[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Learning Curve

d87-khd@sm.luth.se (Karl-Gunnar Hultland) (02/01/90)

In article <90031.090755UH2@PSUVM.BITNET> UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:
>In article <sZlahTu00WB8BSC1kP@andrew.cmu.edu>, sk2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Sun Kun
>Kim) says:
>>
>>                . . .                      How could anyone say that the
>>Amiga is harder to learn than an IBM??
>
>Easy.  With MSDOS, there is much less to learn.  It is a simple, single
>tasking environment with limited complexity.  The AMiga is a rich multi-
>tasking environment, with libraries, device handlers, printer drivers,
>lots of important invisible files that the novice user doesn't know about.
>
>The Amiga is more difficult to master because it does more, just as
>oil paints are more difficut to master than finger paints.
>
>By the way.  This same argument applies to Unix.
>
>                                                lee

OK but I thought the discussion was the learning curve of the
AVERAGE user, not the one who needs to program all the applications
they use. I have friends who after 1 hour EASY use all the software I
have, happily use multitasking in editing and printing multiple documents.
One does not have to know about libraries,devices etc.
The only thing one have to know is how to use preferences to choose which
printer are to be used. And if they need more power then there is the CLI
which is as difficult to learn as messydos.

					Karl

| Karl 'Dixie' Hultland |     email: d87-khd@sm.luth.se                       |
| University of Lulea   |          : {uunet,mcvax}!sunic.se!sm.luth.se!d87-khd|
| Sweden                | Snailmail: Mjolkuddsv. 63-5, S-95157 Lulea Sweden   |
|=======================| Voice nat: 0920-15479                               |
| Urbi et Orbi          | Voice int: +46 920 15479                            |
|=============================================================================|
|       If two people agree on EVERYTHING , one of them is OBSOLETE!!         |

chris@graham.UUCP (Chris Graham) (02/04/90)

void Flame()
{ /*
  Anyone who says the Amiga is harder to learn than the IBM is obviously
wacked in the head.  Even suppose the Amiga didn't have Workbench.
The Amiga CLI commands are easier to use because they're more advanced
so you don't need any distinctions as between COPY and XCOPY in MS-DOS.
On the contrary, it's far harder to learn DOS because if its sheer
primitiveness.

  Moreover, there are online help programs available in the Amiga Shareware
and PD community.  And, if you use the ARP commands, there is full online
documentation.  I don't see anything like that in the DOS world (although
I don't delve that much into that kingdom of stone knives and bearskins).
*/ }

  Perhaps the original poster meant that it is harder to learn *mastery* of
the Amiga than *mastery* of MS-DOS, then I suppose some agreement is in
order.  But but it is easier to learn the same facility in Amiga CLI than
in the DOS shell.  The problem for DOS users is that the same facility does
not exist in MS-DOS as in AmigaDOS as the user becomes more proficient.
Mastery of AmigaDOS is far more powerful than mastery of MS-DOS.