[comp.sys.amiga] Looking for ASDG lowmem server

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (02/01/90)

In article <9596@nigel.udel.EDU> new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>I have the lowmem.library and the help file, and the help file describes
>how to write programs using the lowmem.library.  However, it makes
>references to constants defined in "lowmem.h" (which I don't have) and
>I don't know the offsets to the entry points.  The LMS would be ideal for

etc. etc.

I strongly suggest that you not use the low memory server.

My experience since 1986 (or was it 7?) when I wrote the thing is that
better programming practices are far better than having some watchdog
memory snooper wedged into your system.

Besides, there's a very infrequently occuring bug (which I've hunted for
years and never found) which happens only when the low-memory.library is
in use. As I said, it occurs very very infrequently but it does occur and
I've never been able to find it. I suspect it is somehow related to the
same thing causing the Blitzdisk/Workbench interaction which CHeath has
never been able to find. IE: I think it's somewhere in the bowels of
memory handling inside the system.

So in review, it was a nice idea at the time but better programming
practices can often eliminate the need for the library.

pk

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry