[comp.sys.amiga] Request for X11 info

rjm10838@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (01/23/90)

    Does anyone out there know where I can get X11 for the Amiga? I know
there's a version out there somewhere, and I just found out that being able
to run X on my own machine will save me a lot of aggravation in the very
near future. Also, any comments anyone has on the package are welcome.

Thanks,
Ron Menelli
r-menelli@uiuc.edu

amercer@thor.wright.edu (Art Mercer) (01/24/90)

From article <111400089@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, by rjm10838@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:

>>     Does anyone out there know where I can get X11 for the Amiga? I know
>> [...omitted]

Yup!  X11 is available from:

	GFXBase
	1881 Ellwell Dr.
	Mulpitas Dr
	CA 95035
	(408)-262-1469
or see your local dealer.

You will also need an ethernet board and supporting software, GFXBase
should be of help if they are still selling the complete kit.

We have 2 Amigas running X11 and its great, one of the few peices of
software that once installed, has worked without problems. (Thanks Dale! :-)

>> Thanks,
>> Ron Menelli
>> r-menelli@uiuc.edu

Art Mercer
Associate Director, Academic Computing Resources
040T Library Annex
Wright State University
Col. Glenn HWY
Dayton, OH 45435

BITNET:  amercer@wsu.bitnet

---

kjm100@csc.anu.oz (01/24/90)

In article <111400089@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, rjm10838@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>     Does anyone out there know where I can get X11 for the Amiga? I know
> there's a version out there somewhere, and I just found out that being able
> to run X on my own machine will save me a lot of aggravation in the very
> near future. Also, any comments anyone has on the package are welcome.

In the Computer Discount Catalog No. 6 (Computer Discount, 998 West 5th Ave.,
Denver, Colorado 80204) there is an advertisement for the Gfxbase X11
package for $US 369.98.  They will also sell you an Ethernet controller
for $US 825.00.

Hope this is helpful!

Ken Mighell
mighell@mso.anu.oz

Mount Stromlo Observatory
Private Bag
P.O. Weston Creek, ACT 2611
AUSTRALIA

unland@cbmvax.commodore.com (Rick Unland - Regional Support) (02/01/90)

$In article <983@thor.wright.EDU> amercer@thor.wright.edu writes:
$
$>Yup!  X11 is available from:
$>
$>	GFXBase
$>	1881 Ellwell Dr.
$>	Mulpitas Dr
$>	CA 95035
$>	(408)-262-1469
$>or see your local dealer.

Dale being a multi-Tasking type of guy has multiple offices from which he
executes different things.  GFXbase is currently at the below address and
telephone number.  If you call there you wont talk directly to dale but  they
are more than helpful.

GFXbase
140 S. Camden STE 102
Beverly Hills, Calif 90212
213-273-4056
FAX 213-276-0323

Rick

--
******* Rick Unland	Commodore Business Machines ****************************
*	Usenet: uunet!cbmvax!unland  ARPA: cbmvax!unland!@uunet.UU.NET         *

ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com (Hans Ridder) (02/01/90)

In article <9737@baldrick.udel.EDU> leightonr%scivx1.decnet@afal-edwards.af.mil (SCIVX1::LEIGHTONR) writes:
>The local clients are huge. For example Xlogo is 260K (and all this
>program does is display an 'X' on the X-Windows display).  Can anyone
>explain why this is the case????  I find it very distressing when a
>clock program (Xclock 271K) is bigger than DPaint III.

I'm not really up to speed on X, and I don't know how the Amiga
implementation is put together.  My understanding of the problem is
that all X applications wind up loading all or most of the X library
during linking.  I understand that this is because the highly
configurable user interface doen't know which routines it will need
until *run time*.  Thus, all "widget" routines are needed in each
executable, making them quite large.
Perhaps it would be possible to turn most or of the X library
(toolkit, whatever) into an Amiga sharable Exec library??!!??

-hans
  Hans-Gabriel Ridder			Digital Equipment Corporation
  ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com		Customer Support Center
  ...decwrl!elvira.enet!ridder		Colorado Springs, CO