[comp.sys.amiga] Game review

pg0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Peter Cranston Green) (01/16/90)

People,

Just to let you know -- I picked up this game over Christmas break
called SpeedBall.  It is awesome.  If you want a game that will let you
abuse your friends and destroy your family -- this is it.

It looks kind of like roller-ball in a steel gymnasium.  You have about
5 guys per team.  There are small goals at each end of the screen (which
scrolls vertically).  You try and throw this steel ball into them.  Of
course, you're opponent doesn't want you to do this.  But that's OK,
because you can deck the stuffin' out of any of the players, including
the goalie!

This game is fast and violent.  Everyone who plays loves it.  The music
rocks and the graphics are swell.  So, if you are looking to pick up an
intense, different, and exciting game -- SpeedBall by Cinemaware is your
best bet.

Just FYI,

Peter C. Green
pg0p@andrew.cmu.edu

P.S.  You can play against the computer, too.  He's mean.

schur@venera.UUCP (Sean Schur) (01/17/90)

In article <gZgmv9C00W0TE0al0C@andrew.cmu.edu> pg0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Peter Cranston Green) writes:
>People,
>
>This game is fast and violent.  Everyone who plays loves it.  The music
>rocks and the graphics are swell.  So, if you are looking to pick up an
>intense, different, and exciting game -- SpeedBall by Cinemaware is your
>best bet.

Amen. I have been playing this game for months. I would just like to add
that in my opinion this is the best two-player, one-on-one game available.

- Sean Schur

caw@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Chris Wichura) (01/18/90)

SpeedBall is by far one of the best action games I have purchased for
my Amiga.  However, it suffers from one of the stupid things C= did and
that was go with the pin-outs of the Atari 2600->C=64 joystick port which
does not really support more than one button (so the specs say you can add
a second button on I forget which pin (same as RMB) -- how many joysticks
have __YOU__ seen that support this?).  The biggest problem with this game
is it needs to have the tackle and jump actions on two difference buttons.
It always burns me when the computer can tackle my guy when the ball is right
over his head while I always end up jumping to catch it in the same situation
and then 99% of the time getting clobbered.

--
Christopher A. Wichura
u12401 @ uicvm.uic.edu  (my home account)

mapjilg@gdr.bath.ac.uk (J I L Gold) (01/18/90)

I picked up a copy of Psygnosis' Ballistix for 5.99 (pounds!) a couple
of weeks back. There are similarities to Speedball, but the pitch
changes from game to game with lots of hazards (holes for the ball to
fall in, acid pools, pinball-like bumpers, bombs, etc). Fast and furious
stuff!
#  J.Gold                            |    mapjilg@uk.ac.bath.gdr               #
#  University of Bath , UK           |    jilg@uk.ac.bath.maths                #

aiajms@castle.ed.ac.uk (Bellerophon) (01/19/90)

	Its bloody good.

	Incidentally, how far have people got in the
	one-player knockout competition?

	Has anyone finished it?

-=Andy=-

nsw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Neil Weinstock) (01/23/90)

In article <11434@venera.UUCP> schur@venera.isi.edu.UUCP (Sean Schur) writes:
>In article <gZgmv9C00W0TE0al0C@andrew.cmu.edu> pg0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Peter Cranston Green) writes:
>>This game is fast and violent.  Everyone who plays loves it.  The music
>>rocks and the graphics are swell.  So, if you are looking to pick up an
>>intense, different, and exciting game -- SpeedBall by Cinemaware is your
>>best bet.
>
>Amen. I have been playing this game for months. I would just like to add
>that in my opinion this is the best two-player, one-on-one game available.

I agree, it's a great game.  The sound is great.  I wish there were more two
player games like this.

Oh, and the copy protection sounds like it's turning your floppy drive to
Swiss cheese, and it naturally makes you reboot after playing.  I haven't
played it in months.  Anything that forces me to pull out a floppy and
reboot my machine doesn't get much use.  Sigh.  (Funny thing is, it's not
entirely a strict policy of mine, it just works out that way.  Maybe I'm
just lazy.  I can say, though, that I've easily logged more hours playing
a PD tetris program than all my other games combined.  Why?  It multitasks.)

    ________________    __________________    _________________________
////                \\//                  \\//                         \\\\
\\\\ Neil Weinstock //\\ att!cord!nsw  or //\\ "Your hair is so...     ////
//// AT&T Bell Labs \\// nsw@cord.att.com \\//  lustre-laden." - Moss  \\\\
\\\\________________//\\__________________//\\_________________________////

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (01/24/90)

In article <8742@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> nsw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Neil Weinstock) writes:
>I can say, though, that I've easily logged more hours playing
>a PD tetris program than all my other games combined.  Why?  It multitasks.)

	You said it!  I own a few dozen commercial games, and I like them
fine (even though they are copy protected).  However, the games that
get the most playing time by FAR are:

		Tetrix		(PD Tetris)
		Bally III	(PD Qix-like game)
		Larn		(PD by the Software Distillery)

These all multitask just FINE.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science          Baltimore, MD  21218 |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (01/24/90)

In article <4039@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
>In article <8742@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> nsw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Neil Weinstock) writes:
>>I can say, though, that I've easily logged more hours playing
>>a PD tetris program than all my other games combined.  Why?  It multitasks.)
>
>	You said it!  I own a few dozen commercial games, and I like them
>fine (even though they are copy protected).  However, the games that
>get the most playing time by FAR are:
>
>		Tetrix		(PD Tetris)
>		Bally III	(PD Qix-like game)
>		Larn		(PD by the Software Distillery)
>
>These all multitask just FINE.

Add to this list:   Marble Slide

It is a PD game, off of a recent fish disk, that multitasks well.

It's perfect for playing while that big make file is chugging away!

The levels go fairly fast, and you can save games in progress.

Check it out!

--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)