost respect for Supra. I have zero respect for the
person who treated every customer like yet another sucker, when he was CardCo,
C Ltd. and Linden Labs doing business as C Ltd. Supra supports their customers;
from my personal experience and that of close friends, CardCo, C Ltd, and
Linden Labs dba C Ltd. did not. Perhaps 'half-baked' was too strong a term for
cardCo products. They were more like 'nearly there', and trying to penetrate
the wall of technical doubletalk bullshit with CardCo was an excercise in
futility. I ended up peddling off the CardCo interface to someone who didn't
need to have it work as advertised.

I stand by what I said about C Ltd. and their half-baked products. Disk
enclosures without fans that caused extreme overheating; the same enclosures
with fans, said fans being mounted on a piece of aluminum hacked to shape with
a pair of tinsnips and hot-melt-glued in place; plastic drill shavings all over
the inside of the enclosure; a power supply that was almost adequate for the
job, placed where it could block the most airflow with its non-component side.
Sickening.

This is not to mention their promises broken, and outright lies proferred when
asked about ship dates missed by weeks and months; the promise that an OMTI
controller 'definitely worked', only to be finally forced to admit that "well,
we are working on it", after months of time, trouble, and expense trying to
figure out the problem; their constant technobabble about the inherent
superiority of programmed I/O over DMA, latching onto a single bug in one other
manufacturer's controller to 'prove' their point; their promise to ship a
'TimeSaver' to anyone who could come up with the solution to a problem, said
solution being forthcoming, used by them, but with no appearance of the
TimeSaver to the person supplying the solution.

That's just their customers. They also were instrumental in the demise of
SoftCircuits, having paid a programmer to steal work already done by the
programmer, and owned by SoftCircuits, then refusing to pay SoftCircuits for
the work. Interestingly, they didn't bother to pay the programmer either, and
he is trying to sue them.

Another friend of mine said it very well. He works for a company that bought
quite a few C Ltd. products. He said that though they are now left with a
number of orphaned cards, the strongest emotion they can muster at the demise
of C Ltd. is one of relief.

Before I step down off my soapbox, let me say again that I have the utmost
respect for Supra, and in no way wish to malign them or their products, of
which I own at least one.

-larry

--
"Cavett Emptor - Let the talk show host beware!" - Evan Marcus

JKT100@PSUVM.BITNET (JKT) (01/15/90)

In article <1007@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca>, lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry
Phillips) says:
>C Ltd., in my opinion, was not a good company to do business with even
>when they were CardCo, producing half-baked peripherals for the C64.
>They were not a good company to do business with when they were C Ltd.,
>producing half-baked peripherals for the Amiga.

I, for one, was very satisfied with CardCo products - They were well
designed, nicely priced, and had long lifetimes.  Does this sound like
a company that still exists now?  Yes:  SUPRA.  Cardco was bought out
by Supra, not C. Ltd.  I purchased CardCo products, was satified
(my CardCo printer interface for my 64 is still working), and I will
buy Supra prodcuts in the future.
                                                             Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (814) 862-8630 ||  "This town needs an enema."        ||
|| 600 E. Pollock Rd., #5705   ||                        - Joker      ||
|| State College, PA 16801     ||                                     ||
||   jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  or    --------------------------------------||
||      jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  or  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         ||

scott@wilbur.uucp (Scott Beckstead) (01/15/90)

In article <1007@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> Larry Phillips writes:

>Never fear though.. C Ltd. will be back, under some other name, spreading
>misinformation about any peripherals that they don't happen to make, and
>burning a lot of folks once more. It just remains to be seen what name of the
>bad penny is when it shows up again. Ptui!
>
>Disclaimer: The above is my considered opinion only, based upon the shoddy
>treatment received by several friends by said companies.
>
>-larry
>
>--
>"Cavett Emptor - Let the talk show host beware!" - Evan Marcus
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
>|   //   Larry Phillips                                                 |
>| \X/    lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca -or- uunet!van-bc!lpami!lphillips |
>|        COMPUSERVE: 76703,4322  -or-  76703.4322@compuserve.com        |
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

Well I never had a problem either with them or their support.  I have had
the scsi disk controller for about 2 years now and am reasonably pleased
with it's performance.  However I never did get a complete manual.  The
one I got is on a disk which developed a read error in the middle of
the document and have never asked for or received a new one.  OOPS

I am running on scsidos 2.6 or so and I was wondering if someone could
be kind enough to send me 3.0 and a manual file for it?  I had printed
docs for the old one but they have been lost.  It's a good thing I didn't
send them the 20 dollars for 3.0 i guess.  (I just learned about that from
a corrupted archive of 3.0 that was on a local BBS ).   Any help would be
appreciated as the archive on even their BBS was corrupted.
Scott

In <25b1650a:3886.1comp.sys.amiga;1@tronsbox.UUCP>, tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:

> [ a lot of happy storires about C Ltd. deleted ...]

