[comp.sys.amiga] FALCON

jmoore@dtix.arpa (Moore) (01/06/89)

  In his 5 Jan 89 message, Carlos Smith writes :

 >There have been some harsh and unfair words said here about Falcon, all of
 >them by people who have apparently never even played the game. Falcon WAS
 >released with bugs, it doesn't work with 68020's, you must re-kickstart an
 >A1000 if you want to play it again after you have played previously (though
 >1.3 boots OK), the joystick has a bug (you can't pull back and turn at the
 >same time), and there are some minor display glitches. But there are many
 >companies who have released "professional" software with more bugs and
 >problems than Falcon has who have received fairer treatment here.

  But isn't the point to discourage the release of BETA software
  as the final product?  What if someone sold you an editor, or
  compiler that required rebooting after use?  Or a car whose
  doors open from the outside handles but the inside handles
  don't work?  How many people would have bought the game if it
  said "known bugs included!!!" ??  Also, what is the definition
  of "professional" software?  Are you saying that you should
  be more tolerant of bugs in "non-professional" software that
  you buy as opposed to "professional"?  Come on now!

  Also, another message said that they did the same type thing
  with their Mac product.  This isn't a one time thing..sounds
  like they do this as everyday practice.  I am not trying
  to slam them, just to test their software before releasing
  it and not release buggy software as the final product.

  Jim Moore
  jmoore@dtrc.arpa

  I have opinions, the Navy downs MiGS.

-------

Trick Question : Name one company, besides SubLOGIC, who has ever
	released a second version of any game.

It don't happen, I don't even know of one that tries to sneak fixes
into production without calling it a new version.

--Chuck McManis

In article <84394@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
|Trick Question : Name one company, besides SubLOGIC, who has ever
                       ^^^
|	released a second version of any game.
|
|It don't happen, I don't even know of one that tries to sneak fixes
|into production without calling it a new version.

Microsoft, with the Microsoft Flight Simulator (which of course was built by
Sublogic, so I cheated :-)

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) (01/08/89)

In article <14526@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>In article <84394@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>|Trick Question : Name one company, besides SubLOGIC, who has ever
>                       ^^^
>|	released a second version of any game.

     Discovery with Arkanoid?  Many new levels, same game, lower price.
Also, the first week that Jet was out, it had a few problems.  They have
since been fixed.  I know what you are saying though.  Usually any major
enhancements are released as a new game.  I guess this keeps the owners of
older versions from demanding upgrades.

.RS

Robert Silvers.                               rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu
Box #1003 University of Lowell.
Lowell Ma, 01854
(508) 452-5000 ex 2233

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) (01/09/89)

In article <84394@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>Trick Question : Name one company, besides SubLOGIC, who has ever
>	released a second version of any game.

Bethsada Softworks - v1.1 and v1.2 of GRIDIRON!  Quite a few things are
changed/fixed.

ARPA:    rlcarr@athena.mit.edu
UUCP:    {wherever}!mit-eddie!mit-athena!rlcarr
BITNET:  rlcarr%athena.mit.edu@MITVMA.mit.edu

* Rich Carreiro                 "MIT isn't Hell.  It's where you go when      *
* rlcarr@athena.mit.edu          you've been bad in Hell." - Anon.            *

robocop@netmbx.UUCP (Thorsten Ebers) (09/12/89)

How can I refuel or rearming during a mission ?
I mean,while fired too much having none sidewinders left I need more
sidewinders.Have I to land or what ?
Or having a lot of damage,how can I let repair ?
Questions over questions.Any goood tips for landing safely ?
Thorsten

--
Thorsten Ebers                      Overseas:..pyramid!tmpmbx!netmbx!robocop
Goerresstr.20                       Europe  :..altger!tmpmbx!netmbx!robocop

lang@hpfcso.HP.COM (John J. Lang) (02/02/90)

Does anyone know if you have to use the new mission disk to get the
easier landing features, and other bug fixes.  I have been using the new
Falcon with the old missions.  Should I switch to the new missions?

John Lang
lang@hpfcla
lang%hpfcla@hplabs