[comp.sys.amiga] Good audio digitizers?

network@zeus.unl.edu (01/23/90)

   I'm considering buying a audio digitizer for my A2000.  The first name
that comes to mind is Perfect Sound from Sunrize technologies.  However
I have heard rumors that Sunrize may be on the verge of financial bye-bye.
   My other concern is the the quality of the finished digitized sounds.
I want to digitize a wide variety of sounds from my stereo system.  I want
to get good quality, but I don't have any interest in fancy manipulation
of the sounds.  Storing sounds in iff format is a must.

If anyone out there has any suggestions or experience with this type of
audio digitizing I would be most grateful for a reply.

 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
: Steven Lendt              /\  Those little :-) symbols remind me of the    :
: Univ of Nebraska @ Omaha  \/  yellow happy face.  Now if I could find the  :
: Bitnet: network@unoma1    /\  original inventors of them, I would take     :
: Inet: network@zeus.unl.edu\/  great pleasure in wringing their necks.      :
:............................................................................:

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (01/25/90)

In article <6816.25bb00ac@zeus.unl.edu> network@zeus.unl.edu writes:

|   I'm considering buying a audio digitizer for my A2000.  The first name
|that comes to mind is Perfect Sound from Sunrize technologies.  However
|I have heard rumors that Sunrize may be on the verge of financial bye-bye.
|   My other concern is the the quality of the finished digitized sounds.
|I want to digitize a wide variety of sounds from my stereo system.  I want
|to get good quality, but I don't have any interest in fancy manipulation
|of the sounds.  Storing sounds in iff format is a must.

	SunRize industries just sent me an upgrade
	notice, so I'm not too sure they're that
	strapped.

	They apparently have improved both the
	hardware and the supporting software,
	so that one can now digitize up to 40000
	samples/second, or digitize a stereo source
	at up to 12000 samples/second/channel.

	The software saves samples in IFF format,
	and can create IFF instruments for music
	programs like DMCS, Sonix, etc. The new
	software will work with the old hardware.

--
  ,,,,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \$$/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) (02/02/90)

I can't *believe* this.  I'm 290 articles behind in comp.sys.amiga alone.
Please forgive me if this reply hits everyone totally out of context...

In article <25c3b8f9:4189.3comp.sys.amiga;1@tronsbox.UUCP>, bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) writes:

>Jeff Bevis says:
>>very soon... it's stereo and can support sampling at 60KHz with AudioMaster
>>II.
>>There's very little noise, and it's compatible with the rest of them.  All
>>this for about $69.   (Here comes the inevitable sales pitch) ...
>
>Sounds too good to be true!  Parallel port, right?  Count me in!

Too good to be true?  Naw, a good, decently-priced digitizer is something
we should have had a long time ago... $69 is, in my mind, still a little
pricey, but it's the best I can do in small quantities!  I'll add you to my
list of 'interested parties'...

As everyone who emailed me before knows, I haven't got everything (production-
wise) totally up to speed right yet..  Currently, I'm redrawing the PCB
with my own software... I wasn't satisfied with my initial layout.  While
this is good for the digitizer as a circuit, it's going to take me a little
bit longer to complete than the 2 weeks or so I told everyone... So, give
me 3 or 4!  :-)

I will be making available a 2 or 3 disk set of samples and playback software
for demonstration purposes.  I will post more info when this happens and
email to all who have inquired so far.

If anyone else out there is interested in more info, go ahead and email
bevis@en.ecn.purdue.edu and I will give you what I can.  For right now, please
be patient with me (I'm supposed to be a full-time student, and I work as
a consultant in the EE dept, too!) -- as we're all aware (see rejuvenator
history), things like this tend to stretch themselves out longer than they
were expected to be.  Rest assured that I'm getting little sleep whilst
trying to get things in order!

>uunet!tronsbox!bleys
>
>"The perversity of the universe tends to a maximum"
>
>                             Finagle's First Law

Jeff Bevis		     Purdue Univeristy School of Electrical Engineering
bevis@en.ecn.purdue.edu	  	   	       Give me Amiga or nothing at all.