Yes, I'll save the bandwidth by not sending you the gory details of the horror
stories. What I find fascinating is that I have had this same discussion with a
couple of other folks.  At the time of the discussion, they were pleased with C
Ltd.  products and service, and knew of nobody in their area who was displeased
with it, while folks around here were still being treated like suckers at a
shell game.

Go figure.

-larry

--
"Cavett Emptor - Let the talk show host beware!" - Evan Marcus

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (01/15/90)

writes:
>C Ltd., in my opinion, was not a good company to do business with even when
>they were CardCo, producing half-baked peripherals for the C64. They were not

   Well, I suppose that depends on what you mean. I ran a computer store in
a local mall and sold lotsa Cardco stuff. It wasnt GREAT , but it was
inexepensive and did it's job to the customers satisfaction.

>when they became 'Linden Labs doing business as C Ltd.', though by that time
>they had come out with a fairly decent, if unsupported (by them), non-DMA
>HD controller. They are most certainly not a good company to do business with
>now that they have gone belly-up.

I had a C.ltd one meg interface for a year a while back (I sold it to buy a
2 meg) .. and never had a prblem.

I have been running (for 3 years solid) a origional form of the 20 meg C.Ltd
hard drive. In all that time, the interface and software were rock solid.
The system autoconfigured when such was available, ran FFS without a hitch
and never complained.  THIS is more than I can say about some HD companies
that will be nameless.

I have been running a C.ltd Timesaver keyboard enhancer (the only one of its
type in more than limited use in the world was produced by C.ltd for tha
Amiga).   THIS is another peice of hardware that has ALWAYS done what it was
supposed to , was well priced and a fantastic addition to my Amiga.  The one
time it did go belly up on me (1.5 YEARS out of warrenty) The sent me a new
one , UPS RED , FREE, before they received MINE!

I run the C.ltd 10 MEG removable system. I had this baby more than a YEAR
before the one from Supra came out .. (it is funny that the Supra drive got
acclaim from the media, but the EARLIER, FASTER and more reliable C.Ltd
product was never mentioned).... This has also NEVER given me a problem.
When I got it , they upgraded the SCSI controlled I was running to the new
design FREE.  (there is nothing like saying "copy dh0: to kt1: all" as your
backup!)

  To the point , ever C.ltd device I have purchased did what it said it
would , over long periods of time. The software was "standard" (mountlist
and autoconfig) before many other folks and the service was SUPERIOR.

>misinformation about any peripherals that they don't happen to make, and
>burning a lot of folks once more. It just remains to be seen what name of the
>bad penny is when it shows up again. Ptui!

Hmm.. that doesnt sound like the C.ltd >I< knew .. , actually , it sounds
like A.*.D.G .. (I have listened to many a "we are the only ones who know
what we are doing" speech.) ( and in fact at one computer show saw a A.*.D.G
rep PHYSICALLY put his coat on a competitors products to hide them).

>Disclaimer: The above is my considered opinion only, based upon the shoddy
>treatment received by several friends by said companies.

Ditto for mine (previous paragraph.)

DISCLAIMER: My opinion is skewed by the fact that I have sold DOZENS of
C.ltd products to customers over 3 years and never had ONE person complain.

BTW: I have defended them because they were attacked, I said my peice. Dont
send me your horror stories and I wont send you my happy ones and we'll save
a LOT of bandwidth.

(Beside, I am one of those people that have never had a Seagate drive go
belly up either and most say that makes me charmed so I wont beleive you)

Everything I say is (c) Copr.  1990, except the stuff I stole from someone el
se and the stuff I don't want responsibility for.

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568
*

In <2974@netxcom.DHL.COM>, ewiles@netxdev.DHL.COM (Edwin Wiles) writes:
>Larry,
>	I'm somewhat bemused by your attitude towards C-Ltd, and your
>	apparent praise for Supra.  I've owned a C-Ltd SCSI interface
>	and 50Mb HD for quite some time now.  Not only did the case
>	look professionally done, but it has NEVER given me the
>	slightest bit of trouble!

