[comp.sys.amiga] A2091 controller

rumford@afitamy.fidonet.org (Don Rumford) (01/21/90)

>>>Is the A2091 released then? A friend has been waiting for
> it. As of about
>>>a week and a half ago, no mail order places that I called
> had received any.
>>>If it's out, can anybody tell me of some place that
> carries it? Or is
>>>mail order cut out on Amiga peripherals and cards as well
> as the computers
>>>themselves?
>>
>>No, as of Friday, January 12th it was not released...even
> to Commodore
>>employees.  :-(   No date was given as to when it will be
> available either.

> Ummm... not quite true. Several have been reported purchased
> (a number of them
> in Denver, as an example). Additionally, they are being
> shipped to dealers by
> Commodore Canada, though at this time they come only with a
> drive, as a
> package.

> As usual, not all countries get them at the same time, and
> not all dealers
> within a country get them at the same time. Shouldn't be
> long before we are up
> to our armpits in them. :-)

larry,
     The A2091 is currently shipping in the 2500/030 and as soon as they get enough to cover production of the 2000HDs they should become easy to get.

                                                                -Don-

P.S.  Have used two of them already and they are NICE!

--

           Don Rumford - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
           UUCP: uunet!dayvb!afitamy!rumford

rickf@pnet02.gryphon.com (Rick Flower) (01/23/90)

rumford@afitamy.fidonet.org (Don Rumford) writes:
>> it. As of about
>> had received any.
>> carries it? Or is
>> as the computers

Well, I just went out and talked with a friend of mine the other day who just
happens to be the Service Manager over at Creative Computers in Lawndale,
Ca... Anyway, I didn't even KNOW that the A2091 existed before last friday!!
To make a long story short, I ended up walking out with a brand new A2091 for
$299 (cheaper than the A2090 which is going for $325 if I recall!) and a GVP
68030 board.. Anyway, I must say that the A2091 is quite a card!  The software
is nice (HdToolBox program), but unfortunately either my Maxtor drive OR the
software itself doesn't handle the bad blocks correctly (e-mail me if you want
details! I won't waste space here!)

To sum it up, Creative Computers sells the A2091 for $299 and they are pulled
out of other machines -- they are NOT "new-in-box"..

|             Caution, 68k Assembly Language Programmer at Play!              |
|              Support S.A.N.E. (Snails Against Nuclear Energy)               |
|             UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!rickf             |
|         InterNet: rickf@pnet02.gryphon.com                                  |
+=============================================================================+

eapu030@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jason Goldberg) (01/23/90)

In article <25157@gryphon.COM> rickf@pnet02.gryphon.com (Rick Flower) writes:
>To sum it up, Creative Computers sells the A2091 for $299 and they are pulled
>out of other machines -- they are NOT "new-in-box"..

I hate to break the news to you but you could have gone to ComputerCity
about 30 miles South of Creative and bought a brand new, in the box,
w/ manual/disk/warenty/etc... for less than $275.  Of course it is worth
a little extra to buy from your own dealer.  Particularly when they have
a Tech as good as Kelly (I asume that was your friend).

-Jason-

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (01/24/90)

I"m ordering the A2000HD/PC system tomorrow.  It supposedly comes
wiht the A2091 controller.  Can someone post some specs on this
card?
--
John  M.  Adams    --*--    Professional Student on the six-year plan!
Internet:  jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu