[comp.sys.amiga] Lattice C++

sjm@well.UUCP (Stephen Moehle) (11/02/88)

    This is a review (flame) of the Lattice C++ compiler.  This review is not
concerned at all with the quality of the compiler.  It is concerned solely with
Lattice's marketing policy.  The Lattice C++ is an entirely seperate product
from their C compiler.  This means that the C++ compiler does not come with
any documentation for the C standard library.  Nor does the C++ compiler come
with any of the utilities, such as omd, that come with the Lattice C compiler.

    I was under the impression that C serves as the base for C++.  Further,
I was under the impression that the C standard library is part of C++.
Certainly Bjarne Stroustrup makes use of the standard library in his book, and
for all intents and purposes Stroustrup is C++.

    Lattice has told me that I will have to buy their C compiler (going rate is
about $180 I think) if I want to use routines such as strcmp(), strcat(),
sprintf(), sqrt(), sin(), cos(), itoa(), etc. in C++.  Considering that I paid
$500 for the C++ compiler, it seems grossly unfair that I must now pay another
$180 just so I can use the C standard library which I believe is also the C++
standard library.

    If you have not been able to guess so far, then I will make it clear that
I am very disappointed with Lattice.  The implementation of C++ itself seems to
be adequate, but the policies of Lattice leave me feeling very cold.
Fortunately, Lattice offers a 30-day money back guarantee.  I may well be
forced to use it.

    Oh yes, one more twist to the knife.  On the back of the box C++ comes in,
under the section entitled "Package Contents:", one of the items listed is
"Lattice C Compiler".

Stephe
{ucbvax,pacbell,hplabs}!well!sjm     or     well!sjm@lll-winken.arpa
"You heard the weirdo man.  What is truth?"

schemers@egrunix.UUCP (Roland Schemers) (09/11/89)

Could someone with experience using Lattice C++ for the Amiga send
me mail on its compatibility with AT&T C++ 2.0? If it isn't fully
compatible, is there an upgrade path expected soon? Since there
is an educational discount (50% off of list) with Lattice, I was
thinking of purchasing their latest C++ and C compilers.

thanx
--
Roland J. Schemers III                  'Real programmers don't write specs.
Systems Programmer                      Users should be grateful for whatever

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (09/11/89)

In article <154@egrunix.UUCP> schemers@egrunix.UUCP (Roland Schemers) writes:

   Could someone with experience using Lattice C++ for the Amiga send
   me mail on its compatibility with AT&T C++ 2.0? If it isn't fully
   compatible, is there an upgrade path expected soon? Since there
   is an educational discount (50% off of list) with Lattice, I was
   thinking of purchasing their latest C++ and C compilers.

Could someone provide more details about this, or indicate how Lattice
may be contacted?

				--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.

  "$16,000!  And all he wanted to do was dip us in plaster!"

duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) (09/12/89)

In article <PORTUESI.89Sep11103246@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> portuesi@sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>In article <154@egrunix.UUCP> schemers@egrunix.UUCP (Roland Schemers) writes:
>
>   Could someone with experience using Lattice C++ for the Amiga send
>   me mail on its compatibility with AT&T C++ 2.0? If it isn't fully
>   compatible, is there an upgrade path expected soon? Since there
>   is an educational discount (50% off of list) with Lattice, I was
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   thinking of purchasing their latest C++ and C compilers.
>

>Could someone provide more details about this, or indicate how Lattice
>may be contacted?
>
>				--M
>--
>__
>\/  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.
>			portuesi@SGI.COM
>
>  "$16,000!  And all he wanted to do was dip us in plaster!"

When I was at amiexpo - chicago I asked Lattice about this.  Scott
Pettit - a sales representative - suggested I call Lattice to be sure
but he thought a student ID, faculity, staff ID xerox and a request on
University Letterhead would do the trick

Lattice Incorporated
2500 S. Highland Ave
Lombard, Il 60148

Phone 312/916-1600
FAX  312/916-1190
Sales 800-444-4309

Good Luck and let me know what you find out.

-Shan D.

