[comp.sys.amiga] A2000 Expansion Bus Problems

Robert_No-doubt_Gregory@cup.portal.com (01/21/90)

Has anyone seem a problem similar to mine?  The have an A2000 (V4.1)
with a Hardframe, Seagate 277N, 8UP w/ 2meg, and Supra internal 2400
modem.  All of a sudden the machine gurus without any apparent cause.
Subsequent reboots guru consistantly in the middle of the startup
sequence.  Eventually (now) it no longer boots of the harddisk at all.
Its does work fairly well from floppies.  By messing around with it, it
looks like it is having problems with anything in the expansion slots;
it kinda of knows they are there but it kinda doesn't. For example
the 8up board shoes up if I do an 'avail' command but if I run the
Microbotics memory test is says 'no expansion devices' present (normally
it will detect bothe the memory and the hard disk).  Another example,
if I try to mount a hard disk partition, it says 'dh0 already mounted',
but I see no sign of it if I do the 'info' command.  I don't see how
this can be anything but a hardware failure somewhere in the Amiga itself.

Robert_No-doubt_Gregory@cup.portal.com (01/21/90)

(To continue) If anyone has in ideas on some cheap and/or easy things
I could try before hauling my 2000 down to the dealer for the $70/hr
workover, I would apreciate it.

                               Robert Gregory

ammrk@swbatl.UUCP (Mike R. Kraml) (01/25/90)

In article <26166@cup.portal.com> Robert_No-doubt_Gregory@cup.portal.com writes:

>(To continue) If anyone has in ideas on some cheap and/or easy things
>I could try before hauling my 2000 down to the dealer for the $70/hr
>workover, I would apreciate it.
>
>                               Robert Gregory
Robert:
I had similar problems when I installed my 2620 board with my 2-meg ram board
and my ASDG serial board.  It did very similar things, the Guruing in the middle
of boot up and such.  What I finally did to solve my problem was let the
thing 'warm up' for a while before I let it boot.  About 5 minutes should do it.
This worked for me as well as another friend with similar problems.  It appears
that the buss 'needs to warm up' and come to a stable state before it trys to
talk to any boards, (due to timing problems, noise, etc).  I know this sounds
crazy, I thought so too, but it worked for me. Give it a try, and let me and
others know.  Thanks, Mike...

  Mike Kraml - Manager-Separations MECHANIZATION - SWBT - (The Techies)
  UUCP: {uunet, bellcore, texbell}...!swbatl!slims!ammrk