[comp.sys.amiga] LIFE

In <1990Jan23.231923.16781@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, rokicki@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
>So, my question is, does anyone out there play with LIFE?  If so, what type
>of playground would you like?  I've run a 1024x8192 board to watch the
>puffer train . . . any recommendations appreciated.

Yes!  Love it!  I have one of your fairly recent versions (December or so I
think) and it's really nice.  Can you scroll around the 1024*8192 board?  About
all I can think of that I'd like to see is the ability to import predefined
figures from a 'zoo' of lifeforms, and to be able to stamp them down
accurately, perhaps with coordinates showing, onto an already generating board.
No biggie though.. it marvellous already.

-larry

--
"Cavett Emptor - Let the talk show host beware!" - Evan Marcus

rokicki@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (01/24/90)

Remember blitter life?  For those with a 68020/68030, I've got a new version
that literally blows the old version away (without using the blitter.)  The
thing is, it's *too* fast, and almost all of the time is spent just updating
the screen.

So, my question is, does anyone out there play with LIFE?  If so, what type
of playground would you like?  I've run a 1024x8192 board to watch the
puffer train . . . any recommendations appreciated.

To get more speed, I've got options to only display every third or every
fifth generation . . .

To give you an idea of the speed, on a 2630, the entire 1100 generation
history of the r pentimino takes less than three seconds . . .

-tom

beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (BeO de PeO) (01/24/90)

In Some article rokicki@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
>Remember blitter life?
No!
According to the rest of the story, this must be quite a fast program, So...
How can I get it? Is it free? Is it big? Is it available for poor sods like
me who can't do ftp?

Tanx,
     Jan van Veen, beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl, Amsterdam, Netherlands