[comp.sys.amiga] Cost of an Amiga compared with PCs

wizard@sosaria.UUCP (Chris Brand) (01/21/90)

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) wrote:

> Hmm.  So what you are saying is that a system which costs (conservatively)
> seven to ten times what the Amiga does will definitely outperform it, one
> that costs only five times as much might outperform it, and one that costs
> three times as much would go neck-to-neck (without multitasking, of course :-).
> I guess this is what is known as a left-handed insult :-)

Well...to do serious work with an Amiga, you need to invest a lot more than
a standard machine costs.
For example: you need a Multisync monitor, a flickerfixer, a turboboard, a
big harddisk....costs for this go far beyond the price of a VGA 386er.

--
------------------------------------
Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com

duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) (01/25/90)

From article <01890.AA01890@sosaria>, by wizard@sosaria.UUCP (Chris Brand):

> farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) wrote:
>
>> Hmm.  So what you are saying is that a system which costs (conservatively)
>> seven to ten times what the Amiga does will definitely outperform it, one
>> that costs only five times as much might outperform it, and one that costs
>> three times as much would go neck-to-neck (without multitasking, of course :-).
>> I guess this is what is known as a left-handed insult :-)
>
> Well...to do serious work with an Amiga, you need to invest a lot more than
> a standard machine costs.
> For example: you need a Multisync monitor, a flickerfixer, a turboboard, a
> big harddisk....costs for this go far beyond the price of a VGA 386er.
>

> --
> ------------------------------------
> Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com
> "Justice is the possession and doing
> of what one is entitled to" - Platon
> ------------------------------------

Hmmm... interesting.  I am trying to help someone set up his
zeneth386/33.  What operating system are you using on your 386?

The problem we are having with our 386 is we need to use more than
640k at a time and swapping out to EMS does NOT do the trick. Slow.

The programs we need to run are large pascal programs. ( > 1.5 Mb).
Dos does not do this well.  And dos extenders plus a compiler that
generates TRUE 386 codes are about $1000 ($400 + $600).  Actually
to be able to use the full power of a 386 right now we are
leaning towards some form of U*IX.

Now would I have this memory problem with my amiga, WITHOUT having
to buy a different operating system?  Useful is a relative term.

If you have some suggestions for my 386 problems please email.
Trying to use the full power of a 386 (rather than a fast 8086)
has been rather frustrating.

In quest of some useful information.