[comp.sys.amiga] Aunt Arctic Adventure

uggbrand@cs.Buffalo.EDU (G. Brandon Brooks) (06/06/89)

     This is a response to a user whom I read his letter yesterday and I
finally got a chance to reply to today....

(1) Is it possible to restart a game of Aunt Arctic Adventure while changing
    a person's name WITHOUT rebooting the computer?
    Sure it is. The instructions are right in the instruction booklet.
(2) Why does Aunt Arctic Adventure lock-up sometimes when changing levels,
    and how can I avoid this?
    The game locks-up at certain levels occasionally when you just get to
    the level. There is no way around this. But, fortunately, if you had the
    diskette protection notch turned so that the program can write to the disk,
    it will save the level you got to, so when you reboot your computer
    you can get to the new level.
(3) How can I make more than 1 copy of the game?
    Why do you want to do this? There should be no reason unless you are
    pirating this program. A game such as Aunt Arctic Adventure will be
    enjoyable for a few months, since it is an adventure game, and disks
    last over a year at the least. If you have ONE back-up, you should be
    happy - you'll have the game virtually forever - it seems to me you have
    a pirated version of the game (see #1) and/or are trying to give it out
    to others. Please don't. Aunt Arctic Adventure is an excellent program
    that took long, hard hours for the author to program, and he did a very
    fine job!

gregmarq@pnet02.cts.com (Greg Marquez) (06/06/89)

> From: uggbrand@cs.Buffalo.EDU (G. Brandon Brooks)

>    Sure it is. The instructions are right in the instruction booklet.

>    the level. There is no way around this. But, fortunately, if you had the
>    diskette protection notch turned so that the program can write to the disk,

>(3) How can I make more than 1 copy of the game?
>    Why do you want to do this? There should be no reason unless you are
>    pirating this program. A game such as Aunt Arctic Adventure will be

>    last over a year at the least. If you have ONE back-up, you should be
>    happy - you'll have the game virtually forever - it seems to me you have
>    a pirated version of the game (see #1) and/or are trying to give it out
>    to others. Please don't. Aunt Arctic Adventure is an excellent program
>    that took long, hard hours for the author to program, and he did a very
>    fine job!

        Brandon,
                It's very easy to 'forget' to read the manual, especially when
        the instructions are only a paragraph or two long. . .burried in four
        pages of copywrite notices in several different languages.
                As for copying the disk:  I would like the peace of mind that
        I have a backup before letting my kids at the game. . .I play with
        my original Aunt Arctic Adventure, un-write protected, but I still
        wish for a backup. . .especially with the flaky copy protection it
        has (It only 'likes' one of our four Amigas).
                I don't see how it 'seems' that he has a copied version.  I
        would have asked the same questions a couple of weeks ago.

                                                        R.G.M.

Richard G. Marquez / Echidna Software       \|//   Echidna - the best little
3501 Jasmine Ave. #15 / L.A., Ca. 90034    _oo //     monotreme money can buy

gregmarq@pnet02.CTS.COM             {decwrl, ames}!gryphon!pnet02!gregmarq

pfaff@atlantis.asd.contel.com (Ray Pfaff - Oakwood 457 934-8162) (06/07/89)

> From: uggbrand@cs.Buffalo.EDU (G. Brandon Brooks)
>(3) How can I make more than 1 copy of the game?
>    Why do you want to do this? There should be no reason unless you are
>    pirating this program. A game such as Aunt Arctic Adventure will be

>    last over a year at the least. If you have ONE back-up, you should be
>    happy - you'll have the game virtually forever - it seems to me you have
>    a pirated version of the game (see #1) and/or are trying to give it out
>    to others. Please don't. Aunt Arctic Adventure is an excellent program
>    that took long, hard hours for the author to program, and he did a very
>    fine job!
Arrgh!  Why is it that anyone who makes a backup (or even more than one) is
labeled a pirate?  I make backups (and backups of my backups) quite often
since I learned that disk read/write errors and viruses are a fact of life!!
Sorry to get up on my soapbox here, but I`ve seen several references in
amiga-relay where people are accused of pirating just because they want a
backup of their software and I, for one, am tired of `em.

smc8516@ultb.isc.rit.edu (S.M. Curtin) (02/03/90)

Does anyone know if AuntArctic Adventure works on a 68010 based machine?
I've been wanting to buy this game for some time now, but ever since I
had dealer trouble in trying to exchange software that won't run on my
processor, I've been afraid to buy games.

As a follow up, does anyone know exactly why certain programs won't work
with 68010/20/30 machines even when something like DeciGel is present.
What other unspoken incompatibilities exist besides the famous Move
sr,ea difference?

Please post replies, as Mail to this site doesn't always work.

Thanks...

...Sean.