As I have mentioned, my opinions about C Ltd. and Supra are the direct result
of my experiences with them, of the experiences related to me by friends, and
of having seen the garbage innards of one of their drives. The experiences of
others notwithstanding, I stand by my statements, including the one that says
that there are others who got good products ande service from them.

--
"Cavett Emptor - Let the talk show host beware!" - Evan Marcus

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (01/16/90)

:
:Perhaps Supra bought the assets of CardCo when they went under. I can assure
:you that the principal mover in C Ltd. came out of the ashes of CardCo and
:started C Ltd.

	That's exactly what happened. When Cardco went under, Ed took all the
Amiga products (at that time just the aMEGA and SCSI interface) with him to
form C-Ltd. The older C=64 stuff went on the block and were eventually picked
up by Supra.

: [Lot's of stuff pertaining to C-Ltd. troubles]

	One of the big problems that kicked up there was when they switched
from having CMI do teir software/hardware to having SoftCircuits do it all.
There was a fairly long period of time where they *had* to say `We're working
on it', with not much chance of seeing results for months... They eventually
fixed that when all the re-writing was done.

:That's just their customers. They also were instrumental in the demise of
:SoftCircuits, having paid a programmer to steal work already done by the
:programmer, and owned by SoftCircuits, then refusing to pay SoftCircuits for
:the work. Interestingly, they didn't bother to pay the programmer either, and
:he is trying to sue them.

	At least CMI eventually won a judgement against them (for the tune
of about $50K, I think)... Too bad C-Ltd. went bankrupt just as their time
to pay that off was up... :-) Now the exCMI people will never see any of it.
		Bill

:-larry
:
:--
:"Cavett Emptor - Let the talk show host beware!" - Evan Marcus
:+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
:|   //   Larry Phillips                                                 |
:| \X/    lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca -or- uunet!van-bc!lpami!lphillips |
:|        COMPUSERVE: 76703,4322  -or-  76703.4322@compuserve.com        |
:+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes

ewiles@netxdev.DHL.COM (Edwin Wiles) (01/17/90)

Larry,
	I'm somewhat bemused by your attitude towards C-Ltd, and your
	apparent praise for Supra.  I've owned a C-Ltd SCSI interface
	and 50Mb HD for quite some time now.  Not only did the case
	look professionally done, but it has NEVER given me the
	slightest bit of trouble!

	Contrast that with the number of "Help me I bought a Supra"
	messages that you see regularly in this newsgroup.

	Who's got the better product?  Don't tell me Supra!  Not after
	seeing all those messages!  When I got my C-Ltd drive and
	interface I literally plugged it all together and it worked!

	Now how many Supra's do you know of that they managed to do that with?
	"Who?... Me?... WHAT opinions?!?"	| Edwin Wiles
    Schedule: (n.) An ever changing nightmare.	| NetExpress, Inc.
  ...!{hadron,sundc,pyrdc,uunet}!netxcom!ewiles	| 1953 Gallows Rd. Suite 300
       ewiles@iad-nxe.global-mis.DHL.COM	| Vienna, VA 22182

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (01/17/90)

In article <25b1650a:3886.1comp.sys.amiga;1@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:
>Hmm.. that doesnt sound like the C.ltd >I< knew .. , actually , it sounds
>like A.*.D.G .. (I have listened to many a "we are the only ones who know
>what we are doing" speech.) ( and in fact at one computer show saw a A.*.D.G
>rep PHYSICALLY put his coat on a competitors products to hide them).

Hey Bud. Get your quotes right. We never say ``we are the only ones who know
what we are doing.'' In fact, we don't even say ``we are one of the few groups
that know what they're doing.'' What we do say is: ``We know what we're doing.''

If asked a specific question about a specific product from another manufacturer,
and if we know the answer, we answer.

What you don't know is that several Amiga market hardware
manufacturers have sent their hardware to us for us to tell them what's wrong
with their products. When we say such-and-such has a specific problem, it's
because we know it has the problem we say it has and have fully detailed the
problem's nature to the manufacturer.

Also, which show exactly did you see this cover up occur at? Who was the
rep. What was his name. What coat size did he have? What was the ambient
air temperature at the time and was the fellow warm? (In other words:
what a useless non-constructive comment you have there madam.)
--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (01/17/90)

I agree with Larry... Boy could I tell you all a story concerning Cltd and
what I went through when my HD died after 3 months of use. Anyone who had
good luck with Cltd.. it was just that GOOD LUCK! Cltd even fired one of
their employees when he told me the truth about what was going on!! Larry,
I don't think you were to hard on them at ALL... I think you were to easy!
I can't say enough BAD THINGS about the rip off artists! SCUM, pure SCUM!