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (09/15/89)

In article <PORTUESI.89Sep11103246@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> portuesi@sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>In article <154@egrunix.UUCP> schemers@egrunix.UUCP (Roland Schemers) writes:
>
>   Could someone with experience using Lattice C++ for the Amiga send
>   me mail on its compatibility with AT&T C++ 2.0? If it isn't fully

Lattice C++ is a front-end created using AT&T's C++ 1.1 code.

>Could someone provide more details about this, or indicate how Lattice
>may be contacted?

Lattice Sales:  1-800-444-4309    Information about Lattice products
Lattice Tech:   1-312-916-1100    Lattice technical support
Fax:            1-312-916-1190

--Doug

mike_s@sun-barr.EBay.Sun.COM (Mike Sullivan) (12/22/89)

I haven't seen answers to these questions in comp.sys.amiga
or comp.sys.amiga.tech yet, so I thought I'd post them before
I spend lots of money.

I just bought Lattice C (v5.04), and I noticed that they have a
C++ compiler also. Does anyone know if this is just a translator,
or a full compiler?

I think I'm going to end up teaching Sun C++, and since Sun C++ is
based on ATT cfront v2.0, I need a 2.0 C++. Is Lattice based on
C++ 1.2 or 2.0?

        Mike

jer@stiatl.UUCP (John Ramspott) (12/22/89)

The Lattice C++ front end is a true AT&T implementation, although is not yet
up to 2.0. Like AT&T's implementation, it is a translator that converts the
C++ into C and compiles it with the C compiler. When you buy C++, you get
enough of the 4.0 C compiler to use it, but you may definitely use it with the
5.x C compiler (which is what I do).
	When I got my review copy back around February, I had to pay $50 to
keep it since Lattice pays that much per copy to AT&T as a licensing fee. It is
a true AT&T translator, which makes me feel comfortable since Bjarne Stroustrup
is authoring C++ for AT&T. This implementation is the recommended method for
C++. While this method is slower than a full compiler, it is "the spec".
    I also like the fact that I can upgrade the C compiler portion at will,
without having to worry about whether or not Lattice will upgrade its C++
compiler. I can take full advantage of bug fixes and new features of the
frequently updated Lattice C compiler, which I also use by itself a good bit.
    I have had little trouble using it. It seems to be a full, robust
implemention. I believe I have managed to excercise most of the major features
of the C++ language (prior to 2.0) with it. The biggest difficulty is debugging
it since CPR only can deal with the intermediate C code. Sometimes the
connection between the C and C++ is obvious, other times I have a hard time
with it. I hope that they come out with a CPR that can work directly with
my C++ source.
    My only problem with it is that it is slow to translate -- no disk access,
it appears to have to "think" real hard about things. Knowing the way Lattice
updates things, I am sure that the 2.0 features will put in an appearance. By
the way, Lattice provides some neat classes for doing things with Intuition
and other aspects of the AMiga OS.
--
John Ramspott						gatech!stiatl!jer
Sales Technologies, Inc

lbl@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (leslie.b.locklear) (12/23/89)

In article <2539@sun-barr.EBay.Sun.COM>, mike_s@sun-barr.EBay.Sun.COM (Mike Sullivan) writes:

> I think I'm going to end up teaching Sun C++, and since Sun C++ is
> based on ATT cfront v2.0, I need a 2.0 C++. Is Lattice based on
> C++ 1.2 or 2.0?
>
>         Mike

Lattice C++ is a compilation system based on cfront 1.1.  It includes a
version of the Lattice C compiler (4.xx).  If you have5.04, then I think
that you can buy Lattice C++ directly from Lattice for $200.  At least you
used to be able to.  It works pretty well, but it does have the cfront 1.1
bugs.  Lattice is reportedly working on either porting cfront 2.0 or writing
a 2.0 compliant compiler.  I certainly hope they have something soon.

Barry

rokicki@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (02/02/90)

I've been using Lattice C++, and I am quite pleased with the size of
the executables.  The streams package tends to be much larger than
stdio (just one of many reasons I stick with stdio, even in C++.)
I don't find the resultant executable to be larger than the equivalent
program in C.

-tom