[comp.sys.amiga] Virtual Size text editors

GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) (01/22/90)

Does anyone here know of text editors or wordprocessors that will
edit a document larger than available memory?  For example, I batch downloaded
my email into one large file, and then found it was so large I had nothing
to edit it with.  I have found out from others that TextCraft, Ed, CygnusEd,
Excellence, WordPerfect, Scribble, will not open files larger than available
memory. Although,some of the wysiwyg ones like Ecellence will try for over
an hour to load the file, until you get to impatient and reboot.

The only one that worked was the AmigaDOS EDIT command.  It was very slow
though.  In comparison, MS-WORD handles files like this very easily, provided
 you have a decent hard disk (which I do).

|Dennis Gorrie                 'Sudden de-compression Sucks!'           |
|GORRIEDE AT UREGINA1.BITNET                                            |

walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo Karl Schuermann) (01/22/90)

In article <9001220510.AA16544@jade.berkeley.edu> GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) writes:

>Does anyone here know of text editors or wordprocessors that will
>edit a document larger than available memory?  For example, I batch downloaded
>my email into one large file, and then found it was so large I had nothing
>to edit it with.  I have found out from others that TextCraft, Ed, CygnusEd,
>Excellence, WordPerfect, Scribble, will not open files larger than available
>memory. Although,some of the wysiwyg ones like Ecellence will try for over
>an hour to load the file, until you get to impatient and reboot.

I'm fairly sure that WordPerfect WILL edit files larger than memory.  Its
restriction is diskspace where it stores overflow files.  It stores these
files in T:  Thus if you  ASSIGN T: RAM:  then WP is limited to RAM, but if
you assign it to a harddisk (floppies work but are limited to 880K and are
slow) you'll be able to edit files as large as the free space on that
device.

Udo Schuermann           //  "The power to destroy a thing is the
walrus@cscwam.umd.edu  \X/    absolute control over it."  -- Frank Herbert

cs121jj@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (01/22/90)

The virtual edit idea sounds like a good idea for a suggestion for Perry.  Is
he still with ASDG, or what?  Anyhoo, if anyone has direct access to him or
Bruce Dawson (the main author), that would be a REAL good idea.

jh@ccave.UUCP (Juergen Hermann) (01/31/90)

In article <9001220510.AA16544@jade.berkeley.edu> GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) writes:
>Excellence, WordPerfect, Scribble, will not open files larger than available

Are you sure about WordPerfect? To my knowledge (I own it) WP never loads
the whole file into memory, but has a static buffer of 32K or so (by
default, that's setable).

--
   //  Juergen Hermann          UUCP: ira.uka.de!smurf!ccave!jh
 \X/   75 Karlsruhe 1, FRG      Fido: 2:241/2.1212@FidoNet