It could not have happend to a nicer company.

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

nicthu@mcorp.UUCP (Nick "Watchdog" Thurn @ MMS International, Columbus, Ohio) (01/18/90)

I have the "new" C Ltd. KRONOS-2000 hard drive controller, and I think it's
one heck of a piece of hardware.  I did have some trouble upgrading from my
old C Ltd. controller, but after calling their support department and pulling
together parts of the documentation from about five different sections into
the right order, I got it up OK.  It autoboots from FFS and it's FAST.

By the way, does anyone have benchmark stats comparing the C Ltd. "non-DMA"
controllers to other companies' DMA ones?

I didn't really have a choice for controller brand, because I bought my 2000
in a package deal.  I'm sorry to hear that people had such bad experiences
with C Ltd., and even sorrier to see them go out of business.  I hope the
KRONOS series is not the cause of their demise, because it seems to be pretty
solid.

Nick      osu!mcorp!nicthu

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (the Wizard of Speed and Time) (01/18/90)

Well, I'd like to thank Perry for his posting.  Now I KNOW I'll never
buy anything from ASDG.

--
Rich Carreiro - Most Biased Boston Celtics Fan!   "So long, farewell, and may
ARPA: rlcarr@space.mit.edu                         the forces of evil become

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (01/18/90)

>>Now I know I'll never buy anything from ASDG.
In that case you will be the worse for your decision.  I have heard some
rather scathing things from ASDG on the net as well, but I have met the people
from ASDG at a couple of shows and they are always polite, helpful and
competant.   Sometimes they sound a little short tempered on the net, but that
is, I believe, because they care so much about their amiga products.  I have
purchased a few ASDG products and they always perform well, and flawlessly.
You can see that they spend quite a bit of time using, and debugging their
line, and it shows.  At least you are as certain as one can be that you will
not be abandoned by the manufacturer, in ASDG's case, and the design of all of
their products has been, in my experience, quite sound.

I have no connection with ASDG except as a customer.

-Roger Uzun

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (01/19/90)

In article <1032@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> Larry Phillips writes:
>[...]   I have the utmost respect for Supra. I have zero respect for the
>person who treated every customer like yet another sucker, when he was CardCo,
>C Ltd. and Linden Labs doing business as C Ltd. Supra supports their customers;
>[...]

Supra has in some ways supported me very well, but I've gotten no
satisfaction from them on one problem.  I have this big SCSI drive which
is hard-sectored at 256 bytes/sec.  My Supra 4x4 interface will not
support this drive.  When I asked a Supra technical type about it at the
Santa Clara AmiExpo, the response I got might as well have been "fuck
you, go away."  I'll readily admit that the market for this driver
feature is small.  The effort required to support it is also small.  All
they have to do is request blocks (2n) and (2n+1) from the drive every
time AmigaDOS asks for block (n).  BFD.  I was given a bunch of foofaraw
technobabble runaround by the Supra techie.  Nobody will ever convince
me that this feature is technically difficult.  The Supra tech certainly
convinced me that he and his company didn't give a shit about my
business or good will.

C. Ltd.'s driver supported 256 byte/sec drives, and I was going to buy a
Kronos controller, but I guess that's out now (no, I don't want your
used-and-unsupported Kronos/1000, unless you want to practically give it
away...)

Unless one other possibility pans out, I'm going to have to give up and
use this drive in my AT clone.  bleah.

* Vote in progress: comp.sys.amiga.hardware; ends 1/22.  See call for votes *
* in news.announce.newgroups.  Unambiguous YES/NO's to trent@ucscb.ucsc.edu *
--
Bela Lubkin    * *    //  filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us  CI$: 73047,1112 (slow)
     @       * *     //  belal@sco.com  ..ucbvax!ucscc!{gorn!filbo,sco!belal}

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (01/20/90)

>  Resp: 4 of 5 by *Masked* at madnix.UUCP
>  Date: Fri Jan 19 1990 06:17
>
>In article <25b1650a:3886.1comp.sys.amiga;1@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP
>(HIM) writes:
>>Hmm.. that doesnt sound like the C.ltd >I< knew .. , actually , it sounds
>>like A.*.D.G .. (I have listened to many a "we are the only ones who know
>>what we are doing" speech.) ( and in fact at one computer show saw a A.*.D.G
>>rep PHYSICALLY put his coat on a competitors products to hide them).
>

>Hey Bud. Get your quotes right. We never say ``we are the only ones who know
>what we are doing.'' In fact, we don't even say ``we are one of the few groups
>that know what they're doing.'' What we do say is: ``We know what we're
>doing.''

