[comp.sys.amiga] LaserWriter NT printer driver

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (01/22/90)

   Does anyone know the whereabouts, or can mail me, a copy of a printer
driver for the LaserWriter NT Postscript(r) printer?  Thanks       - JP

ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.OZ (Ian Farquhar) (01/24/90)

In article <26181@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:

>   Does anyone know the whereabouts, or can mail me, a copy of a printer
>driver for the LaserWriter NT Postscript(r) printer?  Thanks       - JP

I have been tring to write one for sometime.  Unfortunately, the
documentation on what the printer control codes do is non-existant, and
a request that I posted to comp.sys.amiga.tech either was unanswered, or
the replies were lost when my mailbox ended up being owned by someone
else (what a screw up!)  I have passed the article to CBM Oz, who are
looking into the questions.

I will post the finished product to the net.

Incidentally, why did you buy an Apple Postscript printer?  They are the
bottom of the heap.  Have a look at the NEC LC-890 which is almost $2000
cheaper in this country, and a much better printer.

All hail Saint Fubar, parton saint of computer programmers.

+-----------------------------------+-------------------------------+
|  Ian Farquhar                     | Phone : (02)  805-7420 (STD)  |
|  Microcomputer Support            |         (612) 805-7420 (ISD)  |
|  Office of Computing Services     | Fax   : (02)  805-7433 (STD)  |
|  Macquarie University  NSW  2109  |         (612) 805-7433 (ISD)  |
|  Australia                        | Also  :       805-7205        |
+-----------------------------------+-------------------------------+
|  ACSNet      ifarqhar@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz			    |
|              ifarqhar@mqccsuna.mqcc.mq.oz         		    |

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (02/02/90)

> Incidentally, why did you buy an Apple Postscript printer?  They are the
> bottom of the heap ....

Lots of reasons:

    1.  I got an excellent price on a brand new one.
    2.  There is a very good local dealer which answers all my questions,
        treats me courteously, gives me package deals on accessories like
        toner, cables (cheaper than I can make them myself), etc.  I
        purchased from him.
    3.  I have used a LOT of different laser printers in doing consulting
        jobs.  I have found the LaserWriters to be reliable and well-
        constructed in hundreds of hours of using them.
    4.  I am very fussy about output.  Most of the printers I would prefer
        to have are in the $15,000 range, but I don't exactly have that
        much to throw around.  I was NOT satisfied with the printouts from
        other laser printers in the same price range that I paid for this
        one.  The fonts on many of them are poor clones.  I notice the
        difference right away.  I had a lot of friends show me printouts
        from non-Postscript printers as well.  To them there was no differ-
        ence.  To me, there was a HUGE drop in quality.
    5.  I like the design of the NT.  It is more compact than many of the
        competitors (and smaller than the older LaserWriters).  I can even
        lift the beast myself, without hiring an army  (hmm, although hiring
        an army might be kind of fun).
                                        JP (LadyHawke@cup.portal.com)