[comp.sys.amiga] Even more problems with HAM-E

wayneck@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne C Knapp) (01/24/90)

In article <4710008@hpfcdq.HP.COM>, olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM (John Olsen) writes:

> It still means modifying all those paint programs to know about the BB box,
> and making them know how to read and write 24 bit/pixel files, but the
> argument about file formats and specs goes away.  The color table cookies
> only exist while the image is in memory.

This is a problem since the IFF 24 bit stuff doesn't produce tiny files, and
I'm not going to give my compression stuff away.  It is really a lot of work.

However, I think the file format problem is minor compared to this.  Since
HAM-E isn't a built in solution and Intuition doesn't know about it, there
is a real problem with using menus, requesters, or any of the normal Amiga
interface stuff on a HAM-E screen.  Maybe Menus will work because they would
overwrite the cookie, but what about requesters?  Ugh, all programs would
have to be rewritten to put the controls on a different screen than the
HAM-E screen.  I don't think this is a minor task for a lot of programs
like DPaint III.  I sure don't want to rewrite my programs for that.

                                         Wayne Knapp