Ahem. Actually , you did specifically say "It's a wonder even Commodore
understands that [the A1000 expansion bus] the way we do.". And , in fact ,
it was YOU that said it.  (You were discussing this with a customer of
Family Computer Center on rt 46 who was asking about memory cards).

I will , howvere state this for the record. YOU DO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
All the ASDG product I have seen/heard about did what they were supposed to
do.

>What you don't know is that several Amiga market hardware
>manufacturers have sent their hardware to us for us to tell them what's wrong
>with their products. When we say such-and-such has a specific problem, it's
>because we know it has the problem we say it has and have fully detailed the
>problem's nature to the manufacturer.

I would be inpressed except at the time of this attitude you weren't at that
stage yet, so this is not something you grew into.

>Also, which show exactly did you see this cover up occur at? Who was the
>rep. What was his name. What coat size did he have? What was the ambient
>air temperature at the time and was the fellow warm? (In other words:
>what a useless non-constructive comment you have there madam.)

Family Computer Computer show (1986). You were the rep. Perry is the name. I
am not sure the size but large. about 87 - 90 degrees , yes he was war m ,
however , there were many chairs to put it on that did not involve covering
a competitor's (in this case C.ltd) product. BTW -- it was mentioned to you
and you said "so what" and left the coat.

Well, taking bets on how much bandwidth this will waste?

Everything I say is Copr.  1990, except the stuff I stole from someone else

bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) (01/21/90)

In article <2974@netxcom.DHL.COM>, ewiles@netxdev.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) writes:
>	Who's got the better product?  Don't tell me Supra!  Not after
>	seeing all those messages!  When I got my C-Ltd drive and
>	interface I literally plugged it all together and it worked!
>
>	Now how many Supra's do you know of that they managed to do that with?
>	"Who?... Me?... WHAT opinions?!?"	| Edwin Wiles

Here's one!  I just plugged it in and it worked!  (acutally, I put together
a customized system, so I had to make a cable and put the drive in a box..)
The software made it very easy to use, and the documentation was pretty good.
Just plugged it all in, booted Supra's floppies, and was guided through
formatting and installation quite simply...  I'm certainly satisified.  It
worked the first time.  (the first time I ever used a hard drive.)

And at least my company is still in business! :-)

+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| Jeff Bevis 		         | "But I don't like spam!"		      |
| bevis@en.ecn.purdue.edu	 | 	     Give me Amiga or nothing at all. |
+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (01/21/90)

>purchased a few ASDG products and they always perform well, and flawlessly.
>You can see that they spend quite a bit of time using, and debugging their

I have never doubtred that ASDG is >GOOD< and that their stuff works. But it
is the abusive attitude that turns me off.

rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) (01/23/90)

In article <9001210144.AA22160@en.ecn.purdue.edu> bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) writes:
   >In article <2974@netxcom.DHL.COM>, ewiles@netxdev.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) writes:
   >>	Who's got the better product?  Don't tell me Supra!  Not after
   >>	seeing all those messages!  When I got my C-Ltd drive and
   >>	interface I literally plugged it all together and it worked!
   >>	Now how many Supra's do you know of that they managed to do that with?
   >>	"Who?... Me?... WHAT opinions?!?"	| Edwin Wiles
   >Here's one!  I just plugged it in and it worked!  (acutally, I put together
   >a customized system, so I had to make a cable and put the drive in a box..)
   >The software made it very easy to use, and the documentation was pretty good.
   >Just plugged it all in, booted Supra's floppies, and was guided through
   >formatting and installation quite simply...  I'm certainly satisified.  It
   >worked the first time.  (the first time I ever used a hard drive.)

I have to go along with Jeff, my Supra WordSync(TM) SCSI  controller
worked first time and every time after I made the necessary SCSI and
power cables for my Zorro I box  attached to my A1000.  Yes, I  said
Zorro ONE expansion box!

