[comp.sys.amiga] Thanks ASDG

GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) (12/18/89)

I just got the upgrade notice for CygnusED from ASDG.  Not a bad xmas present.
In the meantime, can anyone tell me how to get  rid of these  CygnusEdTempA.576
files that were left on my hard disk when I crashed the computer while editing
something?  I try to delete them but I always get a file not found error,
no matter what program I try to use to delete them.  I was going to destroy the
dir blocks with SECTORAMA but I don't think it works the same on FFS.

Is there anything short of a DOS format to get these files from the 'un-dead'
off my hard disk?

P.S.  Is there an FTP site that has a text file containing the entire fish
      disk list and content descriptions?  All in a single text file?
      ....thanks
|Dennis Gorrie                 'Sudden de-compression Sucks!'           |
|GORRIEDE AT UREGINA1.BITNET                                            |

In <8912172023.AA11725@jade.berkeley.edu>, GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) writes:
>I just got the upgrade notice for CygnusED from ASDG.  Not a bad xmas present.
>In the meantime, can anyone tell me how to get  rid of these  CygnusEdTempA.576
>files that were left on my hard disk when I crashed the computer while editing
>something?  I try to delete them but I always get a file not found error,
>no matter what program I try to use to delete them.  I was going to destroy the
>dir blocks with SECTORAMA but I don't think it works the same on FFS.
>
>Is there anything short of a DOS format to get these files from the 'un-dead'
>off my hard disk?

Did you try 'delete cygnusedtemp#?' or check the protection bits?
I had a file or two left like that after a crash, and got rid of them fairly
easily.  Can't remember how though.

-larry

--
"Cavett Emptor - Let the talk show host beware!" - Evan Marcus

Ernie@egami.wimsey.bc.ca (Ernie Gorrie) (01/16/90)

Robert Gorrie) writes:

>I just got the upgrade notice for CygnusED from ASDG.  Not a bad xmas present.
>In the meantime, can anyone tell me how toget rid of these CygnusEdTempA.576
>files that were left on my hard disk when I crashed the computer while editing
>something?  I try to delete them but I always get a file not found error,
>no matter what program I try to use to delete them.  I was going to destroy the
>dir blocks with SECTORAMA but I don't think it works the same on FFS.
>Is there anything short of a DOS format to get these files from the 'un-dead'
>off my hard disk?

	Funny how you and I get the same problems.  Must have something to do
with the name, eh?  First getting diddled by Abel and now this.  I had the
same problem with the creation and inability to delete some of those
"CygnusEdTempA.xxx" files.  I tried a lot of things over several months and
ended up reformatting my hard drive to get rid of them.

	I got my problem files a different way than you did though.  I got them
when I shut down the system quickly after saving CED files.  I note that
when saving a file my hard drive has disk activity, then pauses, then has a
little more activity (maybe 1.5 seconds) then pauses, then has about a half
a second of activity.  If I saved the file and shut the machine off before
the final burst, I would get the problem files.

	Good luck in getting rid of yours.  :)

--
Ernie Gorrie
9431 McBurney Drive,

caw@miroc.UUCP (Christopher A. Wichura) (02/02/90)

On 31 Jan 90 22:47:43 GMT new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>Anyway, I think what happens is that the hash chain the file is stored under
>does not match the actual hash of the name. Hence, DIR will show the file
>but DELETE (even delete #?) will not find the file.  The only "easy" fix
>I ever found was to copy the needed files elsewhere and zero out all
>the hash-chain-heads from the directory and then revalidate.
>		    -- Darren

What about one of the disk rebuilder programs like Disk Mechanic or
DiskSalv, etc?	I seem to remember the docs to Disk Mechanic saying
something about one of DiskRepair's functions being able to re-build the
hash table.  Never had a need to try it out, though, thankfully!

-=> CAW

			  Christopher A. Wichura

	       ...!jolnet!miroc!caw	(my amiga)
	       u12401@uicvm.uic.edu	(my school account)