[comp.sys.amiga] ST has Borland Turbo C, why not Amiga?

johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) (02/01/90)

A short time ago while perusing the comp.sys.atari.st newsgroup I noticed
multiple references to Turbo C.  Curious, I posted to that group asking if
they were referring to an ST version of Turbo C (from Borland).  I was
amazed to learn that it was the Borland product!  I still have issue #1 of
Amiga World in which you can find an ad for Amiga Turbo Pascal (which never
shipped).  It's interesting to find them making a product for the ST, and I'm
sure many out there would like to see Borland compilers for the Amiga.
anyone feeling strongly about this may wish to send a letter to the president
of Borland.  Here is an address (from a posting - I'm not sure it's correct
though it may be).
         Mr. Philippe Kahn
         Borland International, Inc.
         P.O. Box
         Scotts Valley, CA 95066-0001
         U.S.A.

The ST Turbo C is not sold in the US strangely enough and I gather the
language used in the program/docs is not english.  Weird, huh?  For anyone
interested in details here is some info from another posting on
comp.sys.atari.st:

--
John Lindwall                     |   "Not my employer opinions; mine"
johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM     |   a man, a plan, a beer, reeban alpa nama

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (02/02/90)

In article <254@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) writes:
>A short time ago while perusing the comp.sys.atari.st newsgroup I noticed
>multiple references to Turbo C.  Curious, I posted to that group asking if
>they were referring to an ST version of Turbo C (from Borland).  I was
>amazed to learn that it was the Borland product!
     Yes, it is a Borland product, but from what people in comp.sys.atari.st
from Europe were saying, it wasn't actually written by Borland. Basically,
a very small company did a _very_ good job of writing a clone of Turbo C,
and Borland agreed to market it in Europe, where the ST is better received.
                                                    - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti, Editor, LOW ORBIT | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | CIS 72406,370 |
| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | PLink: Skywise | QLink: Bearclaw |