After going to the otherwisely dismal  World of CBM in Valley  Forge
last year and seeing a non-DMA, half-card SCSI controller at Supra's
booth, I got the  number for their  technical folk.   I talked to  a
Willie Brown about  stuffing their WordSync  controller into my  old
CSA Turbo Amiga  expansion box.   Mr  Brown was  quiet an  enjoyable
person to talk to and, after checking the diff's 'tween the Zorro  I
and II  bus  spec's,  couldn't  see  why  it  wouldn't  work.    The
salesperson, aware of  this situation,  said there  wouldn't be  any
problem (or restocking charges) for returning the board if it didn't
work with my  Zorro I  box.   Estatic at  this point  I ordered  the
critter.   Like I  said above,  once I  made the  proper cables  and
(mechnically) mounted  my  own  Quantum  Q40  into  my  Turbo  Amiga
enclosure everything worked just  peachy and has  every since!   The
access speed hasn't been all that shabby either!

			-Rusty-

P.S.  This should also work so you folks owning ASDG's mini-Racks.
--
Rusty Haddock		o  {uunet,att,rutgers}!mimsy.umd.edu!fe2o3!rusty
Laurel, Maryland	o  "IBM sucks silicon!" -- PC Banana Jr, "Bloom County"

ewiles@netxdev.DHL.COM (Edwin Wiles) (01/24/90)

EW>In article <2974@netxcom.DHL.COM>, ewiles@netxdev.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) writes:
EW>	Who's got the better product?  Don't tell me Supra!  Not after
EW>	seeing all those messages!  When I got my C-Ltd drive and
EW>	interface I literally plugged it all together and it worked!
EW>	Now how many Supra's do you know of that they managed to do that with?

JB>In article <9001210144.AA22160@en.ecn.purdue.edu> bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU
(Jeff Bevis) writes:
JB>Here's one!  I just plugged it in and it worked!  (acutally, I put together
JB>a customized system, so I had to make a cable and put the drive in a box..)
JB>The software made it very easy to use, and the documentation was pretty good.
JB>Just plugged it all in, booted Supra's floppies, and was guided through
JB>formatting and installation quite simply...  I'm certainly satisified.  It
JB>worked the first time.  (the first time I ever used a hard drive.)

RH>In article <285@fe2o3.UUCP> rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) writes:
RH>I have to go along with Jeff, my Supra WordSync(TM) SCSI  controller
RH>worked first time and every time after I made the necessary SCSI and
RH>power cables for my Zorro I box  attached to my A1000.  Yes, I  said
RH>Zorro ONE expansion box!

[...EW Again...]

I'll answer both of you as follows.  NEITHER of you "simply plugged it
together and it worked".

Each of you performed customization of one form or another.

Jeff, you had to make a cable, and put the drive into a box.

Rusty, you not only had to make an SCSI cable, you also had to make a power
cable, as well as doing a lot of tech work to make sure whether or not your
setup would work.

Neither of you did what I did, which was to simply plug the power cable into
my drive, and into the wall;  Plug the SCSI cable into the drive, as well as
the SCSI interface box;  Plug the SCSI interface box into the pass-thru on
my Amiga;  Turn everything on, and boot from their floppy.

EACH of you had to peform some special task which I did not have to.  I do not
doubt that you also had to work on formatting your drive, which I did not.
It struck me as particularly appropriate that C-Ltd effectively tested each
drive that they sent out by not only formatting it for use, but also by putting
roughly 10K of public domain software on it.  This assured that it was working
correctly before it ever left their hands.

I've lost count of the number of times that people have posted to this
newsgroup asking for help in preping hard drives purchased from other
dealers, including Supra.  I have yet to see one posting about a C-Ltd
HD in that condition.

I will grant that it appears some people were given a raw deal by C-Ltd,
but I would like to point out that it seems quite a few more were left by
other manufacturers/suppliers with products that they could not use easily
due to a requirement by that manufacturer/supplier that they have technical
knowledge beyond that held by the average person.

RH>Willie Brown about  stuffing their WordSync  controller into my  old
RH>CSA Turbo Amiga  expansion box.   Mr  Brown was  quiet an  enjoyable

While I don't doubt that Mr. Brown was indeed helpful, not everyone can
go to the few Expo's they do have.  To my knowledge, not one has been
within 100 miles of Wash. D.C.  (I might not have seen the notices if
there had been one, but I expect I would, being a regular reader of the
network.)  And carrying on such a conversation over long distance phone
durring buisness hours quickly gets VERY expensive.

Ahhh, well.  I suppose like editors, it's a bit of a religious issue which
is unlikely to be decided over the network.

					Enjoy!